Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

For the first time in years we get a real penalty box striker (if the cuttings are to be believed) and you want to play him wide right. Don't quite see where you're coming from?

Campbell is described as a striker/winger who has electric pace. Since Teale is out I would play Campbell there to see how it works out and allow us to use McGowan in the best position he plays ie behind Thommo. That would give us a lot more width across the park in attack with pace to burn. At the moment everything is through the middle with defences not being stretched.

Campbell was ok at Killie but tightly marked by two players. Out right would give him more freedom to see what he can do.

Campbell is described as a striker/winger who has electric pace. Since Teale is out I would play Campbell there to see how it works out and allow us to use McGowan in the best position he plays ie behind Thommo. That would give us a lot more width across the park in attack with pace to burn. At the moment everything is through the middle with defences not being stretched.

Campbell was ok at Killie but tightly marked by two players. Out right would give him more freedom to see what he can do.

No use having pace on the flank if it's at the expense of a supposedly proven goalscorer. Paul doesn't contribute with goals very often.

Gowser has had some good performances in the slightly deeper role and he puts a shift in closing opposition down.

If Campbell was tightly marked by two players surely to God there had to be a gap or opening that St.Mirren should have exploited. Or are players so pre-occupied by mathematical formations that nobody thinks on the hoof? Or do their brains switch off? Does the skipper for the day have the right to tell a player on the day to effectively change position without getting the nod from the bench? Do the players get a bollicking for thinking for themselves?

That's a lot of questions but hell, I don't care.

I'm not really sure why Harkins hasn't so far displayed his undoubted talent on the pitch for us - many reasons have been suggested by our faithful black and white army keyboard warriors all of whom seem to suggest they are in the know or their opinion is the one that matters or represents the views of large sections of the fans.

One thing is clear Harkins will not be thinking of us as he runs out into the pitch at anfield today.

However the fact remains he is still a St Mirren player. I hope he does really well at Oldham - I watch league 1 with Tranmere and the difference in standard between league 1 and SPL is minimal - in truth apart from money with most league one teams paying higher wages than the average SPL team - this can be a excellent opportunity for Harkins to work hard - rediscover his love for the game and then come back up the road and star in a resurgent Saints team next season!

Didn't take long for this to come up, eh? Lennon's a fud for letting him go.

Eh? Lennon was complaining about the lack of experience on our subs bench today, has he not just let Harkins go out on loan? Would you not class him as an experienced player?

Without quoting posts individually, the amount of au fait backing Harkins is receiving is absolutely baffling.

I'd love for someone to talk me through the positives we, as a football club, can take from the signing of Gary Harkins.

I said he would be a terrible signing before, during and after his arrival. I've presented statistical evidence to back up my assertions.

Can those who disagree with me please take the floor. The forum is yours, make a case.

Without quoting posts individually, the amount of au fait backing Harkins is receiving is absolutely baffling.

I'd love for someone to talk me through the positives we, as a football club, can take from the signing of Gary Harkins.

I said he would be a terrible signing before, during and after his arrival. I've presented statistical evidence to back up my assertions.

Can those who disagree with me please take the floor. The forum is yours, make a case.

When he was kept on the bench for 80 minutes against Killie we were in with a shout of a point or three!!!

He's a gd replacement if gowser leaves they can't play in the same team.

When Harkins signed for Dundee last season he Deffo improved them as a team.

He also has the same amount of goals this season as gowser in less games.

He is lazy but he is also a gd player and if gowser leaves we will need a player like him behind thommo.

Need to stop making reference to Gowsers goal tally, how many assists has he had, how often is he the guy getting the ball into feet and then passing it out to the other players. It is proven in this thread that using stats is not the best way to judge footballers.

Spot-on.

The only thing that occasionally frustrates me about McGowan is that he can sometimes slow play down a bit, when the better option would be to make a quick, incisive pass. Aside from that, he is a great footballer, and we're lucky to have him. Goals are a bonus.