Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

I don't really see much difference between signing players permanently versus signing them permanently.

There isn't any (sorrytongue.png ).

To be fair, this time last year I would have agreed wholeheartedly with Lex in respect of the loan signing situation, but it is amazing what a few quality loan deals can do in terms of influencing my views on this.

My thoughts were that we shouldn't be developing loan players for another club at the expense of our own lads, but that only applies if we have young players ready to take the step up.

For me, it is about getting a balance, but I absolutely see the benefit of good loan singings....with 'good' being the operative word.

I'd imagine that as one of the few teams operating within our budget would make signing gems quite a difficult job?

Having a low budget and, before last season, nothing really to offer decent players, would make not make joining St Mirren a very exciting prospect.

This is the reality that Lennon has had to work with.

Come to think of it, more of a miracle that I thought that we won the league cup under these conditions right enough.

what we have got going for us is Thompson, Teale, Goodwin and McGowan - Im sure if you sat any prospective signing in front of these guys for a chat (maybe not let Gowser do the talking) then it would be an easy sell for anyone to join the bunch of lads for a year.

There isn't any (sorrytongue.png ).

To be fair, this time last year I would have agreed wholeheartedly with Lex in respect of the loan signing situation, but it is amazing what a few quality loan deals can do in terms of influencing my views on this.

My thoughts were that we shouldn't be developing loan players for another club at the expense of our own lads, but that only applies if we have young players ready to take the step up.

For me, it is about getting a balance, but I absolutely see the benefit of good loan singings....with 'good' being the operative word.

I don't really see any difference between loans and permanent signings. Most contracts are pretty short term these days, and players don't usually stick around for long.

The only drawback that I can see is that maybe you don't know what you're getting. Also as you're dependent of the parent club, the availability of the right type of player maybe an issue. So there seems to be an element of risk in relying on getting good loan players in. It's possible that Danny and Tommy have a much better idea I suppose.During Danny's time here we have had some exceptional players on loan.

The upside is probably that it gives us access to players we would simply not be able to afford to bring in otherwise. Obviously we can't sell them, but with the exception of very young players it's unlikely we will be attracting a transfer fee for any players these days.

If we can get any more players in like McGowan, Newton, Dummett and Goncalves, I don't see how it can be of anything other than a benefit for the team.

• 2 weeks later...

Saying all the right things. The way we play football suits his game perfectly. He's right we are an attractive prospect for players looking to sign, here's hoping we can bring in quite a few more players of Gary's quality.

• 6 months later...

Posted in June.

Looks like I'll need to look out that Hi fs record yet again...

Hate to say I told you so, alright.

Wonder what the BOD are thinking at the mo , with all Danny's signings getting the bullet 'cos they're pish ! New contract for DL or not ?

Not impressed and i don't think he's the kind of player we need at St Mirren.  He's not as good as McGowan and he has attitude issues, i frankly have no idea why we have signed him after we secured Gowsers signature.

I hope i'm proved wrong but i think we are looking at Dougie Imrie mark ll.

Posted in June.

Looks like I'll need to look out that Hives record again...

Hate to say I told you so, alright.

Wonder what the BOD are thinking at the mo , with all Danny's signings getting the bullet 'cos they're pish ! New contract for DL or not ?

Good question.

That's Cornell, Bahoken, Harkins (assuming this is true) Caprice and Dillon been punted already.

Out of the 7 players he signed in the summer only 2 of them are still here.

That's an absolutely remarkable wastage rate. I'm sure the BoD will take this into account when considering if Danny deserves a new contract or not.

Good question.

That's Cornell, Bahoken, Harkins (assuming this is true) Caprice and Dillon been punted already.

Out of the 7 players he signed in the summer only 2 of them are still here.

That's an absolutely remarkable wastage rate. I'm sure the BoD will take this into account when considering if Danny deserves a new contract or not.

Im not defending Lennon with the following, though it doesnt look good at all with the players mentioned.

Cornell - From what i believe both Cornell and Dilo were recommended by Mathers and Danny trusted this judgement. Early stages of Cornell showed it was too much of a risk signing him as a first choice goalie.

Bahoken - Absolute panic signing. I just cant bring myself to believe that we scouted him even though Danny talked him up to be a wonder signing. Couldn't have shown up well in training to not be given a better chance in the first team.

Harkins - I still honestly think that Danny and Tommy never seen a chance in hell that McGowan would stay hence the signing of Harkins. When Gowser re-signed we were left with two like for like players. I do think when he is not involved from the start that his work ethic looks very average.

Caprice - Absolutely no idea why we took the boy in on loan. Maybe it was a lack of signings, this boy came in as a cheap option as a squad player. Never really got a chance, though that maybe shows that he was maybe not cut out for this level.

Dillon - I seen Dillon as more of one of the Under 19 players with a push for the first team, and that possibly Longwell had a say on this signing. He has left due to homesickness.

Im not defending Lennon with the following, though it doesnt look good at all with the players mentioned.

Cornell - From what i believe both Cornell and Dilo were recommended by Mathers and Danny trusted this judgement. Early stages of Cornell showed it was too much of a risk signing him as a first choice goalie.

Bahoken - Absolute panic signing. I just cant bring myself to believe that we scouted him even though Danny talked him up to be a wonder signing. Couldn't have shown up well in training to not be given a better chance in the first team.

Harkins - I still honestly think that Danny and Tommy never seen a chance in hell that McGowan would stay hence the signing of Harkins. When Gowser re-signed we were left with two like for like players. I do think when he is not involved from the start that his work ethic looks very average.

Caprice - Absolutely no idea why we took the boy in on loan. Maybe it was a lack of signings, this boy came in as a cheap option as a squad player. Never really got a chance, though that maybe shows that he was maybe not cut out for this level.

Dillon - I seen Dillon as more of one of the Under 19 players with a push for the first team, and that possibly Longwell had a say on this signing. He has left due to homesickness.

We could write a book about every signing.

However I'll sum it up in a few words: The reason none of them are still here is because they're not good enough. Simple.

If they were good enough they'd still bet here. Danny Lennon signed 7 players in the summer and he's already decided 5 of them aren't good enough.

Unless we are bringing players in promptly...I would also wonder what the board are thinking!

We are already short of attacking options, and as pish as Harkins has been, he is at least an option. And with Teale still a month away...we will be beyond the bare bones.

Fingers crossed for new faces shortly!

We could write a book about every signing.

However I'll sum it up in a few words: The reason none of them are still here is because they're not good enough. Simple.

If they were good enough they'd still bet here. Danny Lennon signed 7 players in the summer and he's already decided 5 of them aren't good enough.

And some managers would be stubborn enough to ignore it. He has bitten the bullet and shownvthatvhe has admitted they were failures.

Agree with HSS, Harkins is definitely a talent.