St Mirren V Newcastle United Friendly 30/7/13

shull

Thought pass marks for most of the boys bar another half arsed performance by thompson.

The Keeper looked good IMO.

Now quietly confident for top 6Posted Image

Totally agree- sad to say it but he doesn't look up for it at all. Maybe saving himself for SPL... And he does need a striking partner urgently... Good to see young players coming on though felt Kelly could have taken at least one of his chances..McGinn was a class act tonight. McAusland was better than I've seen him in a while. Liked Grainger - looks solid and committed. Bring on Saturday- with something else up front.

Good workout and good to see a Premiership team at home.

They played us off the park but my biggest disappointment was they looke miles fitter than us. Maybe we cannot match them for skill but I was hoping we could match them for stamina but it was far from it. Maybe we are saving ourselves for Saturday but our fitness looked pretty poor to me.

Enjoyable evening's fitba. Give me one pre-season fixture like this every season and I'll be happy. Newcastle were better because they have better players. Slick, sharp passing and great movement. We competed well and stuck at it - a gubbing was never on the cards. Guys like Cisse and Coloccini are class.

From a St Mirren POV, we must, no argument, we simply MUST get some support to the Thommohawk. He is fit for his age, but he is fighting a losing battle up there on his lonesome.

Secondly - and this will really get on my tits if it continues during the season - there is absolutely no fcuking point in Jim Goodwin humping 50 yard high balls in the general direction of Thomas Reilly. None whatsoever. Danny Lennon - put an end to this madness right now.

Still, an enjoyable night, good atmosphere, a pleasant change from the usual SP(F)L opposition, and some quality footballers on display in the Newcastle side.

Sitting right at the line, I would have called it as offside. But even if it WAS just onside, then a 2-0 result against a team like Newcastle is nothing to be ashamed off. We survived the entire second half without conceding, I'm actually incredibly impressed with Cornell. Looked really good at cmmanding his post. He looked gash at Morton, looked much better at Stockport and now really looks like he's up for it!

He kept a clean sheet at the weekend and there really wasn't mch he could have done for the first goal (it as a fantastic shot). The second goal everyone assumed was offside. We bit worrying he paused to wait for the flag rather than just defending the shot and looking for the flag after but hey ho, he'll know better next time. Disapointed in Thommo, he really isn't getting anything without the support up front that he needs. We may be able to keep a clean sheet now with a (moderately) better defence than last season, but you don't win games unless you actually score something.

Watching Reilly on the left in the first half reminded me of a young Steven mcgarry! Thought dummett was outstanding tonight, didn't put a foot wrong and just shows you what playing alongside top players does. Didn't look out of place, hope he manages to get into the 1st team squad for the premiership matches this season.