Power Washers - Pros & Cons

faraway saint

Liking the look of the one on the link below.......................early days, going to try to borrow one to see the results.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nilfisk-X-Tra-Accessory-Pressure-Washer/dp/B00AGD5IFI/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

Use to sell Power washers in Previous employment, problem with this choice or similar Brands (including Kartcher) is getting them repaired when they develop a fault or parts need replaced.

If you are prepared to spend the money then choose a Stihl

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Pressure-Washers-and-Vacuums/0310/High-Pressure-Cold-Water-Cleaners.aspx

or Makita although not as good/reliable Makita are fairly good and spares/repairs are easily available

http://www.makitauk.com/products/front/?id=1281

Bought one a few years ago.

Unbelieveable the difference it made to the slabs.

Then I put it onto a wider setting and washed the car with it.

Finally, I put it on the widest setting possible, asked the kids to come out and help and then once they were in range soaked them.

Fabulous.

Might want to wear waterproofs when doing the slab though as I got soaked in muddy splashes.

Bought one a few years ago.

Unbelieveable the difference it made to the slabs.

Then I put it onto a wider setting and washed the car with it.

Finally, I put it on the widest setting possible, asked the kids to come out and help and then once they were in range soaked them.

Fabulous.

Might want to wear waterproofs when doing the slab though as I got soaked in muddy splashes.

I was going to do it naked except for flip flops?

Use to sell Power washers in Previous employment, problem with this choice or similar Brands (including Kartcher) is getting them repaired when they develop a fault or parts need replaced.

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Pressure-Washers-and-Vacuums/0310/High-Pressure-Cold-Water-Cleaners.aspx

or Makita although not as good/reliable Makita are fairly good and spares/repairs are easily available

Cheers.

This.

Karcher are a nightmare for parts.

This.

Karcher are a nightmare for parts.

There is a good Ebay shop for bits, I'll see if I can find it again, also good for "open box" new stuff on the cheap. Bought three from them in the past for other people.

One of mine broke and I took the hose and the gun offshore..........some B****d stole the gun !!!!!!!!!

As someone said upstream - there is a certain satisfaction gained in using a power washer because you can see the real difference in before & after, I usually make sure I'm wearing an old pair or trainers, joggies and a hoodie with the hood up as the muck goes everywhere and it smells like the stuff from the bottom of a fish tank.

The main downside to power washing patios, which I'm not sure most people are aware of, is that all finished stone has a coating - the slabs on the patio, the stairs to your back door, the driveway.

When you power clean you remove this important algae resistant layer - yes your nice clean patio looks brand new, but I guarantee by the time it gets to next year it's going to look greener than ever, that patio might have been down 6 years before you finally bought the washer, but believe me you'll be cleaning it ever year from now on.

If anyone's reading who has recently dropped a few k on a mono block driveway and has recently power washed it I'd advise them to pick up a can of stone sealant.

Edited by Eddy

As someone said upstream - there is a certain satisfaction gained in using a power washer because you can see the real difference in before & after, I usually make sure I'm wearing an old pair or trainers, joggies and a hoodie with the hood up as the muck goes everywhere and it smells like the stuff from the bottom of a fish tank.

The main downside to power washing patios, which I'm not sure most people are aware of, is that all finished stone has a coating - the slabs on the patio, the stairs to your back door, the driveway.

When you power clean you remove this important algae resistant layer - yes your nice clean patio looks brand new, but I guarantee by the time it gets to next year it's going to look greener than ever, that patio might have been down 6 years before you finally bought the washer, but believe me you'll be cleaning it ever year from now on.

If anyone's reading who has recently dropped a few k on a mono block driveway and has recently power washed it I'd advise them to pick up a can of stone sealant.

What happened to the thieves?

I bothered reading the rest of this thread just cos you mentioned thieves....

Guest TPAFKATS

As someone said upstream - there is a certain satisfaction gained in using a power washer because you can see the real difference in before & after, I usually make sure I'm wearing an old pair or trainers, joggies and a hoodie with the hood up as the muck goes everywhere and it smells like the stuff from the bottom of a fish tank. The main downside to power washing patios, which I'm not sure most people are aware of, is that all finished stone has a coating - the slabs on the patio, the stairs to your back door, the driveway. When you power clean you remove this important algae resistant layer - yes your nice clean patio looks brand new, but I guarantee by the time it gets to next year it's going to look greener than ever, that patio might have been down 6 years before you finally bought the washer, but believe me you'll be cleaning it ever year from now on. If anyone's reading who has recently dropped a few k on a mono block driveway and has recently power washed it I'd advise them to pick up a can of stone sealant.

This. Clean the patio in spring - one wet summer later and the slabs are green!

I had seven years worth of shite building up on my drive, now I have it looking brand new again, and nicely filled the gaps with new sand... but I've blasted the protection off it, and it'll soon be covered in green slimy gunk.

Sometimes, you just can't win!

Nothing you need if you're prepared to use elbow grease and a brush, but if really must have yet another thing, I'd say definitely go for a karcher; most of the (2 or 3) others I've seen are underpowered.

Pros: great if you're lazy, a bit quicker than manual effort .

Cons: use more water than you need, can never do as good a job as manual labour; need to be careful where you use it and take care with run off; expensive accessories (esp Karcher - once they've got you, they really milk you for cash for fluid, parts etc)

i recently borrowed my dads and i fell in love with it! my decking which hadnt been touched in the 7years ive lived here- cleaned right up! and my slabs which i assumed were 'cooncil' slabs as been grey since i got here are actually a buff colour! GET ONE!!!

I havent read through this thread but did see the first page - you will end up BOGGING and naw dont wear flip flops!

if you have those mesh garden chairs - do those too - my grey chairs are now persil white :-)

i recently borrowed my dads and i fell in love with it! my decking which hadnt been touched in the 7years ive lived here- cleaned right up! and my slabs which i assumed were 'cooncil' slabs as been grey since i got here are actually a buff colour! GET ONE!!!

I havent read through this thread but did see the first page - you will end up BOGGING and naw dont wear flip flops!

if you have those mesh garden chairs - do those too - my grey chairs are now persil white :-)

You sound a right minger. lol.giflol.giflol.gif