Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

Spot on. He's a luxury player in a team/league that has absolutely no room for luxuries.

What surprises me about this development (if true) is that he'd manage to get a gig at a League One side.

Now confirmed at the Oldham end , his best mate's the manager and there are a few of his ex team mates down there ie Dayton. They seem to think it's a loan with a view to a permanent deal !

I'd say its a good move for him but I think some of the comments about him are a bit harsh. Until the Killie game he was just another player on the bench waiting for a KFC Bucket meal Yeah he didn't look like he could be arsed but neither did half the team the first quarter of this season. He like others need to be playing to get the best from them, 5-10 mins every other week isn't enough.

If things don't go well for McGowan and he does a short stretch inside I would have thought harkins would have been in with a shout of a regular start.

Agree.

Now confirmed at the Oldham end , his best mate's the manager and there are a few of his ex team mates down there ie Dayton. They seem to think it's a loan with a view to a permanent deal !

This is fantastic news. The problem with the 'view to a permanent deal' bit is they're going to see him play between now and the end of the season.

If only they'd taken him on a permanent deal now... Or even better, if only we hadn't signed him in the first place.

It's been obvious pretty much from the start of the season (& maybe earlier) that he and McGowan can't be played together and so I suppose it's best that he be moved on although I wonder if I'm the only one who questions McGowan's effectiveness - I know it's not the complete story but Harkins has scored the same number of goals as McGowan with a lot less game time.

They come and they go - let's hope his replacement gives the team better balance.

Best of luck down south Gary.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I'm surprised he wasn't in the huff earlier than this. He threw the toys out the pram with Shiels at Killie almost immediately after being benched.

He sticks out like a sore thumb in our team as every other player in our squad works their backside off.

Hopefully he joins them permanently and we get someone in who wants to put a shift in.

I'm surprised he wasn't in the huff earlier than this. He threw the toys out the pram with Shiels at Killie almost immediately after being benched.He sticks out like a sore thumb in our team as every other player in our squad works their backside off.Hopefully he joins them permanently and we get someone in who wants to put a shift in.

This ^^ he looked like a good signing but some players just don't seem to fit certain clubs, he seems to regard himself as a bit of a tanner baw player, but we have no room in our midfield for passengers who don't put in a shift.

Good luck to him at Oldham and let's hope we get the right type of replacement aboard.

Everything, and I mean everything, he does is just lazy. Case and point was when he came on towards the end of the Hearts game, one of the Hearts boys played a ball back to the keeper, the ball rolled right passed him (he had only been on about 2 minutes) and he stuck out the laziest leg I've ever seen in an attempt to cut it out.

Unless you play the ball right to him, not a yard either side, where he has to you know, actually move then he simply isn't interested. Compare that to McGowan who plays the position Harkins wants to, he bursts his arse to get on the end of everything, makes runs to get into space and even though it's not his strength he works back....none of which Harkins does. Even if McGowan leaves in the summer I still don't reckon Harkins is the answer.

I don't know that Harkins was the answer in any event. Better to play McLean in there, or even McGinn.

Conceivably, next week, we could lose McGowan (The big hoose), McLean (knee operation) and Newton ( back to Newcastle).

So with Harkins gone and Teale still injured, that leaves us with Goodwin (who will be due another suspension soon), McGinn (carrying an injury) and, well no-one else really, whose main role is to play in midfield.

I suppose Reilly is an option, as are DVZ, Kelly and Grainger.

I know there are a lot of uncertainties regarding our midfield, but it looks to me, that we're really going to have to strengthen this area quite soon.

I really fear for us if we go up against the green bigots, with the midfield we finished with yesterday.

Given that we really need back up for Thommo and a central defender is clearly required, the manager must get it right during this transfer window.

Conceivably, next week, we could lose McGowan (The big hoose), McLean (knee operation) and Newton ( back to Newcastle).

So with Harkins gone and Teale still injured, that leaves us with Goodwin (who will be due another suspension soon), McGinn (carrying an injury) and, well no-one else really, whose main role is to play in midfield.

I suppose Reilly is an option, as are DVZ, Kelly and Grainger.

I know there are a lot of uncertainties regarding our midfield, but it looks to me, that we're really going to have to strengthen this area quite soon.

I really fear for us if we go up against the green bigots, with the midfield we finished with yesterday.

Given that we really need back up for Thommo and a central defender is clearly required, the manager must get it right during this transfer window.

Ironic. It wasn't so long ago that some were complaining about the abundance of midfielders Danny was bringing in or interested in.

Worth noting that at the AGM only three weeks ago, Danny said that Harkins would play up front if Thommo was injured or suspended. What now? Campbell is here but couldn't play that role.

Might give some credence to the Rooney 'swap' deal.

Still not convinced, though.

Disappointed to say the least I really thought he would do a good job for us . He had a bit of technical quality that some of our squad lack but he had nowhere near the work rate of the rest of the lads. What was particularly disappointing was the fact when things weren't going well for him he didn't roll up the sleeves and give a bit extra to try and change his fortunes. To be brutally honest he did not look interested and he is probably delighted he is away doubt we will hear much more about his career just like imrie