Greggs Bakeover Takeover

Guest somner9

According to this mornings newspaper reporting's it would appear that Greggs are after some sort of deal whereby they assume catering responsibility for all SPL clubs. The modest profit made at our club is still a profit and provides exposure for the Greggs brand.

I find myself very much against this as we are in danger of "selling out" the entire footballing experience to corporate companies. One of the many positive (and often negative) experiences of attending rival football grounds is the critique that each of one us makes (often mentally and very often verbally) of the quality of the pie/Bovril/service quality/burger.

Football will be a poorer place without the experience of the fine "Killie pie" and the shitty and overpriced "bluenose burger".

One of the best pies I ever eat was at Peterhead and I remember it fondly. Would I recall an often replicated Greggs offering in such a way?

Stop selling off the football experience you faceless and non footballing supporting halfwits.

Rock On Tommy!

I hear you brother and hope you'll back my anti Greggs campaign "Support the Team, Get Yer Hauns Aff Oor Cuisine".

Many celebrities (Too numerous to mention) have like Fat Sally and seemingly your good self, pledged their support.

However a transatlantic telephone call to an old mate in the movie business (Talkies: that is Tom) has left me perplexed! Perhaps you could use your skilfull negotiating style to mediate and get our message across to my friend Michael Douglas who quite strongly stated "Somner I've eaten my last game pie"

I'm not sure he 'got it' Tom, although undoubtedly he has been 'gettin' it' a bit too much for his own good.

Edited by somner9

I hate Greggs pies, they give me heartburn, i love our pies, so does my wee boy, who usually eats two pies at every home game!

He won't be a "wee" boy for long.

On the whole I'm in favour of Greggs taking over, most grounds the food is vile, with a few exceptions, Killie and Ross County spring to mind. I think that if the Greggs deal came to pass it could spell the end of Killie all together as a lot of fans only go there for a pie and with the home fans threatening boycotts who will be at Rugby Park?

Greggs have been in talks with the SPL to strike a deal to sell hot snacks at games.

They have also contacted individual Clubs.

Good idea ?

Ironic thing is, i like Greggs but i loved the food at St Mirren Park last Season, as did Abby.

WID MY GREGGS LOYALTY CARD BE VALID ?

will season tickets be valid at local greggs shops,,whistling.gif

Greggs will not be able to supply their goods to every SPL club as i know at least one club whose caterers have their own bakeries and are not going to shoot themselves in the foot when they have contracts in place.

Yep.....100% E=Mc2 ......Already called out ......Free publicity for the Bakery ....Made up nonsense for advertising. .....ASA? .....might want a look.

Guest somner9

Good point !

Could be heavy discounts on Coffees, pastries, cakes etc. thumbup2.gif

I can just see it now.... rolling into Greggs!!! to get your 'Buddie loyalty' 2.655p aff a luke warm meat slice

Quote from above Record article: Ah-ha!!! this is how they plan to get four ugly sister fixtures next season!

"The firm have also contacted individual clubs, including Celtic and Rangers, who will play in Division Two next season."

Indeed,with the ugly sisters abscent from the top league , surely this will leave the door open for Paisley Saint Mirren FC to secure the SPL title. .

Greggs will not be able to supply their goods to every SPL club as i know at least one club whose caterers have their own bakeries and are not going to shoot themselves in the foot when they have contracts in place.

Gregg's on the other hand (pun intended) will shoot themselves in the foot if they are running out of pie filling

Oh my God, I don't think I could survive seeing Neil Doncaster appear on the telly saying 'This new sponsorship deal shows the brand value of the SPL going forward. Our new corporate partner Greggs will deliver quality products and services in this focus-driven marketplace, and customers can look forward with confidence that their pies will be pure magic. We'll even throw in beans and broon' sauce.'

No, that would do for me... How high are those new anti-suicide barriers at the Erskine Bridge*

* Death guaranteed every time. 100% - due to height of bridge and depth of water below. Strathclyde Fire & Rescue, 2012.

Correct.............but 90% of them hit the streets and not the water ..... ask the residents

i was working in a house in old kilpatrick once and the owner told me that one dayhe had noticed he had water marks on the ,he had been away on holiday and found the marks on his return, he went up into the loft and found a "jumper" who had crashed through the roof,

moral of the story is if your going to do it do it in daylight when you can see where you will land

I like greggs stuff because its tasty and its cheap... but i dont think it will be cheap in football grounds so in that case, i wouldnt bother.

I'd much rather that St Mirren, as Paisley's biggest publicity asset, would help provide a massive customer base for a local business. Surely that is a win-win for the town?

i was working in a house in old kilpatrick once and the owner told me that one dayhe had noticed he had water marks on the ,he had been away on holiday and found the marks on his return, he went up into the loft and found a "jumper" who had crashed through the roof,

moral of the story is if your going to do it do it in daylight when you can see where you will land

2 things, surely it doesn't matter where you land the out come would be the same, and I've heard that due to the wind jumpers rarely hit the water with them usually ending up in gardens or in this case houses on that side of the bridge. :ph34r:

I knew a guy years ago who jumped off the bridge. It was tragic but I'm afraid it had a funny side too. He was having psychiatric problems and on the day he parked his van half way over. Folk saw him get out and he had on swimming trunks and had a child's rubber ring round his waist. Some said he had flippers on too but not sure about that. He jumped and hit the water OK. He was alive when they got him out the Clyde but he died soon afterwards. My mother worked beside the guy's mother in Brown & Polson so it did give us a hell of a shock. I won't say his name but he did have a little business and was quite well known especially around Glenburn and Foxbar.

How the f'ck did we get from Greggs pies to jumping off the Erskine Bridge?

The 1st suicide I remember hearing about was a guy who worked in the old Storie St baths who jumped from the bridge.

The 1st suicide I remember hearing about was a guy who worked in the old Storie St baths who jumped from the bridge.

probably down to the lack of anything football related to speak about. Reading the rumour mill is depressing pish, just makes you realise what wallopers post on here, now wheres this bridge?

i remeber that one as well, also apparently some of the jumpers sink straight into the mud and it's never known they have jumped - unless the tide washes them out , personally i'd never jump off the bridge just because the pies are rotten and cost too much - just don't buy them i say

I knew a guy years ago who jumped off the bridge. It was tragic but I'm afraid it had a funny side too. He was having psychiatric problems and on the day he parked his van half way over. Folk saw him get out and he had on swimming trunks and had a child's rubber ring round his waist. Some said he had flippers on too but not sure about that. He jumped and hit the water OK. He was alive when they got him out the Clyde but he died soon afterwards. My mother worked beside the guy's mother in Brown & Polson so it did give us a hell of a shock. I won't say his name but he did have a little business and was quite well known especially around Glenburn and Foxbar.

Poor taste referring to this as funny. I never knew the guy, but he was my father in law's brother and i know most of the story behind this event. There is no funny side, I can assure you.

You are sad excuse for a human if see anything funny in this event, especially considering the effect it had on his family which continues to this day

What a prick you are

Poor taste referring to this as funny. I never knew the guy, but he was my father in law's brother and i know most of the story behind this event. There is no funny side, I can assure you.

You are sad excuse for a human if see anything funny in this event, especially considering the effect it had on his family which continues to this day

I didn't say it was funny. i can assure you it caused upset in my family too. You're probably right in that I shouldn't have made the post and I'm sorry if it caused hurt.

I widnae have wasted fuel when there was perfectly good diving and springboards at Storie St.

Edited by shull

Fair enough McD, I'd accept bizarre rather than funny and i suppose i was being a wee bit nervy earlier as my wife kept asking me what i was looking at as i posted earlier, if id told her she'd have been beside herself as she and her siblings loved the man dearly. As for Shull, the man in question is the same one who worked at the baths. The small business he ran was a chimney-cleaning and odd-job business which he shared with my late father in law, as i said, i never knew the man but the stories i heard made me really wish that i had. He was extremely well known and well liked in Paisley in his young days

He was already experiencing a LOT of problems when, older buddies will recall, a construction crane collapsed and crashed through the roof of the baths, he was the person in charge that day and was solely responsible for getting all of the kids out of the pool safely. the cumulative effect of post traumatic stress from that day and the stresses of his life were too much for him and he became very ill.

Shull, i know how fond you are of throwing names around, it pretty much sums you up as a person, he was not a daftie-he was and is a hero

Edited by beyond our ken

Fair enough McD, I'd accept bizarre rather than funny and i suppose i was being a wee bit nervy earlier as my wife kept asking me what i was looking at as i posted earlier, if id told her she'd have been beside herself as she and her siblings loved the man dearly. As for Shull, the man in question is the same one who worked at the baths. The small business he ran was a chimney-cleaning and odd-job business which he shared with my late father in law, as i said, i never knew the man but the stories i heard made me really wish that i had. He was extremely well known and well liked in Paisley in his young days

He was already experiencing a LOT of problems when, older buddies will recall, a construction crane collapsed and crashed through the roof of the baths, he was the person in charge that day and was solely responsible for getting all of the kids out of the pool safely. the cumulative effect of post traumatic stress from that day and the stresses of his life were too much for him and he became very ill.

Shull, i know how fond you are of throwing names around, it pretty much sums you up as a person, he was not a daftie-he was and is a hero

There, i've removed the word which offended YOU

Sorry

Now you explain the bold bit above in your post.

Edited by shull