Jack Smith

Edinbuddie

I just hope that St.Mirren have got it right and it doesn't become a 'one that got away' story. There should be flexibility where wages are concerned and I'd hate to think the attitude is that no matter how good a prospect is, under no circumstances will he get more than £X per week.

Thomas Reilly is a much better prospect than Smith anyway...

I actually think they work well together and thought they had the makings of a future strike partnership. Great understanding of each others game.

But I would agree, wee Thomas is the better of the two.

I can't see what he's done to deserve the wage hike he's looking for. From the U20s games I've watched this season, he was far from our best player and based on first team appearances, Brady, Yaqub, Reilly and McGinn have looked more likely of 'making it'.

Thankfully, Yaqub and Brady have seen sense and accepted terms that will be improved if they can make an impact in the first team.

I actually think they work well together and thought they had the makings of a future strike partnership. Great understanding of each others game.

But I would agree, wee Thomas is the better of the two.

Indeed. I think either of them could've learned a lot playing beside Thompson but I'd definitely prefer Reilly.

I can't see what he's done to deserve the wage hike he's looking for. From the U20s games I've watched this season, he was far from our best player and based on first team appearances, Brady, Yaqub, Reilly and McGinn have looked more likely of 'making it'.

Thankfully, Yaqub and Brady have seen sense and accepted terms that will be improved if they can make an impact in the first team.

Daddy's decision?

Obviously thinks he can get him a better gig with his contacts.

I just hope that St.Mirren have got it right and it doesn't become a 'one that got away' story. There should be flexibility where wages are concerned and I'd hate to think the attitude is that no matter how good a prospect is, under no circumstances will he get more than £X per week.

Where does this end, though?

Surely there must be a realistic cut-off point when it comes to kids who, though demonstrating some potential, haven't shown that they have what it takes to genuinely break into the first team.

Everyone else (well, not quite everyone) is having to accept that belt-tightening is the order of the day, so surely that must apply to 18-year-old kids who kick a ball about? These lads are learning. Most young folk can't expect to be paid handsomely for this, and many of those in further and higher education have to work weekends and nights, and/or get themselves into debt in order to develop their potential. What marks young footballers out as deserving of special treatment?

Edited by Drew

The club could have invoked the right to compensation- the fact we aren't...

If you look at European sides at 18/19 years of age players should be right on the level of pushing for the first team place. I'd question some of our youth set-up, but that is a question Scotland wide for teams.

If you look at European sides at 18/19 years of age players should be right on the level of pushing for the first team place. I'd question some of our youth set-up, but that is a question Scotland wide for teams.

*hides under the table as StuDick approaches....*

Wonder if we are going to waive any compensation fee in place of a percentage sell-on fee?

Where does this end, though?

Surely there must be a realistic cut-off point when it comes to kids who, though demonstrating some potential, haven't shown that they have what it takes to genuinely break into the first team.

Everyone else (well, not quite everyone) is having to accept that belt-tightening is the order of the day, so surely that must apply to 18-year-old kids who kick a ball about? These lads are learning. Most young folk can't expect to be paid handsomely for this, and many of those in further and higher education have to work weekends and nights, and/or get themselves into debt in order to develop their potential. What marks young footballers out as deserving of special treatment?

There have to be rules, but they can surely be flexible. I'm not saying that Jack Smith is worth another hundred a week (I wouldn't know him if he came up and bit my bum) but £100 won't break the bank so I hope St.Mirren don't lose really good lads by penny pinching. It's an entirely different story when we're talking about a first team player looking for an extra £1K or more per week.

£100 a week doesn't seem alot of money for someone who is seen as a good prospect. £5,200 a year isn't much for an 18 year old to live on so you can see why he'd want to move on.

Perhaps if he was deemed to be a good prospect he would have been offered better terms?

Perhaps if he was deemed to be a good prospect he would have been offered better terms?

Not really seen much of the guy but considering hes been on the bench for the first team quite a few times and even got his debut at the end of the season then surely he is a good prospect? Do all youth players get paid the same?

£100 a week doesn't seem alot of money for someone who is seen as a good prospect. £5,200 a year isn't much for an 18 year old to live on so you can see why he'd want to move on.

I'm getting quoted as saying £100, it was just over £100 per week I said.

To avoid confusion, his offer was £120 p/w.

Edited by davidg

It's more that an apprentice earns from memory, therefore a decent wage for somebody who is essentially serving an apprenticeship.

Its more than an any other 18 year old apprentice would earn a year working a 35 hour week.

A squad of 20 boys in the U20s on £5200 a year amounts to £104,000 per year. Its a lot of money for few players to make it.

There is no reason for Smith to be paid more than the other kids so unless you want to double or triple that annual wage bill for the youth team, then £100 a week is what it will be until they break into the first team.

Guest somner9

I think the real reason he turned down the club's offer was more about us being unable to offer him steady employment in the dome erection business!

I blame dicko for shit stirring, and that wee c**t that went to the papers greetin about how much he was paid to pull a huge sheath over SGG's erection.whistling.gif

Its more than an any other 18 year old apprentice would earn a year working a 35 hour week.

A squad of 20 boys in the U20s on £5200 a year amounts to £104,000 per year. Its a lot of money for few players to make it.

There is no reason for Smith to be paid more than the other kids so unless you want to double or triple that annual wage bill for the youth team, then £100 a week is what it will be until they break into the first team.

St Mirren could easily afford to double that budget, and should!

Twenty young guys with something to prove would be worth a lot more than one or two old journeymen pros in the first team.

Smith was deemed good enough to get a game against Kilmarnock, he should have been pushing for the first team this season. 18 isn't really a kid any more in football either. Hope the boy knows what he is doing anyway!