Jack Smith

Edinbuddie

This morning's Sun suggesting that he's on his way out and that Aberdeen may try to get Isma on loan.

ABERDEEN are weighing up a loan move for former St Mirren striker Esmael Goncalves.

The Portuguese ace scored seven goals in 14 starts on loan at Saints last season, including strikes in the League Cup semi and final.

Goncalves returned to Rio Ave, where he is under contract until 2016, last month.

New Pittodrie boss Derek McInnes is anxious to improve his firepower and sources in Portugal say he has enquired about 21-year-old Goncalves, who is valued at £425,000.

Rangers, Nottingham Forest and Swansea have also been linked with Goncalves, who said: “I enjoyed my time at St Mirren and it would be fantastic to go back to Britain and play with a club at a good level.”

Meanwhile, SunSport understands Saints are set to let highly-rated hitkid Jack Smith leave for free after he snubbed an offer to stay at the club. Buddies would not seek compensation for the 18-year-old, son of ex-Airdrie and Dunfermline striker Andy, who rejected the terms they offered him.

This morning's Sun suggesting that he's on his way out and that Aberdeen may try to get Isma on loan.

ABERDEEN are weighing up a loan move for former St Mirren striker Esmael Goncalves.

The Portuguese ace scored seven goals in 14 starts on loan at Saints last season, including strikes in the League Cup semi and final.

Goncalves returned to Rio Ave, where he is under contract until 2016, last month.

New Pittodrie boss Derek McInnes is anxious to improve his firepower and sources in Portugal say he has enquired about 21-year-old Goncalves, who is valued at £425,000.

Rangers, Nottingham Forest and Swansea have also been linked with Goncalves, who said: “I enjoyed my time at St Mirren and it would be fantastic to go back to Britain and play with a club at a good level.”

Meanwhile, SunSport understands Saints are set to let highly-rated hitkid Jack Smith leave for free after he snubbed an offer to stay at the club. Buddies would not seek compensation for the 18-year-old, son of ex-Airdrie and Dunfermline striker Andy, who rejected the terms they offered him.

Offered a 1 year deal at just over £100 a week, can't blame him for turning it down.

Edited by davidg

Is it not a bit of a waste of time to bringing these young guys through and then them buggering off to Dumbarton because we offer absurdly low wages?

Indeed.

David Longwell might as well get himself a bull terrier, a great coat, and a bird called Nancy!

Is it not a bit of a waste of time to bringing these young guys through and then them buggering off to Dumbarton because we offer absurdly low wages?

If Dumbarton are offering over £100 a week to Youth Players, then hell mend them when the shit hits the fan.

Their Crowds should mean Bus Fares only for players.

Smith should have been made a decent offer , the list of players who will come back and bite us on the arse is growing !

That is a decent offer IMO. I'm guessing its loaded with appearance bonus, etc so it's up to the lad to make a go of it this season and prove he deserves to be on more.

If the boy is good and has a fair chance of making a career in football £100 pw. is risible, 18yrs old or not. I hope the story isn't true. Possibly the club's wiew is that he hasn't got what it takes. If they feel he has got it, losing him for even an additional £100 might prove to be very short sighted. Another possibility is that he has been tapped up.

From davidg's info it would seem the offer falls within what is now defined as an apprenticeship. A reasonable offer for a guy with only a couple of cameo sub appearances post-split.

Like shull my first thought when I read about this was Bradley Coyne who seems to have fallen off the radar after going down to the seaside leagues.

Moving further on too the list of players who were going to come back and haunt us (and it must be huge by now) I can't really remember any recently - even Richard Brittain who was suggested in other threads doesn't really fall into this category IMO, after all he spent 4 seasons with Ross County in the SFL before returning for a decent but not spectacular County team. I accept he played a significant role in their success last season but it was really sparked by successful January transfer window.

As for Isma I don't see Aberdeen paying that sort of money for any player these days, let a loan (sic) to sign him on alone deal.

I honestly don't know what a decent offer for a lad like Smith would be.

It seems to me that a consistent and transparent salary structure should be in place so young players have an idea what to expect, and don't get any daft ideas about what they should be getting paid relative to whoever else at the club, or, indeed, elsewhere.

Perhaps this is already in place, I've no idea. I can understand that it would be more difficult to have such a structure in place when it comes to more senior players who use agents, and can enter into negotiations elsewhere and as they please, but with young lads, they ( the players) need to appreciate that the club are investing in their development also (much like an apprenticeship).

I'm not suggesting that kids should play for nothing, but the club can't be expected to spunk money into the wind either, in the event that these kids get a few first team matches after years of development, only to bugger off to the first suitor who sniffs around them. At least, in this instance - if the story is to be believed - the club are waiving any impediment that might be put in Smith's way in terms of compensation etc.

I suppose there is a balance to be struck between wages and length of contract, also.

This is clearly a complex area, but the bottom line is that if the club only think Smith is worth £100 p/w (plus add-ons, presumably), and the lad isn't happy with this, then a parting of the ways is inevitable. Does seem a shame, though, as I always look forward to young players breaking through.

F'ck me,the boys 18 and proved nothing as yet.Take the £100 pw,work hard and show the Club you are worth more.

Youngsters,altho I think his Dad may have a hand in this,expect everything on a plate these days.