Buddie Who Best Knows American Birds

bluto

Of course, this is a thread about Ornithology.

What else could it be? :unsure:

Alexander Wilson, who stood (still does!) on the grass just outside the Town Hall in 1987 and cheered the heroes who won the cup.... Was a weaver, polemicist and Saints supporter who emigrated to a safer climate... then embarked on a massive project to sketch, draw, paint ALL the birds of North America.

Luckily he was a talented artist, too. :)

His paintings are astonishingly good. Good guy.

Audubon, who established the US equivalent of our RSPB, leaned heavily on Wilson's achievements.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22951206

What else could it be? unsure.png

Alexander Wilson, who stood (still does!) on the grass just outside the Town Hall in 1987 and cheered the heroes who won the cup.... Was a weaver, polemicist and Saints supporter who emigrated to a safer climate... then embarked on a massive project to sketch, draw, paint ALL the birds of North America.

Luckily he was a talented artist, too. smile.png

Audubon, who established the US equivalent of our RSPB, leaned heavily on Wilson's achievements.

not like you to big up a grammarian

• 7 years later...

Thanks to bluto for creating this interesting thread.   :)

Just spotted (as bird watchers do) that a really interesting bird seems to now be resident at Lochwinnoch.

https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/18868024.rare-ducks-arrival-lochwinnoch-bird-enthusiasts-real-flap/

I'd hate for anyBuddie local to miss it!   Looks a bit like a male Mandarin, of which there are many in Epping Forest - also escapees from a "collection".

A nice bit of exercise in fresh air - and I believe the Big Pub at the rhs top of the hill towards Beith/Paisley is doing lovely lunches!  :) 

No beer etc...  :(

6 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Whatever happened to that poster Bluto? 😎 He was such an interesting chap unlike that arrogant buffoon Bill Lees. 

I always liked Bill.  One of the highlights of the Original Guestbook.  :)

Met him in reality at the first Blackpool match, then a couple of other times in Paisley.  Was sad when he was kinda forced to vanish from here.

Always assumed he'd be back in another guise, but huvnae figured oot who...?  :unsure:

On 6/19/2013 at 9:47 AM, bluto said:

What else could it be? :unsure:

Luckily he was a talented artist, too. :)

Paisley Museum owns a copy of Audubon's book.

https://paisley.is/discover/hidden-treasures-in-the-museum/

One was sold in 2010 for $11.5m dollars. Enough for an excellent centre forward.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2010-12-07/aristocrats-seeking-cash-boost-119-million-old-master-auctions-in-london#:~:text=A copy of John James Audubon’s early-19th-century illustrated,(%2411.5 million)%2C a record for any printed work.

Just remembered that it was Bill “Minger”Lees who threatened to hang Dickson!

I wonder which forum that tosser is polluting now? Hopefully Sunderlands!
I was thinking about Stu the other night watching RoI game. Remember his white knighting of Steven Kenny for every big job going, bizarre chap.

3 hours ago, Yflab said:

Could you imagine what Dickson would have been like with the dancing NHS staff at the outset of this pandemic?

It was never a dull forum with him in full flow. I used to think Div paid him to post just to boost traffic to the website.

Pretty sure he was on here at the start of the lockdown but good sin binned then expelled 

Pretty sure he was on here at the start of the lockdown but good sin binned then expelled 

He was banned (again) when, amongst other things, he threatened to (and maybe actually did) complain to the web hosting company re him being banned all the time but not others who were calling him a silly name. At least two of those other folk were also banned and had all their posts deleted. Think Div just couldn't be arsed with the hassle.

He was banned (again) when, amongst other things, he threatened to (and maybe actually did) complain to the web hosting company re him being banned all the time but not others who were calling him a silly name. At least two of those other folk were also banned and had all their posts deleted. Think Div just couldn't be arsed with the hassle. 

As I'm new on here, Dickson sounds like a real Dicko and the sort of person who'd post about having so many imaginary friends.

Was he the one that got laughed out of Love Street with regards all his money making ideas.

31 minutes ago, Slarti said:

For a newbie you are really “in the know” - I’m impressed.

Anyhoo!

Spooky that this was bumped as today i did a wee "5 things you didn't know about Paisley" for the company mag and Wilson was No1

I first heard of him when an episode of Disney's wonderful world of colour was dedicated to him.  it was shown on a projector in my primary and eventually made it to onto the beeb showing of these old programmes in the 70s