Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

Need to stop making reference to Gowsers goal tally, how many assists has he had, how often is he the guy getting the ball into feet and then passing it out to the other players. It is proven in this thread that using stats is not the best way to judge footballers.

Why?

I've seen plenty of games when he's contributed very little apart from endless moaning even in his preferred position - he's been part of teams that've finished 11th, 8th and 11th in the league - if the Harkins affair shows us anything then it's that he can only really play off the front line and as such the number of goals he scores is relevant otherwise a bigger team would surely have been in for him last summer.

A Bottom Six player.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Didn't take long for this to come up, eh? Lennon's a fud for letting him go.

I can understand why he has been allowed to go out on loan - he wasn't in the starting XI much after the first few weeks of the season and he was no doubt on a decent deal by our standards, was probably unhappy being out the starting XI and Oldham will be paying a decent chunk of his wage and he should get regular games and fitness may improve with that. The loan could be a good deal for all 3 parties.

Sunday's game coincided with Teale still being injured, McLean out and Goodwin suspended - 3 of our best midfielders not available. I think that with those 3 not available for the starting XI or bench then we were looking pretty thin for midfield options - Grainger starting in midfield despite being a full back and DVZ or Mair on the bench being touted as possible short term midfield solutions.

Why?

I've seen plenty of games when he's contributed very little apart from endless moaning even in his preferred position - he's been part of teams that've finished 11th, 8th and 11th in the league - if the Harkins affair shows us anything then it's that he can only really play off the front line and as such the number of goals he scores is relevant otherwise a bigger team would surely have been in for him last summer.

A Bottom Six player.

you are missing my point, it is that stats mean nothing. People can compare Teale with Harkins using stats this is tragic. That's my point.

Gowser may well be a bottom 6 player but he's still more important to our team than Harkins, in my opinion.

FYI I've said many a time that Gowser isn't as good as some make out 1 reason is he can't shoot for shit but the nature of this board is your either world class and should be in the Scotland team or your a waster 'working' your ticket out the club. How about a bit of middle ground and just accepting they are saints players and support them!

you are missing my point, it is that stats mean nothing. People can compare Teale with Harkins using stats this is tragic. That's my point.

Gowser may well be a bottom 6 player but he's still more important to our team than Harkins, in my opinion.

FYI I've said many a time that Gowser isn't as good as some make out 1 reason is he can't shoot for shit but the nature of this board is your either world class and should be in the Scotland team or your a waster 'working' your ticket out the club. How about a bit of middle ground and just accepting they are saints players and support them!

I don't feel I'm missing your point - I disagree with it but that's something else.

McGowan is a Bottom Six player, we're a Bottom Six club - he's 26, been here for 4 seasons, he's found his level.

I'm all for accepting our players for what they are - 90+% of them are honest professionals who go out and do their best - we've had a few stars who were above our normal standard but very few that I would class as wasters, just guys being asked to perform above their ability or out of their natural position.

think I remember Dave the jags fan saying (prior to the home game against them) that he played centre back for them and then was moved into midfield, I might be talking nonsense though.

I don't feel I'm missing your point - I disagree with it but that's something else.

McGowan is a Bottom Six player, we're a Bottom Six club - he's 26, been here for 4 seasons, he's found his level.

I'm all for accepting our players for what they are - 90+% of them are honest professionals who go out and do their best - we've had a few stars who were above our normal standard but very few that I would class as wasters, just guys being asked to perform above their ability or out of their natural position.

ok you get my point but disagree.

Mon the buds

I'm fed up watching headless chickens racing to close men down at the instructions of the sidelines leaving spaces in behind for the other team to exploit. Look at Sceptics 2nd and 3rd goal as an example - men committing where they never should. Decision to be made - should I or shouldn't I? In the main I think Harkins did well in that respect. Also which is better - chasing the ball or keeping possession and creating on the very odd occasion you get the ball when it isn't being launched to Thompson? Our total football went out the window after Christmas last year!!

Oldham fans on their site praising his workrate and ability yesterday. Plenty of comments that they've unearthed a good striker who in one person's view, is a 'grafter'.

Further proof that League 1 is a lower (but higher paid) level to ply your trade at than the Scottish Premiership.

Alternatively, it paints a picture of a player who can turn it on when he decides to, but is happy to coast and fanny about when he can't be arsed.