Plastic Bag Charges

oaksoft

Oh dear...............Bin bags are really a very small part of the issue, and not what the OP indicated. Not sure how many people still use plastic bags for the bins, none in this area.

See below some facts......................

Here are some facts about the environmental impact of plastic bags:

• Plastic bags cause over 100,000 sea turtle and other marine animal deaths every year when animals mistaken them for food
  • The manufacture of plastic bags add tonnes of carbon emissions into the air annually
  • In the UK, banning plastic bags would be the equivalent of taking 18,000 cars off the roads each year
  • Between 500 billion and 1 trillion plastic bags are used worldwide each year
  • Approximately 60 - 100 million barrels of oil are required to make the world’s plastic bags each year
  • Most plastic bags take over 400 years to biodegrade. Some figures indicate that plastic bags could take over 1000 years to break down. (I guess nobody will live long enough to find out!). This means not one plastic bag has ever naturally biodegraded.
  • In the UK, each person uses around 220 plastic bags each year

This is great news. The environmental impact on animals is bad.

Can you now tell me if the same "save the wildlife" thing applies to the windfarm industry which has sprung up at mega subsidised by the taxpayers expense?

Would you like me to start copying and pasting about the numbers of wild birds slain by the rotors of these vast useless heaps of failure that are springing up everywhere and are about to cause the lights to go out across the UK?

All in the name of saving the planet of course.

This is great news. The environmental impact on animals is bad.

Can you now tell me if the same "save the wildlife" thing applies to the windfarm industry which has sprung up at mega subsidised by the taxpayers expense?

Would you like me to start copying and pasting about the numbers of wild birds slain by the rotors of these vast useless heaps of failure that are springing up everywhere and are about to cause the lights to go out across the UK?

All in the name of saving the planet of course.

Stick to the subject ya dafty.

Every small improvement is for the good.

Your extreme right wing views, which seem to say "If you don't like it fcukem", are best left in the dark ages.

I got 6 rolls from the shop this morning.They came in a nice wee white plastic bag.Will my rolls go up in price?

Think it's time Rick threw in his tuppenceworth as he's in an area that currently using this.

Your point, and the point that Poz made could cause some issues. The supermarket is more clear cut.

Oh dear...............Bin bags are really a very small part of the issue, and not what the OP indicated. Not sure how many people still use plastic bags for the bins, none in this area.

See below some facts......................

Here are some facts about the environmental impact of plastic bags:

• Plastic bags cause over 100,000 sea turtle and other marine animal deaths every year when animals mistaken them for food
  • The manufacture of plastic bags add tonnes of carbon emissions into the air annually
  • In the UK, banning plastic bags would be the equivalent of taking 18,000 cars off the roads each year
  • Between 500 billion and 1 trillion plastic bags are used worldwide each year
  • Approximately 60 - 100 million barrels of oil are required to make the world’s plastic bags each year
  • Most plastic bags take over 400 years to biodegrade. Some figures indicate that plastic bags could take over 1000 years to break down. (I guess nobody will live long enough to find out!). This means not one plastic bag has ever naturally biodegraded.
  • In the UK, each person uses around 220 plastic bags each year

Yeah - OK. Even if I wanted to accept some of those bizarre statistics as fact you still look like you didn't read my post....you know, the one you quoted. As I have said in there, refuse depots already have staff on hand to sort the rubbish we throw away. Plastic products shouldn't be going to landfill if they are doing their job properly - and we could cut down on the waste that is created by all those new plastic bins that we all have sitting on our property. If the concern is about staffing levels well all Scottish Local Authorities currently have employees getting paid substantial amounts of money to sit in the house doing nothing all summer. Why not put all those teachers and lecturers to good use and let them earn their wage over the summer by putting them in these refuse plants to sort the rubbish? Why not put the local authority funded football development coaches to work in there too since they are in their down season period and doing very little as well?

Plastic can be recycled. There is no good reason for any plastic to go to landfill or to waste - we just need to tackle the problem in a different way. Instead of ripping off the individual why not get the local councils to do their f**king job!

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Think it's time Rick threw in his tuppenceworth as he's in an area that currently using this.

Your point, and the point that Poz made could cause some issues. The supermarket is more clear cut.

Don't know that I can add anything significant. Over here the supermarkets and bigger shops really drove a campaign saying 'Do you know from 8th.of April this year you will be charged a minimum of 5p.for all plastic bags'. The supermarkets expected a big backlash when it came in but it didn't happen. Most folk accepted it and had been well warned. There has been a bit of aggro in some smaller shops when they sell you a well creased looking crappy white bag that looks like it has been used several times already. You can take in any old shitey bag you like for your shopping and there is never a word said. There is no sense that shops or supermarkets are trying to sell you bags. Taking your trolley out to the car and putting your shopping in cardboard boxes a la Reynard is applauded, not reviled. A thing that gets on my nerve is my lady wife ringing me and asking me to bring in a few things. Quite often it is enough that I need a bag and I admit I resent having to buy one. 6p. is an awful lot of money. Ask Shull. I wouldn't be surprised if you find that when it comes along, all the fuss will prove to be a storm in a teacup.

Don't know that I can add anything significant. Over here the supermarkets and bigger shops really drove a campaign saying 'Do you know from 8th.of April this year you will be charged a minimum of 5p.for all plastic bags'. The supermarkets expected a big backlash when it came in but it didn't happen. Most folk accepted it and had been well warned. There has been a bit of aggro in some smaller shops when they sell you a well creased looking crappy white bag that looks like it has been used several times already. You can take in any old shitey bag you like for your shopping and there is never a word said. There is no sense that shops or supermarkets are trying to sell you bags. Taking your trolley out to the car and putting your shopping in cardboard boxes a la Reynard is applauded, not reviled. A thing that gets on my nerve is my lady wife ringing me and asking me to bring in a few things. Quite often it is enough that I need a bag and I admit I resent having to buy one. 6p. is an awful lot of money. Ask Shull. I wouldn't be surprised if you find that when it comes along, all the fuss will prove to be a storm in a teacup.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it is.

I, for one, can't wait, to reduce the litter that floats around the streets and rivers and lochs around our beautiful country.

If it helps in other ways, then all the better.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it is.

I, for one, can't wait, to reduce the litter that floats around the streets and rivers and lochs around our beautiful country.

If it helps in other ways, then all the better.

Then get out there and pick up the beer cans from yir fecking BBQbangin.gif

I like the way when people show where Faraway's going wrong, he can't handle it and starts with the "rant from right-wingers" before pleading with other people to post to back him up. Talk about being desperate for approval.

And he gets it every time the big shagicon12.gif

Oil is a natural substance. Everything eventually biodegrades, sometimes it take a bit longer, but it will still return to dust.

Well firstly you should understand that plastic is not the same as oil and therefore doesn't share its properties. The fact the companies spend billions making the conversion from oil to plastic should have been a wee clue for you. Seriously, a basic chemistry book will help you.

Secondly, whilst you MIGHT be correct about eventual decomposition, it would be nice if those things turn to dust faster than over the period of 5000 years.

I think your comment is absolutely shocking in it's ineptitude and utter ignorance.

Edited by oaksoft

They should be recycled as a matter of course, because they should be caught by sorting staff within the refuse department.

As Reynard has already mentioned we have local authorities buying plastic bags to give out for free. In North Lanarkshire they have started a food waste scheme that sees them giving out a years supply of plastic bags to line one of two bins that they give you. If you run out early, no problem, just tie your last plastic bag to the handle of the bin and they'll give you another years supply courtesy of the tax payer. I don't know what the process is at the depot but you have to assume that they have staff that remove the food waste from the plastic bag, put the plastic bag in for recycling and put the food waste in for processing. Why can't the sort the rest of the domestic waste in the same manner.

And plastic bags in the supermarket is actually a very small part of the overall problem. It doesn't tackle the problem of excessive packaging on the products that you will buy to put in the plastic bags that you are supposed to pay 5p for.

Sadly it's yet another half arsed effort by the EU and by Hollyrood to tackle a problem that they continue to create themselves.

You are suggesting that black bin bags are a bigger problem than carrier bags at supermarkets?

Do you experience a lot of people at Tesco putting their shopping into 25 litre black bin bags? lol.gif

Also, you do understand that the term "plastic" is a generic term. You know there are thousands of TYPES of plastic don't you?

You obviously know that. You could TRY and carry all your shopping in a black bin bag but you'll swiftly discover why the small ones are used instead.

Edited by oaksoft

I don’t care.

This shite was discussed on p+b. to death. Two year ago?

I'm still getting plastic bags. If denied, I just walk away and leave the putative purchases.

If any government was serious about pollution of the planet it would address their building of new airports and their encouragement of more traffic on roads.

They won't be taken seriously until they take it seriously.

Shopping bags recycling is a huge irrelevance, making risible impact (if any) on the "problem".

And it's a rip-off of silly people who dumbly collude.

I hope this helps? :)

I don’t care.

This shite was discussed on p+b. to death. Two year ago?

I'm still getting plastic bags. If denied, I just walk away and leave the putative purchases.

If any government was serious about pollution of the planet it would address their building of new airports and their encouragement of more traffic on roads.

They won't be taken seriously until they take it seriously.

Shopping bags recycling is a huge irrelevance, making risible impact (if any) on the "problem".

And it's a rip-off of silly people who dumbly collude.

I hope this helps? smile.png

You won't be denied so your "tough guy" stance is a bit fake.

You will be charged for them though.

You are suggesting that black bin bags are a bigger problem than carrier bags at supermarkets?

Do you experience a lot of people at Tesco putting their shopping into 25 litre black bin bags? lol.gif

Also, you do understand that the term "plastic" is a generic term. You know there are thousands of TYPES of plastic don't you?

You obviously know that. You could TRY and carry all your shopping in a black bin bag but you'll swiftly discover why the small ones are used instead.

Who's talking about black bin bags? NLC issue supermarket sized white plastic bags for food waste. I'd hate to image the smell of your house if you are storing up all that food waste till you fill a black bin bag. And ofcourse there are many different types of plastic - all of which are supposed to go in the blue recycle bin in NLC. If the staff at the refuse depot were doing their job right there would be no need for the average householder to sort their waste. The depot could do it far more effectively and efficiently if they simply did it there.