B&w Army 8S - Every Wednesday 2000 To 2100 Sign Up Now

div

So, last night saw my welcome (in my opinion…1eye.gif ) return to the infamous Black & White Army 8-a-side arena, and was also my first game this year in Scotland.

The ball was an official Euro ’12 Tango match ball but, unfortunately, was a little on the soft side.

And so, to the game… the ball was kicked deep in to the half defended by the bibs (who started off with 7) and I sent it back with the game’s first shot on goal; a shot on target well saved by the non-bibbed goalkeeper. A sign of things to come for not only me, but the rest of those adorned by bright orange.

The bibs were not the only eye-catching attire on display with big Mark’s size further embellished by this season’s third kit in its entirety (it was difficult to ‘mark’ him without sunglasses), an Adelaide Crows Aussie rules kit (whistling.gif ) and Richard’s Darth Vader / Batman tribute to arm armour.

The non-bibs took the lead ten minutes in, just as a eighth bibbed-player took to the pitch, and a lead by a few goals was soon established – their defensive robustness accentuated by the physical presence of Messrs Montgomery, Hanley and Zo, which provided the counter-attacking platform for big Mark, big Ian and Brian C.

However, the lead at this stage was primarily due to the high goal / shot ratio – the bibs had peppered the opposition goal with shots which were just missing the target, being heroically-blocked or brilliantly-saved. Some of my team appeared to play with a paint brush and palette in their hands, such was the flair and artistry of the football at times.

The game continued in this custom but goals were then scored by both sides with more frequency. Goal of the game was scored by Ian Craig (thanks, REA) of the bibs* when he curled one from the 20 yards out on the left right in to the postage stamp. clap.gif

The consensus at full-time was that the score was level, perhaps a fair reflection of the game.

MOTM? king.gif A few performances merit a mention, but for some spectacular saves and blocks that would make a Fuji Tree Frog yoga-enthusiast look on incredulously, and for good, early distribution, my nomination goes to the bibbed goalkeeper Luke. Well played, sir! thumbup2.gif

I had quite the swollen ankle after the game (historic chocolate ankle) but thanks to the miracles of modern-day science-in-sport, I was able to temper the swelling. That is, Quorn ‘mince’ was used instead of frozen peas…

Edited by RockWithTheCaveman

So, last night saw my welcome (in my opinion…1eye.gif ) return to the infamous Black & White Army 8-a-side arena, and was also my first game this year in Scotland.

The ball was an official Euro ’12 Tango match ball but, unfortunately, was a little on the soft side.

And so, to the game… the ball was kicked deep in to the half defended by the bibs (who started off with 7) and I sent it back with the game’s first shot on goal; a shot on target well saved by the non-bibbed goalkeeper. A sign of things to come for not only me, but the rest of those adorned by bright orange.

The bibs were not the only eye-catching attire on display with big Mark’s size further embellished by this season’s third kit in its entirety (it was difficult to ‘mark’ him without sunglasses), an Adelaide Crows Aussie rules kit (whistling.gif ) and Richard’s Darth Vader / Batman tribute to arm armour.

The non-bibs took the lead ten minutes in, just as a eighth bibbed-player took to the pitch, and a lead by a few goals was soon established – their defensive robustness accentuated by the physical presence of Messrs Montgomery, Hanley and Zo, which provided the counter-attacking platform for big Mark, big Ian and Brian C.

However, the lead at this stage was primarily due to the high goal / shot ratio – the bibs had peppered the opposition goal with shots which were just missing the target, being heroically-blocked or brilliantly-saved. Some of my team appeared to play with a paint brush and palette in their hands, such was the flair and artistry of the football at times.

The game continued in this custom but goals were then scored by both sides with more frequency. Goal of the game was scored by the bibs* when he curled one from the 20 yards out on the left right in to the postage stamp. clap.gif

The consensus at full-time was that the score was level, perhaps a fair reflection of the game.

MOTM? king.gif A few performances merit a mention, but for some spectacular saves and blocks that would make a Fuji Tree Frog yoga-enthusiast look on incredulously, and for good, early distribution, my nomination goes to the bibbed goalkeeper*. Well played, sir! thumbup2.gif

I had quite the swollen ankle after the game (historic chocolate ankle) but thanks to the miracles of modern-day science-in-sport, I was able to temper the swelling. That is, Quorn ‘mince’ was used instead of frozen peas…

*if anyone can advise names, I’ll update post accordingly.

Goal of the Game was Scored by Ian i believe

The 16 confirmed for this weeks game are;

Gareth Fairley

Ross McNicol

Neil Cameron

Andy Newport

David Wilson

Alan Cassidy

Mark Logan

Mark Kennedy

Luke Jolly

Brian Casey

Fraser Burns

Ian Brown

Brian Hanley

Ian Craig

Dougiy Collins

Richard Atkinson

I didn't know that Fraz B was a no show last week when I setup the invites for this game. You are lucky big man, but still a yellow card offence.

Hi Lads,

As per Mr Zo comments above I'll be taking a break from the Wednesday night game for wee while thanks to the arrival of wee Finn Montgomery (wife wasn't happy with my name suggestion of Guni Tommo Monty for some reason?!?).

thanks for the games over the last few weeks, was a good laugh and run around; and hope to be back after a few months sabbatical.

cheers,

Monty

Got an email from Brian Caldwell today as follows;

Hows your memory?

Do you remember the Wednesday night you were playing in the dome and that night the dome came down later on? It was 2nd time it came down
I know the lights were flickering with the wind that night and maybe even went off and then back on but do you recall the sides of the dome coming in at all or anything else from that night?

I wasn't playing in the game he mentioned so can anyone who was please post up what they can remember and I will channel information back to him.

Ta

Got an email from Brian Caldwell today as follows;

Hows your memory?

Do you remember the Wednesday night you were playing in the dome and that night the dome came down later on? It was 2nd time it came down

I know the lights were flickering with the wind that night and maybe even went off and then back on but do you recall the sides of the dome coming in at all or anything else from that night?

I wasn't playing in the game he mentioned so can anyone who was please post up what they can remember and I will channel information back to him.

Ta

Yes the sides were blowing in on all sides. Causing a light to smash itself against the dome whilst we were still in it.

I know we keep saying this but yet another brilliant game of football tonight with the oldies edging a thrilling game by one goal. Luke Jolly between the sticks for the youngsters was in outstanding form and was my man of the match. Roll over Div there is a new cat between the sticks.

Everyone attended this week (thanks Fraser).

I know we keep saying this but yet another brilliant game of football tonight with the oldies edging a thrilling game by one goal. Luke Jolly between the sticks for the youngsters was in outstanding form and was my man of the match. Roll over Div there is a new cat between the sticks.

Everyone attended this week (thanks Fraser).

Excellent game tonight! Thoroughly enjoyable, fought to the very end! David, you were my MOTM. Can't wait for next week, bring it on!