Hearts And Us.

Barr, Grainger, Ryan McGowan, Webster, Zaliukas, Taouil, Novikovas, Driver, Templeton, Ngoo, Sutton gone in the past 9 months. Most of them were in their squad the whole season and they only finished 14 points off bottom.

Providing that the signing embargo isn't lifted by the end of the transfer window, Hearts' strongest team will probably be along the lines of:

---------------------MacDonald (27)--------------------------

Hamill (27) McGowan (22) Wilson (21) McHattie (20)

Tapping (20) Holt (20) Robinson (21) Walker (20)

------------Stevenson (28) Carrick (19)--------------------

Locke will have to be a miracle worker to claw back the 15 points.

Edited by Julian Banjos

Barr, Grainger, Ryan McGowan, Webster, Zaliukas, Taouil, Novikovas, Driver, Templeton, Ngoo, Sutton gone in the past 9 months. Most of them were in their squad the whole season and they only finished 14 points off bottom.

Providing that the signing embargo isn't lifted by the end of the transfer window, Hearts' strongest team will probably be along the lines of:

---------------------MacDonald (27)--------------------------

Hamill (27) McGowan (22) Wilson (21) McHattie (20)

Tapping (20) Holt (20) Robinson (21) Walker (20)

------------Stevenson (28) Carrick (19)--------------------

Locke will have to be a miracle worker to claw back the 15 points.

Looks like a similar team to the one that pumped us 3-0 at the end of the season.whistling.gif

Hearts will be more dangerous than many people probably think this season. For a start, a 15 point deduction in SPL terms is not THAT great a gap given that there is next to no transitivity amongst the teams (excluding Celtic). I reckon Hearts will likely set about this season with a firm siege mentality in place thanks to all the turbulence thrown their way in the close season, and the fact they are left with a bunch of young Scottish players will do them no harm. The fact that Tynecastle will likely be packed at every home game will give them as good a home record as anybody in the bottom half at least I would reckon.

Make no mistake...Hearts will be up for it.

Hearts will be more dangerous than many people probably think this season. For a start, a 15 point deduction in SPL terms is not THAT great a gap given that there is next to no transitivity amongst the teams (excluding Celtic). I reckon Hearts will likely set about this season with a firm siege mentality in place thanks to all the turbulence thrown their way in the close season, and the fact they are left with a bunch of young Scottish players will do them no harm. The fact that Tynecastle will likely be packed at every home game will give them as good a home record as anybody in the bottom half at least I would reckon.

Added to which, they'll get every f**king decision going from the refs. Especially at Tynecastle.

The thing that really annoys me about Rangers, Hearts, and all the other teams who've lived beyond their means for years (add Livingston, Gretna, Dunfermline to that list for definite) is that it's the football equivalent of a cyclist in the Tour de France dope-taking to gain an advantage over his rivals. Totally against the rules, but until someone finds you out, you get away with it, then it all comes crashing down around you.

Unfortunately, the same way drug cheats don't always get kicked out of the sport forever, the football authorities let the money cheats back in too.

Perhaps but they need a good enough team on the park. Commitment will only take you so far and if they use a lot of their young players then there is always the danger that they are a)not prepared for a long slog or B) not good enough at this level and c) burn out very quickly. No doubt that the ground will be full but firstly they have to get out of administration and all that that carries. Gary Locke has some job on his hands should Hearts survive in this league. There will be signing bans, fines and the possibility of liquidation if they cannot secure the finance to continue to pay their bills. Personally, I would have had them relegated last season but they used the loop hole to stave off announcing administration until the end of the season.

Perhaps but they need a good enough team on the park. Commitment will only take you so far and if they use a lot of their young players then there is always the danger that they are a)not prepared for a long slog or cool.png not good enough at this level and c) burn out very quickly. No doubt that the ground will be full but firstly they have to get out of administration and all that that carries. Gary Locke has some job on his hands should Hearts survive in this league. There will be signing bans, fines and the possibility of liquidation if they cannot secure the finance to continue to pay their bills. Personally, I would have had them relegated last season but they used the loop hole to stave off announcing administration until the end of the season.

I don't disagree. Things could definitely go in an extreme direction either way, most probably somewhere along the middle ground (which will be good enough for SPL survival in my opinion). I think we need to separate the business side from the football side in deciding how good they will be next year.

In a business sense, it's all too common for players, managers etc to speak of minimal concern for this side of things as they go about their job for the season. Of course this won't be the case if they are having consistent concerns about wages being payed etc, in that sense the concerns of the business would be intertwined with the proceedings of the playing staff, and have a quite probable effect.

On the other hand, if they get to a stage where player wages are not an ongoing concern and they start to get their feet on the ground again, I think that GL has a fairly easy job of motivating and getting the best from his players given all the off-field drama. With the players remaining there all taking wage cuts it shows a genuine affiliation for their club, you are right that commitment will only get you so far, but commitment is a rather good start!

I tend to think that things will be largely positive this season for Hearts, and I think they may well finish higher than last year if they are able to attain some level of financial certainty early in the season.

I disagree that they should have been relegated. I think calling it a loop hole is incorrect, as the rules were there in black and white which Hearts situation applied to. Im also quite glad to see Dundee (and their manager) relegated to Div1, the fact that JB was acutely vocal about the circumstances just makes it a little better IMO. Hearts is one of the fixtures I look forward to, Dundee...not so much.

There's a really key point everyone's missing so far.

Gary Locke will be a f**king SHITE manager!!!

Too early to say. We need to give the guy at least a full season at the helm before making any judgement calls. If he manages to achieve safety for Hearts this year he will have done just fine I reckon.

I think a lot of folk will refer to the fact that the guy bleeds maroon as a positive...for me that doesn't really matter, since managerial ability is neither hindered nor advanced by strength of affiliation to the club...ultimately it will boil down to managerial ability and nothing else...

Next season may be more appropriate for placing GL under the microscope, for those who wish to do so.

Too early to say. We need to give the guy at least a full season at the helm before making any judgement calls. If he manages to achieve safety for Hearts this year he will have done just fine I reckon.

I think a lot of folk will refer to the fact that the guy bleeds maroon as a positive...for me that doesn't really matter, since managerial ability is neither hindered nor advanced by strength of affiliation to the club...ultimately it will boil down to managerial ability and nothing else...

Next season may be more appropriate for placing GL under the microscope, for those who wish to do so.

I think Locke's only string to his bow is just that. He's a 'Hearts man'. He looked like a f**king ghost in interviews after our cup final win. As I see it, his only 'tactic' is that he thinks he can fire players up because he's a 'Hearts man'.

There'll be a lot of 'salt n sauce' pre-match team talks I reckon.

"C'mon boys, lets get intae these Weedgies", I reckon. Even when they're playing teams like us or Killie, who're clearly f**k all to do with Glasgow.

If they stick with him he might do a job in the first division but I dunno. Derby games against Livingston might cost him his job if they don't win them.

I would love us to be the team to relegate them. They speak of us like we're shite. Still blame us for their own f**k up in '86. Honestly, f**k them. I f**king hate them. A team I wouldn't miss, just like their cousins from Govan.

I think Locke's only string to his bow is just that. He's a 'Hearts man'. He looked like a f**king ghost in interviews after our cup final win. As I see it, his only 'tactic' is that he thinks he can fire players up because he's a 'Hearts man'.

There'll be a lot of 'salt n sauce' pre-match team talks I reckon.

"C'mon boys, lets get intae these Weedgies", I reckon. Even when they're playing teams like us or Killie, who're clearly f**k all to do with Glasgow.

If they stick with him he might do a job in the first division but I dunno. Derby games against Livingston might cost him his job if they don't win them.

I would love us to be the team to relegate them. They speak of us like we're shite. Still blame us for their own f**k up in '86. Honestly, f**k them. I f**king hate them. A team I wouldn't miss, just like their cousins from Govan.

The whole 1986 thing is a weird one indeed. Don't get why they keep harping on about that one either when they essentially shot themselves in the face anyways, mountains out of shell-holes etc.

Would be interesting to see them slug it out in Div1 with Sevco. In terms of them being relegated...I reckon that it's unlikely, even with all the off field dramas I can still imagine a few teams having a much worse time of things in comparison to last year. If I had to pick a favourite...maybe Ross County.

Another thing of course is the possibility that the likes of Kilmarnock or Aberdeen end up in administration at some stage, particularly Kilmarnock who I would guess are overdue an insolvency event of sorts.

• 6 years later...
On 7/6/2013 at 1:13 AM, ss39Lavety said:

The whole 1986 thing is a weird one indeed. Don't get why they keep harping on about that one either when they essentially shot themselves in the face anyways, mountains out of shell-holes etc.

Would be interesting to see them slug it out in Div1 with Sevco. In terms of them being relegated...I reckon that it's unlikely, even with all the off field dramas I can still imagine a few teams having a much worse time of things in comparison to last year. If I had to pick a favourite...maybe Ross County.

Another thing of course is the possibility that the likes of Kilmarnock or Aberdeen end up in administration at some stage, particularly Kilmarnock who I would guess are overdue an insolvency event of sorts.

I actually have no problem with Hertz fans holding a grudge from 1986 (even some who might not have been born then) it's Newco fans who bring it up when it had nothing to do with them. When Newco fans do bring this up I point out that twice during their 9IAR run in the 90s they fielded weakened teams immediately after clinching the title and lost affecting who got relegated.

Back on topic

87 SC S/F, 88 winning at Tynecastle on the penultimate day of the season IIRC to avoid relegation, 2013 LC final & March 11 2020 henceforward to be known as ObikaDay - I love Hertz but get thum doon

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

I actually have no problem with Hertz fans holding a grudge from 1986 (even some who might not have been born then) it's Newco fans who bring it up when it had nothing to do with them. When Newco fans do bring this up I point out that twice during their 9IAR run in the 90s they fielded weakened teams immediately after clinching the title and lost affecting who got relegated.

Back on topic

87 SC S/F, 88 winning at Tynecastle on the penultimate day of the season IIRC to avoid relegation, 2013 LC final & March 11 2020 henceforward to be known as ObikaDay - I love Hertz but get thum doon

I take a different view. It very much annoys me when they have a go about 86. Scapegoating us to cover up the fact that they couldnae take care of their own business and completely shat their pants.

I usually respond by saying “You are right. We did cost you the title in 86, but we didn’t do it by losing to Celtic. We did it by scudding you 6-2 earlier in the season. 

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Back on topic

Also buggered up their unbeaten home record as well that season, which was nice, especially given the abuse McGarvey received that day

4 hours ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Why Hearts and us ????

Why are we associating with a Team one division below us.......😂

It is a strange thing with some Buddies....

I have always been baffled by Buddies who give a shit about Morton.

43 minutes ago, antrin said:

Me too. I know it's a historical thing, but I would prefer a rivalry with Partick - they're much closer geographically and we are both the same size and live in the shadow of the Old Firm. Plus I don't like their fans - hipsters (beardy weirdies, bohemians), students and those whose sensibilities are too fragile to cope with the bigotry of the Old Firm. I really don't like Thistle, actually.

2 hours ago, antrin said:

It is callled hatred son.  

Hatred is an unhealthy obsession and I know from my own experience just how  infectious such hatred can be

In my time I have known folk to hate

Nazis

Germans

Catholics

Jews 

Blacks

Asians

The French

The disabled

Gingers

Chinese

Japs 

etc etc

Hatred is a horrible part of the human psyche, horrible indeed,  However as much as we would all like to hug a tree and proclaim we are free of such tribal preconceptions, we are not.  We are Apes in skin.  So to satisfy my evolved need to hate I satisfy my yearning and quench it with a hatered of all things Greenock.  Lets face it Greenock

Smells of poverty

Still has Labour voters

Is a degenerate heroin addicted hole

Is the sceptic knobcheese of the west

Has the shittest football team that common decency would allow

Is an underclass shitstain on society

Is just one big council (but not council tax paying) scheme of scum.

I know full well that Scotland needs to be and will be an independent country.  I would absolutely allow Greenock to remain under the English jackboot, no decent society needs those reprabates.   Greenock satisfies my need for hatred and by golly it is well deserved.

Edited by TediousTom

41 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

It is callled hatred son.  

Hatred is an unhealthy obsession and I know from my own experience just how  infectious such hatred can be

In my time I have known folk to hate

Nazis

Germans

Catholics

Jews 

Blacks

Asians

The French

The disabled

Gingers

Chinese

Japs 

etc etc

Hatred is a horrible part of the human psyche, horrible indeed,  However as much as we would all like to hug a tree and proclaim we are free of such tribal preconceptions, we are not.  We are Apes in skin.  So to satisfy my evolved need to hate I satisfy my yearning and quench it with a hatered of all things Greenock.  Lets face it Greenock

Smells of poverty

Still has Labour voters

Is a degenerate heroin addicted hole

Is the sceptic knobcheese of the west

Has the shittest football team that common decency would allow

Is an underclass shitstain on society

Is just one big council (but not council tax paying) scheme of scum.

I know full well that Scotland needs to be and will be an independent country.  I would absolutely allow Greenock to remain under the English jackboot, no decent society needs those reprabates.   Greenock satisfies my need for hatred and by golly it is well deserved.

You missed out old codgers Tom :rolleyes: 

13 hours ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Also buggered up their unbeaten home record as well that season, which was nice, especially given the abuse McGarvey received that day

Every game wee Frank got it

A mind the cup game in 86 where they booted f**k out of money and Neil Cooper went in goals.

We were surrounded by the Maroon Balloons who giving it tight to McGarvey

At the end of the game a few started to appauld the man

With shouts "No wonder you're knackered McGarvey you're carrying a whole team"

Great wee player never gave up