Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

And some managers would be stubborn enough to ignore it. He has bitten the bullet and shownvthatvhe has admitted they were failures.

Agree with HSS, Harkins is definitely a talent.

Agreed. Danny deserves credit for cleaning up the mess he made, but he also deserves criticism for making the mess in the first place.

Harkins is a talent and has been his whole career. He failed with us for the same reason he failed everywhere outside the Scottish second tier:

He doesn't have the required fitness, attitude or work rate of a player at this level. He never has had and he never will have.

I thought Harkins would be a great signing after I saw him tear us apart at Dens shortly before the Cup Final.

We then re-signed McGowan and I couldn't see where he would fit in. That's been proven but I still think he could do a job in the midfield if McGowan wasn't there. He's the kind of guy you just need to let do his own thing.

I hope he can come back next year, if McGowan goes, and prove himself.

Where has the Rooney story emanted from? On here?

Doesn't seem at all likely, but you never know, I suppose.

Harkins was a meh signing in what was the most underwhelming close season for business (aside from retaining Gowser and Newton) since Danny's first at the club.

He is a luxury player, but only if he isn't needed to make a telling contribution (ie - if he comes on when we are comfortably in control of a match). As it goes, we are very seldom in this position so cannot afford to indulge in luxuries.

Not for me, I'm afraid.

Poor player and hope the twitter rumours are true, hope he moves on and frees up a decent wage!

Paul Mcgowan works his nuts off in a game of football, it doesn't always come off for him but his movement off the ball and work rate is superb. Gary Harkins could do with watching him a bit to see what is involved in being in a play maker....

Harkins hasnt been that bad, the problem is everyone knows he is gifted and has ability so the fans are on his back anytime he gets a game when he is walking or jogging when he should be running. The other problem is that there is just no where for him to play, he's not got the engine or energy to play central mid and our current formation doesnt allow for him to be the guy behind a couple of strikers where he probably is best.

We could write a book about every signing.

However I'll sum it up in a few words: The reason none of them are still here is because they're not good enough. Simple.

If they were good enough they'd still bet here. Danny Lennon signed 7 players in the summer and he's already decided 5 of them aren't good enough.

I don't disagree that the signings, for the most part have been pish. When signing guys from PL, championship clubs though you've got to reckon they can play a bit? The other option is the gus route of signing spl journey men!

Id rather take the gamble then have the likes of jim Hamilton @ stmirren again!

Edited by Herdo

Harkins hasnt been that bad, the problem is everyone knows he is gifted and has ability so the fans are on his back anytime he gets a game when he is walking or jogging when he should be running. The other problem is that there is just no where for him to play, he's not got the engine or energy to play central mid and our current formation doesnt allow for him to be the guy behind a couple of strikers where he probably is best.

Spot on. He's a luxury player in a team/league that has absolutely no room for luxuries.

What surprises me about this development (if true) is that he'd manage to get a gig at a League One side.

I'd say its a good move for him but I think some of the comments about him are a bit harsh. Until the Killie game he was just another player on the bench waiting for a chance. Yeah he didn't look like he could be arsed but neither did half the team the first quarter of this season. He like others need to be playing to get the best from them, 5-10 mins every other week isn't enough.

If things don't go well for McGowan and he does a short stretch inside I would have thought harkins would have been in with a shout of a regular start.