750G Loaf

Bud the Baker

Sorry to be talking about work and I apologize if this bores you but plans are afoot to reduce the weight of a large loaf from the current 800g to 750g. The volume will remain the same by varying key ingredients like yeast & enzymes but you will be getting more air. The price is set to remain the same and the extra profit will be divvied between the manufacturers & the supermarkets.

Sorry to be talking about work and I apologize if this bores you but plans are afoot to reduce the weight of a large loaf from the current 800g to 750g. The volume will remain the same by varying key ingredients like yeast & enzymes but you will be getting more air. The price is set to remain the same and the extra profit will be divvied between the manufacturers & the supermarkets.

Interesting to hear.

Is this a multilateral decision on the part of manufacturers, and if so, isn't there an obscure EU directive that could be used to veto the plan?

Edited by Drew

Interesting to hear.

Is this a multilateral decision on the part of manufacturers, and if so, isn't there an obscure EU directive that could be used to veto the plan?

I'm not sure whether the driving force is from the supermarkets or manufacturers (supermarkets probably) but I work for a large bread manufacturing company (think Dvorzak: New World Symphony) & we also make Own Label brands and we are currently doing trials on this issue and the rumours are that our competitors are doing the same, basically the gossip is if one of the majors jumps we all will. I'm no zurich_allan but as long as the nutritional information is correct I don't know if anything can be done - it's not unique.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/jan/21/food-products-shrinking-recession

Do independent bakers have to comply with that?

For a basic Pan Loaf I'd imagine the answer would be yes - for more exotic loaves probably not.

Edited by Bud the Baker

thats what happens with most companys, too many ootsiders,,,whistling.gif

seems everyone is looking for a slice of the action

best not to get a cob on but It’s hard not to get upset though, it’s just another batch of injustices. There is plain evidence that the industry is going down the pan

Who gets the profit? I suspect the bakers will baguette. But there will be a few crumbs for the supermarkets.

I think that i am the yeast qualified to comment though as i tend to indulge in floury language

Time for lunch, i may snack but am thinking of having a whole meal