Wimbledon 2013

faraway saint

Robson wins first set 6-4, TBH she was pish.

I've often wondered why womans tennis seems to be infinitely more popular than any other womans sport. You never see blanket coverage of womans golf or football for instance, for tennis though, it's a big deal.

Without wanting to sound like a sexist pig, it's absolutely brutal to watch. Outside Serena the standard is terrible, she barely has to break sweat to win a major these days.

I've often wondered why womans tennis seems to be infinitely more popular than any other womans sport. You never see blanket coverage of womans golf or football for instance, for tennis though, it's a big deal.

Without wanting to sound like a sexist pig, it's absolutely brutal to watch. Outside Serena the standard is terrible, she barely has to break sweat to win a major these days.

A generalisation that's not strictly true.

Some years ago, you might well have had a point but IF you watch a lot of women's tennis these days there are a lot of good players. Sure Serena at the top right now but her major asset is her strength, although not her only strength.

There are many women who can hit the ball pretty damn hard and have considerable skills. The majority of women's games are more than decent.

A generalisation that's not strictly true.

Some years ago, you might well have had a point but IF you watch a lot of women's tennis these days there are a lot of good players. Sure Serena at the top right now but her major asset is her strength, although not her only strength.

There are many women who can hit the ball pretty damn hard and have considerable skills. The majority of women's games are more than decent.

I think you get a higher standard in the junior mens draw than you do in the senior womans. Just watched that Robson game, the serving was hopeless, double faults everywhere.

Serenas bigger and stronger than the rest and hardly loses a set these days. Her 'competitors' of Azarenka, Sharapova and Wozniacki are hopelessly inconsistent, they're all out of this years competition already for example.

I think you get a higher standard in the junior mens draw than you do in the senior womans. Just watched that Robson game, the serving was hopeless, double faults everywhere.

Serenas bigger and stronger than the rest and hardly loses a set these days. Her 'competitors' of Azarenka, Sharapova and Wozniacki are hopelessly inconsistent, they're all out of this years competition already for example.

How are you qualifying "standard"?

You clearly don't watch much tennis, let alone woman's tennis.

If you watch the current match between Hass and Wang, the Chinese guy is "honking", there is rarely anyone out of the top 4 in men's tennis that wins anything worth winning.

This is a never ending debate, I watch a considerable amount of tennis and my view is women's tennis is a more than decent standard, a long way from years ago when it was tippy tappy stuff.

How are you qualifying "standard"? You clearly don't watch much tennis, let alone woman's tennis. If you watch the current match between Hass and Wang, the Chinese guy is "honking", there is rarely anyone out of the top 4 in men's tennis that wins anything worth winning. This is a never ending debate, I watch a considerable amount of tennis and my view is women's tennis is a more than decent standard, a long way from years ago when it was tippy tappy stuff.

You need to get out more, you sound like a Grandad

Hass whips the ass of some Chinese guy. 3-0.

Standard was terrible, women's tennis is much better. whistling.gif

I'm with you on this one, Faraway. I'd far rather watch the best women tennis players in the world than the junior men. You just have to live with the fact that women play differently but it is still top class stuff. Unfortunately there are times like now where a big, powerful woman cleans up and Serena can make so many good players look ordinary.

Martina ruled the roost in the 80's but it certainly wasn't all strength with her. And talking about Martina, I saw an interview with McEnroe at that time and he was asked how he thought Martina would do against men. McEnroe reckoned she would be lucky to get into the top thousand in the mens' game and nobody disagreed with that. I'd like to see Serena challenged but she is nearer the end of her career than the beginning. Things will change. I'd like them to shut up some of the women screamers. There's a time and place for grunting, screaming women but not on a tennis court.

How are you qualifying "standard"?

You clearly don't watch much tennis, let alone woman's tennis.

If you watch the current match between Hass and Wang, the Chinese guy is "honking", there is rarely anyone out of the top 4 in men's tennis that wins anything worth winning.

This is a never ending debate, I watch a considerable amount of tennis and my view is women's tennis is a more than decent standard, a long way from years ago when it was tippy tappy stuff.

Standard as in the quality of play. How else do you qualify it? In my opinion the average male junior would beat the average female senior. I just watched the Jancowicz-Almagro and the Ferrer-Agut match, neither of them are in the traditional top 4 yet both were fantastic matches.

I think womans tennis has got worse in recent years. Its peak was the Graff years, with Seles, Navratilova and Sanchez-Vicario etc. Outside the Williams sisters there's no current females anywhere near their standard.

Standard as in the quality of play. How else do you qualify it? In my opinion the average male junior would beat the average female senior. I just watched the Jancowicz-Almagro and the Ferrer-Agut match, neither of them are in the traditional top 4 yet both were fantastic matches.

I think womans tennis has got worse in recent years. Its peak was the Graff years, with Seles, Navratilova and Sanchez-Vicario etc. Outside the Williams sisters there's no current females anywhere near their standard.

That's your opinion ya nutter. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

As for males beating females, non argument, Billie Jean King seen to that many years ago.

Run along, I've got tennis to watch. 1eye.gif

That's your opinion ya nutter. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

As for males beating females, non argument, Billie Jean King seen to that many years ago.

Run along, I've got tennis to watch. 1eye.gif

When she beat a 55 year old man? lol.gif

i'm not so much slating the womans game in general, more the current womans game. 20 years ago there was some fantastic womans matches, today there isn't. It's show up and if Serenas in the mood, watch her steamroller everything in her path.

Boring.

When she beat a 55 year old man? lol.gif

i'm not so much slating the womans game in general, more the current womans game. 20 years ago there was some fantastic womans matches, today there isn't. It's show up and if Serenas in the mood, watch her steamroller everything in her path.

Boring.

Oh dear..................post-2846-0-29718300-1372438570_thumb.jp