St Mirren V Newcastle United Friendly 30/7/13

shull

well what was it as I heard him saying fanny ,maybe ha has seen the irn-bru advert ?

As Papiss Cisse is a Muslim and this is Ramadan, I was giving him the traditional greeting at this time of "Ramadan Mubarak".

He will believe, as we all do, that Scotland is God's country.

so that stops you playing a passing game that he promised ?was the same team from the same town when he took over im sure ,unless st Mirren has been removed from paisley ,I remember when danny didn't give a toss about the score when we lost as he always went on about the amount of possession we had,that seems to not bother him now

I'm not following.

I was highlighting something that sets the teams apart and transcends mere fitness levels, in my view. That gulf cannot realistically be bridged when you have two clubs operating in what are effectively different dimensions.

Hard to judge the performance of the Saints players really. I'd say our best players were Reilly and McGinn, but we were on the back foot for much of it.

As i've already said i'd rather we played McGowan as our AMC and stuck Harkins somewhere else. The reason for this is simple, i believe McGowan is a far better player than Harkins. Whether Harkins goes wide left or on the bench, doesn't matter, just don't move Gowser to accommodate him. McGowan is not a defensive midfielder, he never has been and he never will be. His best position is in the hole behind Thompson, the position which Harkins occupied to no affect tonight.

I will say i don't think Cornell did anything wrong. Had a good game? Don't know if i'd go that far, but he certainly didn't do anything wrong.

Are you sure you were at the game? Secondly, we were playing an EPL team with at least half or more of their team first team players.

Your judgement on individuals performances is dreadful. Thank christ your opinion means nothing.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Black & White Army mobile app

Bored to death by the entire thing to be honest,some of the newcastle boys were fantastic but just thinking about St Mirren,as a team,in transition or the dreaded "work in progress" depresses me beyond belief.No ideas,unfit,one dimensional due to lack of striking options ,cant finish this,fed up

Are you sure you were at the game? Secondly, we were playing an EPL team with at least half or more of their team first team players.

Your judgement on individuals performances is dreadful. Thank christ your opinion means nothing.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Black & White Army mobile app

To whom do you spout Kevo ? lol.gif

Someone mentioned the apparent gulf in fitness levels between the two teams tonight. I can see some strength in that argument, but the Newcastle players have a level of touch and vision that allows them to conserve their energy, while Saints were chasing shadows much of the time. Every time a NUFC player received the ball, he had an option (often more than one), and this takes pressure off. Their one touch play was 1st class, likewise their movement off the ball. When players have that level of abililty and understanding, they don't have to chase the ball in packs like a Primary 7 play-time team.

All that said, the Utd players closed us down when required, and showed a great deal of commitment (albeit they rarely moved beyond 3rd gear).

I agree their ability is streets ahead of ours Drew. However when they had the ball the Newcastle players were all running around giving options for the player with the ball. When they moved forward they moved as a team with loads in support. They passed quickly and forward. We on the other hand stood still shouting for the ball and not making space or runs or we did not chase back and mark properly. We looked static and unfit compared to them (IMHO). We were ok for the first 20 minutes but after that I thought some of our players looked very slow compared to Newcastle. I did enjoy the show tonight and expected a football lesson but was just a bit disappointed in the rift between the teams in terms of movement and running. Maybe its not fitness but tactics.

I don't know why there's so much knicker wetting. Sure St Mirren are rubbish but surely they've still got enough in reserve to hold off a Hearts side starting the season on -15 points. Why not give McGinn, O'Reilly and Brady a chance and some match experience? Normally in these situations I'd pity the season ticket holder who'd been duped into buying a ticket on the basis that their club would be trying but in this case no-one at St Mirren promised exciting signings, or anything other than that this season there would be more matches for the kids. Fans have a product that was as advertised - if they were stupid enough to see the majority of the squad leaving and assumed it's meant a load of new signings, more fool them.

I was at the match tonight and I thought it was pish. Van Zanten and McAusland were positionally poor as ever, and what was the script with the second goal. Goodwin just appeared to let the Newcastle lad through on goal and Grainger appeared to have been missing in action. I thought Grainger looked extremely unfit. I don't think anyone in midfield stood out at all. Teales touch was piss poor for the whole of the first half, I didn't notice McGinn was on the park till the 30th minute, McGowan was ineffective, Harkins looked shit and Reilly grafted without any real success and up front Thompson on his own really didn't work. The lad Brady looked the best of the subs but it was pish poor fayre from St Mirren.

Last thing, St Mirren were woefully one paced. There's no outlet like there was in previous seasons with Hassailbaink and with Isma.

On the plus side I though the keeper did better than most had expected. A bit wary at a couple of the crosses but his shot stopping looked fine and his distribution was ok.

Newcastle different class to us and glad they eased off on us as they could have really gone to town on us. For me only positive was getting to watch Newcastle play. We are shocking and cannot see us picking up many points this season with this squad. Not much movement too slow and too predictable.Hope Thommo is preserving his energy for the season ahead.Danny has to so and go quick as i do not have a clue what's happened to us and worrying thing is i don't think he knows either.Worst Saints squad i have seen in a long time only hope we can do some business before the window shuts.

Lovestreet disgraced himself in hospitality again!nologo.gif Got steaming and had a fight with Cheesey's dad.argue.gif spent the entire second half throwing up in the toilets.Flush.gif

Dannyzo still raging with you after last night Lovestreet. Suggest you skip the lunch time meeting, I'll cover for you and send a PM with the latest. Funniest moment last night was when Gilzo asked "Who is that wee prick" Quick as a flash Danyzo says "That's wee Novovzo's agento" GIlzo goes, "he can get tae F*CK the wee ned basitrud!

so that stops you playing a passing game that he promised ?was the same team from the same town when he took over im sure ,unless st Mirren has been removed from paisley ,I remember when danny didn't give a toss about the score when we lost as he always went on about the amount of possession we had,that seems to not bother him now

We did play a passing game. Newcastle just played a better passing game.

Positives: McGinn was decent, after a very slow start. Perhaps intimidated initially, but grew into the game.

Thought Grainger did ok considering he was marking a good French international. He was lucky ben Arfa was looking a stone overweight, mind.

Reilly lifting the ball over Debuchy was a lovely moment, shame he did nothing with it. Reilly generally looked ok, and nice to hear him bollocking a young player when he didn't get the cut back later on.

Gowser was Gowser... scurrying, busy... not his best game and, as with a lot of players, gave it away a lot. However, a player like him can create, but needs options in front of him.

The negatives: Thommo was phoning it in tonight. Gave the ball away a lot, it simply wasn't sticking up front. Again, collocini plays for Argentina, so the standard of opposition was high, but there's no excuse for basic passes going astray.

I'm no captain/silent majority/isabella Duke, but the playing from the keeper is nice sometimes, and in terms of making pardew think "I'll send some players here" is a good thing. However, even Edwin van der Sar used to just blooter it from time to time...

everybody cuts through us like a knife through butter ,our spine is absolute garbage ,anything through the middle causes us major headaches ,Goodwin and cheesey not an answer im afraid

From where I was sitting, McAusland looked commanding, controlled and calm in defending and his distribution was very good. On this showing against players of the calibre of United this makes a mockery of the people who decry the lad. He has improved tenfold since his c0kup v Rangers.

To the rest.

Cisse showed why Newcastle persevered with him. A class act.

Newcastle's shirt sponsor was pretty apt last night as, at times, they "took a len o' us"!

McGowan was better than v Morton but still gave the ball away too much.

Harkins looked good and tracked back well.

What the F has happened to Thommo? Has he had a falling out or something? Hate to say but a waste of a jersey.

None of the young lads looked out of place on this stage so that's good.

Cornell was 100 times better than the last time I saw him so he did....ok.

After the substitutions we actually had a couple of really good build up resulting in a couple of chances.

I suspect Danny doesn't think Yaqub is ready for the step as he was one of the few who didn't see the grass beneath his feet. Personally,l If this is the case, then I disagree.

Edited by stlucifer

I thought we were OK. We passed the ball about well enough at times and we tried to close Newcastle down. We were a bit toothless upfront, Thommo not looking the same guy, but we created some chances when he went off and Newcastle pulled off the big guns.

Newcastle are just much better us, you can see the gulf. Mind you we couldn't afford the big toe of Cisse, Tiote and some of the other internationalists.

Watching Reilly on the left in the first half reminded me of a young Steven mcgarry! Thought dummett was outstanding tonight, didn't put a foot wrong and just shows you what playing alongside top players does. Didn't look out of place, hope he manages to get into the 1st team squad for the premiership matches this season.

Did he? I thought young Reilly placed fairly well IMO.

Dannyzo still raging with you after last night Lovestreet. Suggest you skip the lunch time meeting, I'll cover for you and send a PM with the latest. Funniest moment last night was when Gilzo asked "Who is that wee prick" Quick as a flash Danyzo says "That's wee Novovzo's agento" GIlzo goes, "he can get tae F*CK the wee ned basitrud!

Funniest thing last night was when a guy was buying a program off the fat bird with the big boobs during the game, someone shouted "thats the second program you have bought tonight ya **** "

As Papiss Cisse is a Muslim and this is Ramadan, I was giving him the traditional greeting at this time of "Ramadan Mubarak".

He will believe, as we all do, that Scotland is God's country.

I'm surprised that if you shouted 'Ramadan Murbarak!' Danny didn't shout back 'No, it's Adam Campbell we want'.