St Mirren V Newcastle United Friendly 30/7/13

shull

It was a decent game tonight, Newcastle were much quicker and stronger than us in every position which made it really difficult for us to get in behind them. Their keeper quite literally had nothing to do! I thought Ben Arfa was quality, Cisses movement was outstanding but I thought McAusland did well against him. John McGinn grew in to the game and was a class act - I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle keep tabs on him. Thompson badly needs support up front. The lack of pace in the team is worrying I'm also concerned that we have no natural width on the left side of midfield. Harkins looks good as did Grainger.

Harkins has some classy touches and looks like he could unlock defences at spl level.

I can see why his nickname is zidane, obviously nowhere near as good but very similar style where he doesn't run around much but then bursts into life.

Our support need to realise that he is not going to be a box to box midfielder and not to get on his back as usual with this type of player.

He may work less than some others in the team but he has the magic touch that most of the others don't have when it comes to opening up teams.

Edited by Big Yards

I admit to not taking much interest in English football (never have, and don't follow the fortunes of any club dahn saaf), but some of these guys ooze class, and it was great to watch. I couldn't have picked any of them out in an ID parade, mind you.

What game were you watching??? 300 might be more apt! Was actually quite ridiculous at one point.

If i was watching the game, i widnae have saw ( copyright Wee Del ) the seagulls.

Check my earlier posts for Birdie updates. punk.gif

I admit to not taking much interest in English football (never have, and don't follow the fortunes of any club dahn saaf), but some of these guys ooze class, and it was great to watch. I couldn't have picked any of them out in an ID parade, mind you.

Aside from Jean-Paul Du'mett and Newtonnnnn! obviously.

It was a decent game tonight, Newcastle were much quicker and stronger than us in every position which made it really difficult for us to get in behind them. Their keeper quite literally had nothing to do! I thought Ben Arfa was quality, Cisses movement was outstanding but I thought McAusland did well against him. John McGinn grew in to the game and was a class act - I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle keep tabs on him. Thompson badly needs support up front. The lack of pace in the team is worrying I'm also concerned that we have no natural width on the left side of midfield. Harkins looks good as did Grainger.

lack of pace is very worrying,in whole team not just going forward ,seem to want to slow everything down to walking pace ,which would be fine if we could keep possession ,but its been 3-4 passes then lump it up front for thommo to do f**k all,danny seems to have given his barca style the boot

sat in west bank tonight for first time...usually i sit in main stand...honestly was the biggest bunch of mutants i have ever seen at any football game..the pish coming out some of the mutants at a friendly was unbelievable..who is the clown in w1 sits near the back with black hat at end of row? he must be chief mutant.......

sat in west bank tonight for first time...usually i sit in main stand...honestly was the biggest bunch of mutants i have ever seen at any football game..the pish coming out some of the mutants at a friendly was unbelievable..who is the clown in w1 sits near the back with black hat at end of row? he must be chief mutant.......

It was Nacho Novo.

We had a couple of "ladies" in the comfy seats in the main stand swearing and spouting infantile remarks.

It took another lady to ask them to tone down their language as there were kids around.

Whit is it with women and drink these days?

Someone mentioned the apparent gulf in fitness levels between the two teams tonight. I can see some strength in that argument, but the Newcastle players have a level of touch and vision that allows them to conserve their energy, while Saints were chasing shadows much of the time. Every time a NUFC player received the ball, he had an option (often more than one), and this takes pressure off. Their one touch play was 1st class, likewise their movement off the ball. When players have that level of abililty and understanding, they don't have to chase the ball in packs like a Primary 7 play-time team.

All that said, the Utd players closed us down when required, and showed a great deal of commitment (albeit they rarely moved beyond 3rd gear).

We had a couple of "ladies" in the comfy seats in the main stand swearing and spouting infantile remarks.

It took another lady to ask them to tone down their language as there were kids around.

Whit is it with women and drink these days?

it beats trying to speak senegalesse to cisse at half time ,think you might be reprimanded for sexual harassment next time you enter africa

Someone mentioned the apparent gulf in fitness levels between the two teams tonight. I can see some strength in that argument, but the Newcastle players have a level of touch and vision that allows them to conserve their energy, while Saints were chasing shadows much of the time. Every time a NUFC player received the ball, he had an option (often more than one), and this takes pressure off. Their one touch play was 1st class, likewise their movement off the ball. When players have that level of abililty and understanding, they don't have to chase the ball in packs like a Primary 7 play-time team.

All that said, the Utd players closed us down when required, and showed a great deal of commitment (albeit they rarely moved beyond 3rd gear).

this was dannys vision once ,,,what happened ?

this was dannys vision once ,,,what happened ?

What happened?

We remained a provincial club from Paisley (in the shadow of the foul two headed beast of sectarianism), with a core support of about 2,800 - 3,000, and a budget that would barely cover a Newcastle reserve player's wages.

Edited by Drew

What happened?

We remained a provincial club from Paisley (in the shadow of the foul twin beats of sectarianism), with a core support of about 2,800 - 3,000, and a budget that would barely cover a Newcastle reserve player's wages.

so that stops you playing a passing game that he promised ?was the same team from the same town when he took over im sure ,unless st Mirren has been removed from paisley ,I remember when danny didn't give a toss about the score when we lost as he always went on about the amount of possession we had,that seems to not bother him now