National Road Race Championships - Sunday 23Rd June, Glasgow

Drew

As a spectator event it is the weirdest sport on the planet.

I remember when the Tour De France first allowed a race on English soil, it came through Basingstoke.

In excitement we came out of work and stood beside the thousands of others on the roadside waiting for the historic moment.

After about 2 hours the cyclists came screaming past us at about 50 mph.

Within 20 seconds the entire field had past us and as a spectacle it was all over.

The last time I had got worked up for hours just for the event to be over in 20 seconds I was 17 and the lady in question was a bronzed beauty called Hazel.

It's not a sport is it? I thought its guys out playing.

It is a sport but it's not much of a spectator sport.

A bit like Formula 1. Why people get excited about people driving fast cars in a circle for 3 hours is beyond me.

Snooker and darts aren't sports though.

A sport really?

I requires no skill whatsoever,kids of two can do it.its got to be once of the most ridiculous looking games for an adult to do. Bikes are made for kids to play on, it's easy. I haven't been on a bike since I was 13 but I could jump on one now and cycle it no problem it requires no skill.

A sport really?

I requires no skill whatsoever,kids of two can do it.its got to be once of the most ridiculous looking games for an adult to do. Bikes are made for kids to play on, it's easy. I haven't been on a bike since I was 13 but I could jump on one now and cycle it no problem it requires no skill.

Fair point although I think you are overlooking the fact that injecting yourself with steroids does require a steady hand and an ability to remain deadpan when telling people you are not taking performance enhancing drugs..

I think those count as skills.

Fair point although I think you are overlooking the fact that injecting yourself with steroids does require a steady hand and an ability to remain deadpan when telling people you are not taking performance enhancing drugs..

I think those count as skills.[/quote

I'll give you that, must be something to do with adults on kids toys,most adults I see on bikes take drugs.]

I don't have a problem with professionals wearing lycra and riding bikes as such.

What undoubtedly IS pathetic is the sight of ordinary blokes (and it's usually blokes) with all the gear and no idea desperately trying to give the impression that they are the next Bradley Wiggins. It's right up there with the bike bores who've taken the simple art of riding on two wheels and converted it into a multi-billion pound industry by introducing ludicrous product complexity and marketing.

This happened with football boots. Used to be you'd go down the shops and select a ball or some boots and shin pads.

Now you have hundreds of makes, colours and "scientifically engineered" products.

A scientifically engineered hypoallergenic, gluten-free, organic, polymethylemptyyerwalletacrylate, shinplint avoiding, anti-shatter, bulletproof football boot?

That'll be £200 please sir? For a 10 year old with two left feet?? f**k that!

I love my kids but I'm not a f**king marketing person's wet dream clueless twat.

Utterly unbelievable that so many people fall for this sort of scam yet again.

Edited by oaksoft

I don't have a problem with professionals wearing lycra and riding bikes as such.

What undoubtedly IS pathetic is the sight of ordinary blokes (and it's usually blokes) with all the gear and no idea desperately trying to give the impression that they are the next Bradley Wiggins. It's right up there with the bike bores who've taken the simple art of riding on two wheels and converted it into a multi-billion pound industry by introducing ludicrous product complexity and marketing.

This happened with football boots. Used to be you'd go down the shops and select a ball or some boots and shin pads.

Now you have hundreds of makes, colours and "scientifically engineered" products.

A scientifically engineered hypoallergenic, gluten-free, organic, polymethylemptyyerwalletacrylate, shinplint avoiding, anti-shatter, bulletproof football boot?

That'll be £200 please sir? For a 10 year old with two left feet?? f**k that!

I love my kids but I'm not a f**king marketing person's wet dream clueless twat.

Utterly unbelievable that so many people fall for this sort of scam yet again.

Cyclists are hilarious granted