B&w Army 8S - Every Wednesday 2000 To 2100 Sign Up Now

div

Div, everyone turned up with Steven Logan standing in at last minute for Andy Newport. Cheers! I think it would be a good idea if you could reset the teams for next week adding everyone after Andy who couldn't make it due to short notice to top of standby list. What do you and everyone think?

Big Ben had a mare in turning up last and blaming her indoors for not packing the bibs in the bag with the balls he brought. Turned in a sterling performance though and marshaled the old boys to a narrow victory. Another enjoyable game with good performances and interesting goals. Would recommend anyone adding their name to the list and getting a run out at Dome. :-)

too many things to remember. Balls, kitty cash, bibs. 2 out if 3 aint bad. I may have forgot bibs but at least i watched them Davy;-)

What odds on me remembering them next week?

There were no overnight call offs but there is still time for Nicky to get a late call up as we seem to have had a few recently.

Div said he is going to send a teamer invite out for the St Mirren quiz night and gauge interest levels. I can't make it but sounds like a good shout for an b and w army 8's night out. I actually have £119 in the kitty and Div has another £100.:-)

A jam-packed midweek International football calendar occurred last night, and coincided with my return to the B&WA 8s fold at The Thunderdome* after a few weeks away, where I lined up in the bright tangerine of the oldies.

Oh the humanity! youngman-sign.gifspudnikconfounded.gif

However, and given that the youngsters’ goal was in semi-darkness owing to temporary ‘floodlight failure’, this was perhaps apt as Mr Zo and I discussed the merits of us oldies swapping ends, given that we couldn’t really see the goals we were ultimately aiming for…

And to kick off! The oldies started stronger, and this was demonstrated consummately as Brian C burst down the right wing in the first few minutes, before arching over the most delicious of crosses for me to run on to and volley home without breaking stride – a move that could have been given a monetary value by art historians, such was its simple-yet-breathtaking beauty. And breathtaking it must have been…

… as the next ten minutes or so saw the youngsters take control of the game with more incisive passing (Dougiy et al) and finishing (particularly big Mark and big Fraser) than that on show from their more senior cohorts, who struggled to get anywhere near the ball. The oldies played as if they had one eye on a big cup tie at the weekend, where simple passes failed to find their targets and the final ball in the opposition territory never appeared to cause any hurt to the youngsters' goal. Big Ian B and I feckin’ up a 2 v 1 sums this up as his pass to me for a tap in fell just behind me, and as I stopped to readjust I lost my footing, slicing the ball over the bar from about three yards out. The oldies did have their moments, just not enough of them.

The youngsters ran out comfortable winners in the end, and what is apparent is that there is good camaraderie throughout the squad and the game is played akin to swimming in Highland Park and Talisker (in good spirits…).

On a personal note, my neck is still in absolutely agony today after my sweeper-keeper antics involved breaking up an attack and setting up one, only for an attempted block on my forward pass resulting in my head cushioning the fall of the opposition (name?).

So, to MOTM king.gif no real stand outs from the oldies unfortunately, which is not surprising given the crushing defeat. Luke in goals was again outstanding, and the attacking players banging in the goals left, right and centre would also have been worthy nominees. The writer’s vote goes to Mark K who broke up attack after attack, and always picked out a pass. He could’ve played with that favourite of the Cuban cigar portfolio, a Montecristo No. 2, such was his performance level, and it appears to have been backed up in Teamer given his 4 votes from 8 thus far. Well played!! thumbup2.gif

*Teamer venue change from The Feegiedome 1eye.gif

I know there's a few of the guys here desperate for some football. If anyone's interested, me and some other guys play 7s at the sports HUB in Johnstone every Tuesday evening. Pretty good standard, good bunch of guys we have. There's nearly always space for a few extra bodies as well.

Bit of a demolition for us young 'uns last night, it must of finished about 12-2! Would have been more if it wasn't for Luke in goals as well.

First bit of exercise I have down in a couple of months, it took me about 30 minutes to get my 2nd wind and get into the game sad.png. Hopefully next week we'll get our revenge!

P.S I blame the ball, was like playing with one of those fly aways whistling.gif