My Gig Of The Year

beyond our ken

No point going to Neil Young unless you are ready for anything. He doesnt pander but he doesnt short-change either.This stuff about him entertaining himself and stuff the audience is a bit off-track. They have paid for him to take them somewhere and he obliges, no point complaining if he goes somewhere other than what they hoped for

I heard Van Morrison spends most gigs thoroughly pished. He has produced one of rock's greatest ironies though, his anal sex song is constantly used to create a happy, fun vibe in family restaurants and theme parks all over the USA

Fair enough, but if we had a poll - Rockin' in the Free World, Like a Hurricane, or 10 minutes of wankery....?

I've probably mentioned this before, but I've got an old CD single by Ian McNabb (Icicle Works) and Crazy Horse - 'You Must Be Prepared to Dream'. The long version is the best song Neil Young and Crazy Horse never recorded themselves! Not sure if it's on Spotify or suchlike, but anyone who likes Neil Young should download the long version from iTunes. Will likely be 59p or something. Worth every penny.

Fair enough, but if we had a poll - Rockin' in the Free World, Like a Hurricane, or 10 minutes of wankery....?

To each there own Poz. Neil & Crazy Horse played a great version of f**kin Up with a Native American background rhythm and a chanting that wont ever be found on any CD - a unique experience which is what, IMHO, makes the gigs so memorable.

And 10 mins of feedback after Walk Like a Giant is something that you only get at live gigs and not on CDS and for that it gets my vote :) . The guy was clearly having a great time and that conveyed itself to the audience who were encouraging him to do his thing. Everybody wins :)

To each there own Poz. Neil & Crazy Horse played a great version of f**kin Up with a Native American background rhythm and a chanting that wont ever be found on any CD - a unique experience which is what, IMHO, makes the gigs so memorable.

And 10 mins of feedback after Walk Like a Giant is something that you only get at live gigs and not on CDS and for that it gets my vote :) . The guy was clearly having a great time and that conveyed itself to the audience who were encouraging him to do his thing. Everybody wins :)

Good stuff mate. I'm a Neil Young fan as I say. My next gig is Deep Purple. If they do a 45 minute version of 'Space Truckin' - I'm away to the bar!

If you'd asked this last Friday I'd have said another song. Having thought about it since then, that "wankery" made the gig for me. Disagree it was "wankery" mind, the song's about the mess we're making in the world and (imo) the noise at the end was a representation of where Neil thinks we'll end up if we don't do something about it.

It made the gig for me because that's Neil Young in a nutshell, doing what he thinks is the right thing to do and not chasing the popularity the easy way. Did I enjoy the noise musically? Nope, it was shite to listen to. Did I get in the end? Oh yes. Eventually. Do I wish he'd done another song instead. Nope, it summed the man up and the gig would have been much less enjoyable in retrospect if he had.

I said somewhere else that this is one tick done on the bucket list (and it is) but my hope now is that he comes back on his own and, as a bonus tick on the list, I get to see him do an accoustic set. Here's hoping!

If you'd asked this last Friday I'd have said another song. Having thought about it since then, that "wankery" made the gig for me. Disagree it was "wankery" mind, the song's about the mess we're making in the world and (imo) the noise at the end was a representation of where Neil thinks we'll end up if we don't do something about it.

It made the gig for me because that's Neil Young in a nutshell, doing what he thinks is the right thing to do and not chasing the popularity the easy way. Did I enjoy the noise musically? Nope, it was shite to listen to. Did I get in the end? Oh yes. Eventually. Do I wish he'd done another song instead. Nope, it summed the man up and the gig would have been much less enjoyable in retrospect if he had.

I said somewhere else that this is one tick done on the bucket list (and it is) but my hope now is that he comes back on his own and, as a bonus tick on the list, I get to see him do an accoustic set. Here's hoping!

Thought Springsteen was absolutely amazing last night and probably one of my "all time favourite gigs".

Big up for the guy that caught "Lumpy Hazel" as she tumbled off the stage trying to help her pal up for a cuddle with The Boss!!

Guest somner9

No point going to Neil Young unless you are ready for anything. He doesnt pander but he doesnt short-change either.This stuff about him entertaining himself and stuff the audience is a bit off-track. They have paid for him to take them somewhere and he obliges, no point complaining if he goes somewhere other than what they hoped for

I heard Van Morrison spends most gigs thoroughly pished. He has produced one of rock's greatest ironies though, his anal sex song is constantly used to create a happy, fun vibe in family restaurants, Granada/BBC studios and theme parks all over the USA

Fixed thumbup2.gif

August 12th - GLASGOW - ABC for the B52's seen them a few times live always great.

If they don't play 'Love Shack' and replace it with ten minutes of feedback.... ask for your money back. DEMAND a greatest hit, singular, set from the B52s.

I'm in trouble now for my cheek.... and for ignoring 'Rock Lobster'. bye1.gif1eye.gif

Edited by pozbaird

Ah yes, the subjectivity of the football art literature film comedy music fan.

It is truly what makes the world go round.

Embrace (whatever happened to them anyway...?).

Would you like to know how Elvis Costello introduced 'Tramp the Dirt Down' this time?

....He said that his father had passed away eighteen months ago, and was suffering from dementia. He said it was awful to witness, especially at the bitter end, when his dad took a sip of Bushmills and said he couldn't even taste it any more. He then said that he wouldn't wish dementia upon his worst enemy, and that Thatcher died suffering from the same awful condition as his father. He said that she certainly ticked the box of 'worst enemy' but no-one should suffer that. He then dedicated the song to his father.

He did it brilliantly IMHO. The guy is a class act.

Edited by pozbaird

I wouldn't have minded seeing the Boss last night but I already had tickets to see Ron Sexsmith at the ABC, except they shifted it to the more intimate Oran Mor. Probably due to poor sales with Bruce in town.

Anyway, an excellent gig.

I want to get angry with Poz and rant about the need for boundaries to be pushed, horizons to be widened and artists to be respected...but I can't. I loved the show Bruce put on, but Neil was on another level, which struck a phenomenal chord with me (no pun intended (oh yes there was)).

Maybe I'm a pretentious twit (spelt with an 'a'), but when 'Perfect Day' is used to raise money for charidee and 'Wild Horses' sells to millions of taste-free telly addicts...when Rolf Harris covers Led Zeppelin ffs...I thank the self-indulgent risk-takers and mould-breakers who will hold a chord on stage for 10 minutes. Yup, I think it borders on art. There - I've said it.

I'd have loved to have seen The Undertones or The Ramones for their sheer energy, but I want the full spectrum of musical endeavour. Except Country and Western, of course. That's just wrong.

And avant-guarde jazz. Wrong.

I want to get angry with Poz and rant about the need for boundaries to be pushed, horizons to be widened and artists to be respected...but I can't. I loved the show Bruce put on, but Neil was on another level, which struck a phenomenal chord with me (no pun intended (oh yes there was)).

Maybe I'm a pretentious twit (spelt with an 'a'), but when 'Perfect Day' is used to raise money for charidee and 'Wild Horses' sells to millions of taste-free telly addicts...when Rolf Harris covers Led Zeppelin ffs...I thank the self-indulgent risk-takers and mould-breakers who will hold a chord on stage for 10 minutes. Yup, I think it borders on art. There - I've said it.

I'd have loved to have seen The Undertones or The Ramones for their sheer energy, but I want the full spectrum of musical endeavour. Except Country and Western, of course. That's just wrong.

And avant-guarde jazz. Wrong.

Can't argue with most of that but sometimes "art" can become confused with "self-indulgent horseshit"!!!

Agreed, but not on this occasion (imo, anyway). Although I may not have thought that at the time.

:)

Then again, there haven't been any gigs I've been at which made me ponder them afterward as much as that one did which is probably his intention.

Guest TPAFKATS

Springsteen was AMAZING, even better than The Eels the night after our league cup win

Tremendous vocals, musicianship, rapport, emotion and atmosphere.

Interesting point - when does 'thought provoking individuality' turn into 'self indulgent wankery'.

Three areas do it for me. One is an artist turning album track versions into 30 minute extended wankfests. Two is an artist stubbornly refusing to play any of their biggest and best known songs. Three is a chap called Bono, and his Burmese political prisoner pish.

Subjective matter naturally.

Opposite end of the spectrum - worst gigs.

Bad Company - Apollo. Weedy sound, band couldn't give a fcuk.

Alice in Chains - Barrowlands. Stood like statues, looked like they'd rather be anywhere else but on that stage.

Living Colour - Barrowlands. Shortest set ever - walked off in an Alice in Chains 'couldn't give a fcuk' style.

Not bad - only three howlers since 1974. Pretty good going I'd say.