Greggs Bakeover Takeover

Greggs have been in talks with the SPL to strike a deal to sell hot snacks at games.

They have also contacted individual Clubs.

Good idea ?

Ironic thing is, i like Greggs but i loved the food at St Mirren Park last Season, as did Abby.

WID MY GREGGS LOYALTY CARD BE VALID ?

I like Greggs however there are many small bakeries who supply to their local clubs and this deal may very well put them out of business. Difficult choice but I think I would reject the bid.

Using small local suppliers and companies can pose problems too. A guy I know took over the food franchise for a successful golf club locally but the committe still kept a tight rein on him. At the beginning he was told he had to keep getting all his eggs from a local farmer who was a club member but my mate discovered the farmer charged him more for a box of six eggs than he would have to pay a wholesaler for a tray of thirty eggs. That 'poor' farmer used to roll up to the clubhouse in his Merc. Don't know about in Scotland but over here a lot of clubs are having it a lot tougher nowadays. Waiting lists are almost non-existent and deals can be struck. My pal got his way with his eggs problem because it was and still is a reasonably successful club with a lot of society outings with the compulsory golfers' fry. He used a lot of eggs. Local isn't always best or even economical.

Oh my God, I don't think I could survive seeing Neil Doncaster appear on the telly saying 'This new sponsorship deal shows the brand value of the SPL going forward. Our new corporate partner Greggs will deliver quality products and services in this focus-driven marketplace, and customers can look forward with confidence that their pies will be pure magic. We'll even throw in beans and broon' sauce.'

No, that would do for me... How high are those new anti-suicide barriers at the Erskine Bridge*

* Death guaranteed every time. 100% - due to height of bridge and depth of water below. Strathclyde Fire & Rescue, 2012.

Oh my God, I don't think I could survive seeing Neil Doncaster appear on the telly saying 'This new sponsorship deal shows the brand value of the SPL going forward. Our new corporate partner Greggs will deliver quality products and services in this focus-driven marketplace, and customers can look forward with confidence that their pies will be pure magic. We'll even throw in beans and broon' sauce.'

No, that would do for me... How high are those new anti-suicide barriers at the Erskine Bridge*

* Death guaranteed every time. 100% - due to height of bridge and depth of water below. Strathclyde Fire & Rescue, 2012.

Correct.............but 90% of them hit the streets and not the water ..... ask the residents

Guest somner9

Anyone got a statement or quote to post on this?

If true for the life of me I can't see how a national retailer seeking to get a slice of the modest profit SMFC make from catering can benefit the club, or indeed any club.

Can you see shellic, sevco etc turning over their matchday revenue streams to Greggs who are in the brown smelly stuff at the mo anyway?

And for the record Greggs pies/slices are served just at the right temperature for bacteria to multiply thousands fold, and taste shite!

News travels fast and it hasn't been well received!

818472-13984864-640-360.jpg

Edited by somner9

Guest somner9

Quote from above Record article: Ah-ha!!! this is how they plan to get four ugly sister fixtures next season!

"The firm have also contacted individual clubs, including Celtic and Rangers, who will play in Division Two next season."

Guest somner9

Screw the small local companies for charging £2.50 for a pie when it should cost no more than 80p.

If the club makes more money off it why not

I can't see how as:

A - if the sell them for 80-90p there will be hee-haw profit for a once a fortnight high labour cost operation

B - greggs pies are cold and crap so sales will plummet

I'd have thought given the roller-coaster ride enjoyed by fans at SMP a sponsor whose product would sell well and make a few bob would be 'Tena-Light' for that Ooops moment on passback number 46.

I can't see how as:

A - if the sell them for 80-90p there will be hee-haw profit for a once a fortnight high labour cost operation

B - greggs pies are cold and crap so sales will plummet

I'd have thought given the roller-coaster ride enjoyed by fans at SMP a sponsor whose product would sell well and make a few bob would be 'Tena-Light' for that Ooops moment on passback number 46.

Ye your right.

Don't normally get food at games but when I have done the pies have been either cold and dripping with grease or scorching and burnt to the tray.

Think Cosmos chippy should get a stall at the stadium :D

Anyone got a statement or quote to post on this?

If true for the life of me I can't see how a national retailer seeking to get a slice of the modest profit SMFC make from catering can benefit the club, or indeed any club.

Can you see shellic, sevco etc turning over their matchday revenue streams to Greggs who are in the brown smelly stuff at the mo anyway?

And for the record Greggs pies/slices are served just at the right temperature for bacteria to multiply thousands fold, and taste shite!

News travels fast and it hasn't been well received!

818472-13984864-640-360.jpg

According to this mornings newspaper reporting's it would appear that Greggs are after some sort of deal whereby they assume catering responsibility for all SPL clubs. The modest profit made at our club is still a profit and provides exposure for the Greggs brand.

I find myself very much against this as we are in danger of "selling out" the entire footballing experience to corporate companies. One of the many positive (and often negative) experiences of attending rival football grounds is the critique that each of one us makes (often mentally and very often verbally) of the quality of the pie/Bovril/service quality/burger.

Football will be a poorer place without the experience of the fine "Killie pie" and the shitty and overpriced "bluenose burger".

One of the best pies I ever eat was at Peterhead and I remember it fondly. Would I recall an often replicated Greggs offering in such a way?

Stop selling off the football experience you faceless and non footballing supporting halfwits.