Plastic Bag Charges

oaksoft

This kind of leads back to my initial post - I have an old sports bag in the boot of the car which contains a pile of re-useable bags that I take into Tesco, Asda or wherever when I go to do my shopping. However, when I go into Glasgow or Braehead or wherever, to buy clothes, CDs, trainers... I don't head into town clutching a handful of plastic bags - and I don't see anyone else doing so either - unlike at Tesco for the food shopping. Hence my initial query. If I'm in town, I expect HMV to put my purchase in a wee bag, I expect Ralph Slater to put my shirts in a plastic bag, and I expect JD Sports to put my trainers in a plastic bag.

...and I don't want them to charge me for the bag either. Supermarkets? I get it - hundreds of shoppers with packed trollies = lots of flimsy bags. I hope this new scheme doesn't extend to non-food shopping, that's all.

Would a paper bag do ? thumbup2.gif

& in five years time theyll be telling us were running out of trees !! sad.png

Btw , fwiw i have no issue with charging for poly bags, i regularly give them back at checkouts when the smelly spotty girl automatically puts my bottle of pepsi max & turkish delight into a bag without thinking.!

What do i need a f**kin bag for ? Make it 20p a bag, give the supermarkets an annual quota & fine them if they exceed it !!

This kind of leads back to my initial post - I have an old sports bag in the boot of the car which contains a pile of re-useable bags that I take into Tesco, Asda or wherever when I go to do my shopping. However, when I go into Glasgow or Braehead or wherever, to buy clothes, CDs, trainers... I don't head into town clutching a handful of plastic bags - and I don't see anyone else doing so either - unlike at Tesco for the food shopping. Hence my initial query. If I'm in town, I expect HMV to put my purchase in a wee bag, I expect Ralph Slater to put my shirts in a plastic bag, and I expect JD Sports to put my trainers in a plastic bag.

...and I don't want them to charge me for the bag either. Supermarkets? I get it - hundreds of shoppers with packed trollies = lots of flimsy bags. I hope this new scheme doesn't extend to non-food shopping, that's all.

So, it's ok for you with your carload of poly bags to expect to pay for more bags.

What about poor people with no cars that they can load up, who only have time and money to buy odd things as and when they can? Should they be charged for supermarket shopping bags and subsidise your dvds, shirts and trainers bags?

So, it's ok for you with your carload of poly bags to expect to pay for more bags.

What about poor people with no cars that they can load up, who only have time and money to buy odd things as and when they can? Should they be charged for supermarket shopping bags and subsidise your dvds, shirts and trainers bags?

Erm, no, I don't expect to pay for poly bags. All I asked about was the Scottish Governments imposition of a 5p charge - specifically if it would be across the board, or simply in supermarkets.

That's it. Not sure what you're trying to say to be perfectly honest in regard to poor people subsidising my trainer purchases. You can shove shit like that right back where you dredged it up frankly.

You go into town - do you see anyone out to buy anything come armed with bags? No. You go to a supermarket - do you see anyone come armed with bags? Yes - all the time...and they could be rich, poor, black, white or fcuking Eskimo.

I just want to know if wee Eck the Jambo plans to apply the 5p bag rule to every sales emporium that issues poly bags.

Edited by pozbaird

Scottish government applying another EU directive as they rubber stamp their way through a very lacklustre parliament. There is almost an argument here for giving that shower of wanks at Holyrood more powers just to give them something useful to do.

As for the plastic bag tax, I will never pay it.

BTW does this mean that councils will no longer be giving out dog shit bags to dog owners? Councils have been giving these out for free for years now and it genuinely has made a difference to our environment.

Scottish government applying another EU directive as they rubber stamp their way through a very lacklustre parliament. There is almost an argument here for giving that shower of wanks at Holyrood more powers just to give them something useful to do.

As for the plastic bag tax, I will never pay it.

BTW does this mean that councils will no longer be giving out dog shit bags to dog owners? Councils have been giving these out for free for years now and it genuinely has made a difference to our environment.

Send us a picture of you trying to carry all them messages home. lol.gif

Production

When going shopping to the supermarket we the family always take reusable bags with us. The amount of plastic bags being buried into the ground is staggering, given the amount of time it takes to break down plastic it can’t be good for the environment. Though like Poz say’s it is all very vague ? You don’t take reusable bags on impulse shopping so in many way’s this does not seem to have been thought through properly. Plastic could be cut right down on production for alternatives , unfortunately the power of Oil companies working with their puppet govermments will not allow this to happen simply because it's the biggest profit on income for the oil companies .

Still I will be voting for Independence even with the 5p charge

Easy, i've started stockpiling carrier bags now.

By the time October 2014 arrives i will have enough to last me forever.

I will use them over and over and over again and maybe hand out free yins to OAP's in Arbroff.

Edited by shull

Production

When going shopping to the supermarket we the family always take reusable bags with us. The amount of plastic bags being buried into the ground is staggering, given the amount of time it takes to break down plastic it can’t be good for the environment. Though like Poz say’s it is all very vague ? You don’t take reusable bags on impulse shopping so in many way’s this does not seem to have been thought through properly. Plastic could be cut right down on production for alternatives , unfortunately the power of Oil companies working with their puppet govermments will not allow this to happen simply because it's the biggest profit on income for the oil companies .

And i'll no be voting for anybody ( for Uk, Scottish Govt or Cooncil ) while this Country is a Pothole Shithole.

Production

It's been in operation for quite some time now in other countries and is working well. (See post #26)

It'll work fine, only a small minority who moan about everything and anything will try to find a problem.

Plastic bags used to be good for making into hats when it started raining on your way to Scotland games at Hampden. You just don't see that anymore. Possibly died out at the same time as macaroon bars an' ra' spearmint choo-ing gum.

Anyway, not sure if the poly bag issue is an independence deal breaker for me or not. Nicola Sturgeon appearing on TV waffling shite about an independent Scottish secret service replacing MI6 made me lean towards retaining the union.

I remain open to persuasion either way, but Sturgeon is single-handedly doing a pretty good job in making me go out and buy a Team GB tracksuit top.... in a plastic bag costing zero pence.

I do the weekly shopping. Here is what I do.

I go to supermarket, I put goods in trolley and go to checkout. I let the wifie scan them and I put them back into the trolley (no poly bags in sight). I pay up and f**k off to the car.

I have a couple of heavy duty cardboard boxes in the boot of the car. I fill them up straight out the trolley. I close the boot. I take the trolley back. I drive home.

Edited by Reynard

It's been in operation for quite some time now in other countries and is working well. (See post #26)

It'll work fine, only a small minority who moan about everything and anything will try to find a problem.

It's an EU directive being rubber stamped throughout all the various parliaments and devolved assemblies. Just like 80% of all law being passed both at Westminster and Holyrood.

Our politicians are simply faceless stooges which give a veneer of respectability to the lack of democratic process going on.

As for plastic bags? It will do nothing, it will solve nothing and it is a further tax being added to the cost of living.

Anyone that actually welcomes the opportunity to be taxed more, is, in my view, a stupid c**t.

It's an EU directive being rubber stamped throughout all the various parliaments and devolved assemblies. Just like 80% of all law being passed both at Westminster and Holyrood.

Our politicians are simply faceless stooges which give a veneer of respectability to the lack of democratic process going on.

As for plastic bags? It will do nothing, it will solve nothing and it is a further tax being added to the cost of living.

Anyone that actually welcomes the opportunity to be taxed more, is, in my view, a stupid c**t.

Oh dear, another rant from the rebel without a cause.................

How Are Plastic Bags Harmful to the Environment?

Plastic bags are used by everybody. You get them, right from a vegetable vendor to a designer store. They are convenient and easy to use. But, most of us are blissfully off the repercussions that are occurring and will take place in the future. The following paragraphs discuss the impact of plastic pollution on the environment.

Litter the Landscape

Once they are used, most bags go into landfill, or rubbish tips. Each year, more and more bags are ending up littering the environment. Once they become litter, plastic bags find their way into our waterways, parks, beaches, and streets. And, if they are burned, they infuse the air with toxic fumes.

Kill Animals

About 100,000 animals, such as dolphins, turtles whales, penguins are killed every year due to these bags. Many animals ingest plastic bags, mistaking them for food and therefore, die. And worse, the ingested plastic bag remains intact even after the death and decomposition of the animal. Thus, it lies around in the landscape where another victim may ingest it.

Non-biodegradable

One of the worst environmental effects is they are non-biodegradable. The decomposition takes about 400 years. No one will live so long to witness decomposition of plastic! Thus, save the environment for the future generation of humans as well as animals.

Petroleum Is Required to Produce Plastic Bags

Petroleum products are diminishing and getting more expensive by the day, since we have used this non-renewable resource, increasingly. Petroleum is vital for our modern way of life. It is necessary for our energy requirements -- for our factories, transport, heating, lighting, and so on. Without viable alternative sources of energy yet on the horizon, if the supply of petroleum were to be turned off, it would lead to, practically the entire world grinding to a halt. And to make plastic, about 60 - 100 million barrels of oil are needed every year around the world. Surely, this precious resource should not be wasted on producing plastic bags, should it?

PS I really don't give a fcuk. lol.gif Although, if it reduces the amount of plastic bags littering up the town and countryside I'm 100% behind it. whistling.gif
Edited by faraway saint

Oh dear, another rant from the rebel without a cause.................

How Are Plastic Bags Harmful to the Environment?

Plastic bags are used by everybody. You get them, right from a vegetable vendor to a designer store. They are convenient and easy to use. But, most of us are blissfully off the repercussions that are occurring and will take place in the future. The following paragraphs discuss the impact of plastic pollution on the environment.

Litter the Landscape

Once they are used, most bags go into landfill, or rubbish tips. Each year, more and more bags are ending up littering the environment. Once they become litter, plastic bags find their way into our waterways, parks, beaches, and streets. And, if they are burned, they infuse the air with toxic fumes.

Kill Animals

About 100,000 animals, such as dolphins, turtles whales, penguins are killed every year due to these bags. Many animals ingest plastic bags, mistaking them for food and therefore, die. And worse, the ingested plastic bag remains intact even after the death and decomposition of the animal. Thus, it lies around in the landscape where another victim may ingest it.

Non-biodegradable

One of the worst environmental effects is they are non-biodegradable. The decomposition takes about 400 years. No one will live so long to witness decomposition of plastic! Thus, save the environment for the future generation of humans as well as animals.

Petroleum Is Required to Produce Plastic Bags

Petroleum products are diminishing and getting more expensive by the day, since we have used this non-renewable resource, increasingly. Petroleum is vital for our modern way of life. It is necessary for our energy requirements -- for our factories, transport, heating, lighting, and so on. Without viable alternative sources of energy yet on the horizon, if the supply of petroleum were to be turned off, it would lead to, practically the entire world grinding to a halt. And to make plastic, about 60 - 100 million barrels of oil are needed every year around the world. Surely, this precious resource should not be wasted on producing plastic bags, should it?

PS I really don't give a fcuk. lol.gif Although, if it reduces the amount of plastic bags littering up the town and countryside I'm 100% behind it. whistling.gif

I know how the environ MENTALISTS view things like plastic bags. In Ireland this has been attempted and it has actually led to more of the non biodegradeable bin liner type black bags being used.

This is simply a tax dressed up as some sort of save the planet shite so that soft in the head bunny hugging leftarded wankers can applaud it.

Oil is a natural substance. Everything eventually biodegrades, sometimes it take a bit longer, but it will still return to dust.

I know how the environ MENTALISTS view things like plastic bags. In Ireland this has been attempted and it has actually led to more of the non biodegradeable bin liner type black bags being used.

This is simply a tax dressed up as some sort of save the planet shite so that soft in the head bunny hugging leftarded wankers can applaud it.

Oil is a natural substance. Everything eventually biodegrades, sometimes it take a bit longer, but it will still return to dust.

So the government get all these 5p do they?

Supermarkets have a bin for used plastic bags which are then sent for recycling, or so they say. How many people recycle their plastic bags? I do.

IMO, people have become too lazy in doing their bit as it's outside their respect zone.

Edited by Scabby Dug

So the government get all these 5p do they?

Charity is voluntary. Governments shouldnt be selecting charities on our behalf.

This is a tax imposed by buckled leftie fannies implementing EU directives and attempting to pass it off as their own idea.

Edited by Reynard

They should be recycled as a matter of course, because they should be caught by sorting staff within the refuse department.

As Reynard has already mentioned we have local authorities buying plastic bags to give out for free. In North Lanarkshire they have started a food waste scheme that sees them giving out a years supply of plastic bags to line one of two bins that they give you. If you run out early, no problem, just tie your last plastic bag to the handle of the bin and they'll give you another years supply courtesy of the tax payer. I don't know what the process is at the depot but you have to assume that they have staff that remove the food waste from the plastic bag, put the plastic bag in for recycling and put the food waste in for processing. Why can't the sort the rest of the domestic waste in the same manner.

And plastic bags in the supermarket is actually a very small part of the overall problem. It doesn't tackle the problem of excessive packaging on the products that you will buy to put in the plastic bags that you are supposed to pay 5p for.

Sadly it's yet another half arsed effort by the EU and by Hollyrood to tackle a problem that they continue to create themselves.

They should be recycled as a matter of course, because they should be caught by sorting staff within the refuse department.

As Reynard has already mentioned we have local authorities buying plastic bags to give out for free. In North Lanarkshire they have started a food waste scheme that sees them giving out a years supply of plastic bags to line one of two bins that they give you. If you run out early, no problem, just tie your last plastic bag to the handle of the bin and they'll give you another years supply courtesy of the tax payer. I don't know what the process is at the depot but you have to assume that they have staff that remove the food waste from the plastic bag, put the plastic bag in for recycling and put the food waste in for processing. Why can't the sort the rest of the domestic waste in the same manner.

And plastic bags in the supermarket is actually a very small part of the overall problem. It doesn't tackle the problem of excessive packaging on the products that you will buy to put in the plastic bags that you are supposed to pay 5p for.

Sadly it's yet another half arsed effort by the EU and by Hollyrood to tackle a problem that they continue to create themselves.

Oh dear...............Bin bags are really a very small part of the issue, and not what the OP indicated. Not sure how many people still use plastic bags for the bins, none in this area.

See below some facts......................

Here are some facts about the environmental impact of plastic bags:

• Plastic bags cause over 100,000 sea turtle and other marine animal deaths every year when animals mistaken them for food
  • The manufacture of plastic bags add tonnes of carbon emissions into the air annually
  • In the UK, banning plastic bags would be the equivalent of taking 18,000 cars off the roads each year
  • Between 500 billion and 1 trillion plastic bags are used worldwide each year
  • Approximately 60 - 100 million barrels of oil are required to make the world’s plastic bags each year
  • Most plastic bags take over 400 years to biodegrade. Some figures indicate that plastic bags could take over 1000 years to break down. (I guess nobody will live long enough to find out!). This means not one plastic bag has ever naturally biodegraded.
  • In the UK, each person uses around 220 plastic bags each year

Its just a lame excuse to further tax people into poverty.

Lets face it the packaging regulations for food in particular are driven by health and safety and food hygiene laws which are EU directives which are then gold plated by UK civil servants and then rubber stamped as law in the various parliaments.

If the packaging is actually to blame, then surely we can aim a kick a the people responsible for the ridiculous amounts of packaging now required.

You can barely even buy fish and chips without it now being packaged in some sort of polystyrene box thing. Its all very well blaming the shopkeepers/supermarkets. But they have to comply with the food hygiene laws as passed in the various parliaments.

It is really the EU we need to be looking very closely at and why it has been able to remove sovereignty from the people and from our parliament.

The plastic bag thing is still a load of shite that will prevent nothing at all. It is simply a tax.