Right Place At The Right Time....

Drew

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23000252

Have you ever been at the right place, at the right time?

I once saved a dog from drowning despite the fact that I couldn't really swim.

I noticed it was in trouble so threw a brick at its head and killed it that way. It was the humane thing to do.

But seriously....

I was jogging along the towpath of the River Leven when I observed something of a minor commotion ahead of me. As I was on the stretch between Balloch and Alexandria, I assumed that someone had been seriously assaulted and the assailants were trying to drown the victim, but I was mistaken. As I approached, I noticed a close-to-hysteria woman gesticulating to the water's edge. Her canine companion had slipped off the edge and fallen onto a small ledge by the water level, and was clearly distressed....as was the owner. An auld guy was hovering about but looked more clueless than the dug, to be honest. I contemplated running by (and possibly wishing them luck as I did so as a nice touch) but decided to stop to weigh up the options.

Now, the Leven is the 2nd fastest flowing river in the country, and when it has been raining for a while, is quite a fearsome sight for a barely able to swim diddy like myself. The dog was below us and at a height that it was just about possible to grab it, but then what? The likelihood was that the grabber (it seemed I had inadvertently cast myself in this role) would simply lose purchase on the bank, and be dragged to his watery death alongside Fido.

I enlisted the old guy to hold onto my legs as I lay stomach down on the bank and attempted to grab the dog's collar. The woman was in an hysterical state by this point and therefore worst than useless in the context of this enterprise. I grabbed the dog's collar then paused to consider exactly what I might do beyond this. It seems a surge of adrenalin sphincter-shredding terror coursed through me, and I somehow managed to muster the strength to haul the mutt back onto the bank.

Moderately heroic you are no doubt thinking. Well, I didn't even get a mention in the f'cking local rag, much less an award for bravery off of some Chief Constable, MSP, or local disc jockey! What a piss poor state of affairs. That said, if faced with the same situation again, would I run past?

Probably.

PS: apologies for the pish thread/opening post, though I am reassured that it is one notch up from all the retarded fictitious signing shite we've been subjected to of late.

Edited by Drew