Gardeners Corner

Guest somner9

Im finished with gardening, the other week i was out the backdoor cutting the grass when the wuman

next door started banging her window and shouting get tae fcuk away fae there,, 2 mins later she was

round at my front door, you should have seen the look on my face when she threatened to go to the

police and report me for stealing clothes off her washing line,, tell you what i nearly shit her knickers..whistling.gif

Last year I bought a few tubs and planted potatoes for the first time. While there was a forest of shaws, the final crop was pretty poor, probably a function of the crap summer.............that's my excuse!!

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I ordered a greenhouse, and the attached pics show the area being prepared for slabs and a planting bed which I'm going to pop some potatoes into and see how it goes this time.

I had a greenhouse about 30 years ago, for a year or two, and grew tomatoes and sweetcorns in it. Might try some peppers and chillies this time too.

Cut lawn for first time yesterday and its awfy mossy, so time for some weed/feed and lawn sand.

Maybe Farmer John will come on and give us some tips, although it doesn't necessarily follow that farmers make good gardeners!!

Good thread, and hopefully we can all record our progress over the summer, when it decides to come.

post-1555-0-49871000-1367169604_thumb.jppost-1555-0-35615600-1367169662_thumb.jp

Last year I bought a few tubs and planted potatoes for the first time. While there was a forest of shaws, the final crop was pretty poor, probably a function of the crap summer.............that's my excuse!!

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I ordered a greenhouse, and the attached pics show the area being prepared for slabs and a planting bed which I'm going to pop some potatoes into and see how it goes this time.

I had a greenhouse about 30 years ago, for a year or two, and grew tomatoes and sweetcorns in it. Might try some peppers and chillies this time too.

Cut lawn for first time yesterday and its awfy mossy, so time for some weed/feed and lawn sand.

Maybe Farmer John will come on and give us some tips, although it doesn't necessarily follow that farmers make good gardeners!!

Good thread, and hopefully we can all record our progress over the summer, when it decides to come.

attachicon.gifIMG_3365.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3367.JPG

seems like you have good foundations and damp proof membrane for the front and sides of your greenhouse, where is the back going to rest on and get it's damp proofing from, please don't tell me it's going to be sitting on the slabs that have no damp proof membrane and no solid footing

seems like you have good foundations and damp proof membrane for the front and sides of your greenhouse, where is the back going to rest on and get it's damp proofing from, please don't tell me it's going to be sitting on the slabs that have no damp proof membrane and no solid footing

Intention is to slab out the bigger area (using piled up slabs in background) and fix greenhouse to slabs. No dpc. Slabs on hardcore should be adequate, they are 3x2 and incredibly heavy. Narrower area is for planting spuds outside.

Intention is to slab out the bigger area (using piled up slabs in background) and fix greenhouse to slabs. No dpc. Slabs on hardcore should be adequate, they are 3x2 and incredibly heavy. Narrower area is for planting spuds outside.

your greenhouse being fixed to individual slabs will be subject to the movement of each individual slab, the slab itself will be solid but the ground underneath whether topped with hardcore or not, will still move and the slab on top will move with it, the new slabs your laying obviously have polythene dpc membrane under them, my concern is the slabs already there will have no dpc and will allow excess moisture into your greenhouse - this might actually be beneficial to your plants, but will afford those slabs more potential for movement, i could be completely wrong and everything will move at the same time, but meanwhile can i have the contract to supply your replacement glass - just in case, i do wish you well in your project but am just pointing out some possible pitfalls - i mean no harm just offering some friendly advice

yes , 'grunters'. Worthwhile when laid , but you know all about it , forearms like Popeye

Budddiecat, your advice is received in a similar friendly manner

The plastic isn't a dpc, just covering over the newly laid brickwork. The slabbed area is slightly higher than the planter and I don't honestly see water/moisture as being a problem in relation to movement.

With regard to movement, I'm going on the principle that the greenhouse is relatively light and differential movement at the base is unlikely to exceed some deflection at the eaves during a storm.

I did toy with the idea (and still might do it) of laying and fixing a timber wallplate on the slabs just to try and even the base out over the slabs, but I concluded that the potential for this decaying or needing painting outweigh any disadvantages of just fixing to the slabs themselves.

Thanks for your comments...............and we can discuss the glass replacent contract if/when it arises!!!

your greenhouse being fixed to individual slabs will be subject to the movement of each individual slab, the slab itself will be solid but the ground underneath whether topped with hardcore or not, will still move and the slab on top will move with it, the new slabs your laying obviously have polythene dpc membrane under them, my concern is the slabs already there will have no dpc and will allow excess moisture into your greenhouse - this might actually be beneficial to your plants, but will afford those slabs more potential for movement, i could be completely wrong and everything will move at the same time, but meanwhile can i have the contract to supply your replacement glass - just in case, i do wish you well in your project but am just pointing out some possible pitfalls - i mean no harm just offering some friendly advice

I was laying a new driveway, and got two ton of bulk gravel and 20 or so 3x2 slabs delivered from Grants in Love Street. The slabs were lying on top of the gravel in the back of the lorry. The driver didn't look out of the ordinary, about 6ft 2in tall,but did seem a wee bit slow on the uptake. However I was seriously impressed when he started lifting the slabs out at shoulder height and arms length. I had to balance them on my kness and shuffle along with the. Seriously strong bugger, he was.

Guest somner9

Mods!!!!

I am deeply concerned with the insidious creep of blatant Diy/Building posts thrusting their erections down our throats as we gardeners; on our hands and knees are forced to swallow against our will the load, of builders across our town and county.

If the boot was on the other foot and we reached round the backway into a building thread, driving our posts home against unwilling, frightened, tense builder types. Who seem intent to ignore advice and the principles of gardening up a steep incline to always lubricate the shaft of your rake so it glides easily to and fro eliminating unecessary friction between us!

In summary if the builders want hardcore? we'll be only too happy to go along with a dry-mix.

Mods!!!!

I am deeply concerned with the insidious creep of blatant Diy/Building posts thrusting their erections down our throats as we gardeners; on our hands and knees are forced to swallow against our will the load, of builders across our town and county.

If the boot was on the other foot and we reached round the backway into a building thread, driving our posts home against unwilling, frightened, tense builder types. Who seem intent to ignore advice and the principles of gardening up a steep incline to always lubricate the shaft of your rake so it glides easily to and fro eliminating unecessary friction between us!

In summary if the builders want hardcore? we'll be only too happy to go along with a dry-mix.

Are you not willing to get your hands as dirty as your mind obviously is?

Tottie was a stoatir. One of those guys that seemed to play his football with a smile on his face. Pity he went on to play for Rangers. He died a few years back.

Back on topic. I can't get a celeriac anywhere just now. Are they in season? And can they be grown in a garden?

They're no currently in season and aye, ye can grow them.

Mods!!!!

at this time of year, i tend to frequent the the undergrowth hoping to come across some young buds, I'm expecting to catch some fresh shoots very soon.

It's been a bit dry around my patch recently, maybe if i were to give it a bit of a spray i might see more coming through

some might not like the intervention of builder types coming onto this thread and delving into the parts they are most interested in, i was merely trying to help the chap who's erection could possibly be in danger of bending should he choose to lay something he may later regret,there is a possibility that he could end up with something in his backdoor which could cause him grief, but he does semengly have a firm grasp of the flexibilty of his erection regarding the possibility of the earth moving for him,

Guest somner9

at this time of year, i tend to frequent the the undergrowth hoping to come across some young buds, I'm expecting to catch some fresh shoots very soon.

It's been a bit dry around my patch recently, maybe if i were to give it a bit of a spray i might see more coming through

Isn't it a trait of Rolf 'Didgeridoo' Harris to 'hang out' near the undergrowth?

"hey kids can you tell what it is yet?"

Try listening to this video, not looking but understanding Rolf is surrounded by eight kids as he explains what he's doing. I lasted about forty seconds before creasing up in insane laughter.

http://youtu.be/p4DdMEJNoKw

Edited by somner9

Guest somner9

some might not like the intervention of builder types coming onto this thread and delving into the parts they are most interested in, i was merely trying to help the chap who's erection could possibly be in danger of bending should he choose to lay something he may later regret,there is a possibility that he could end up with something in his backdoor which could cause him grief, but he does semengly have a firm grasp of the flexibilty of his erection regarding the possibility of the earth moving for him,

Sounds like your "Friend" isn't a builder type after all? Indeed he may be employed at the local confectionery plant in the packing dept, making sure the fudge is squeezed in as tightly as poss!

Guest somner9

What a day , has spring sprung clap.gif

Excitement builds, holiday weekend looms, hit the garden hit B and Q or nurseries in search of colour splashes for garden pots and beds..................what's best and last longest

Apparently Frank Bough was a feckin stallion with the endurance of Red Rum!

My man shed is being delivered and erected a week todayclap.gif

It is a pretty large hut (16'X8'), so required a proper concrete base (4" to 6" thick). I had provisionally arranged for I guy a know who has a tarmac/paving business to sort this out for me but he let me down (note to self: don't rely on informal arrangements between 'mates'). This left me in the position of laying out the foundation slab myself. I had to dig it out then shovel 2 tonnes of sub-base in - no easy task as the shed is going to be at the bottom of my garden which is 20 steps down from the level. Fortunately, a mate has experience of laying concrete so he helped me with the rest of the base. By Christ, it was hard work (and not cheap). Some £200+ later, I had a huge trailer full of ballast (110 x approx 30kg bags) and cement (20 bags), that had to be launched down the hill.

After all the effort that has gone into preparing for the shed to be built, I reckon I've earned the beer that will be in the fridge I'll be installing down there. This shed is intended as my sanctuary. My haven. Somewhere to hang my framed Saints photos, and listen to 6 Music, while sipping a cold beer or a good malt.

I can't wait!

Edited by Drew

It is a pretty large hut (16'X8'), so required a proper concrete base (4" to 6" thick). I had provisionally arranged for I guy a know who has a tarmac/paving business to sort this out for me but he let me down (note to self: don't rely on informal arrangements between 'mates'). This left me in the position of laying out the foundation slab myself. I had to dig it out then shovel 2 tonnes of sub-base in - no easy task as the shed is going to be at the bottom of my garden which is 20 steps down from the level. Fortunately, a mate has experience of laying concrete so he helped me with the rest of the base. By Christ, it was hard work (and not cheap). Some £200+ later, I had a huge trailer full of ballast (110 x approx 30kg bags) and cement (20 bags), that had to be launched down the hill.

After all the effort that has gone into preparing for the shed to be built, I reckon I've earned the beer that will be in the fridge I'll be installing down there. This shed is intended as my sanctuary. My haven. Somewhere to hang my framed Saints photos, and listen to 6 Music, while sipping a cold beer or a good malt.

I can't wait!

Hmmm, sounds good, maybe it's time to start posting some images

Lighting , small power for services, assume you will also be installing hangers for the garden utensils

How will you insect proof your domain though , that can be a challenge and one I'm determined to resolve before I start planning for the finishings that really add the gloss of completeness to the sanctuary

Guest somner9

I can't wait!

Mods... Ffs!

I haven't been stabbing the dirt all morning with my neighbour Crawford, who prefers 'hands on' when ploughing my back area. Just to read another blatant 'Builder's Post'!

They come on here shooting their 'muck' (brickie sland for sement apparently) all over us gardeners, without so much as a 'safety glasses are provided' or 'use eyewash if muck shot into eyes'....

i don't care how big, wide, luxurious or well hung their erections are..! sheds aren't gardens!

Hmmm, sounds good, maybe it's time to start posting some images

Lighting , small power for services, assume you will also be installing hangers for the garden utensils

How will you insect proof your domain though , that can be a challenge and one I'm determined to resolve before I start planning for the finishings that really add the gloss of completeness to the sanctuary

Running power for some lighting (inc. mood lighting for those more contemplative moments/self interference) and the beer fridge and general power tool use. I don't want too many tools hanging about, so most of my mates won't be invited roundwhistling.gif

I intend having a workshop section and a lounge area. I'm on the lookout for a couple of suitably fatigued leather chairs or similar, so won't be unduly concerned if the beasties secure ingress. In saying that, i intend to go nuts with the silicon gun and have considered a spot of insulation. The cladding is 19mm thick, so quite heavy duty, but there will inevitably be a few joints needing smoked filled to prevent water and wind getting in.

I'll take a snap of the foundation and post it later. It needs a bit of tidying up, and the forming removed but is suitably utilitarian for its purpose.