Johnstone The Wee Gem- Papamacs

I went to papamacs last Sunday aswell joke of a place.

I've ate in some of the best places in Scotland, Papamacs isn't even the best in Renfrewshire.

What did you have mate? Wish you had told me that lat night and I could have avoided.

Went to Il Picolo Mondo last night, food was okay, very decent value. Went for the celebration menu. On that you get two 3 course meals, a bottle of wine and 2 drinks each - one aperitif and one liquer. All for £60.

Food wasn't great but can't grumble about the price.

Went to Il Picolo Mondo last night, food was okay, very decent value. Went for the celebration menu. On that you get two 3 course meals, a bottle of wine and 2 drinks each - one aperitif and one liquer. All for £60.

Food wasn't great but can't grumble about the price.

Sounds like they try to get you pished so you don't know the food isnae brilliant?

Sounds like they try to get you pished so you don't know the food isnae brilliant?

Possibly! Had the muscles with 'white wine sauce' which was abysmal. Tasted just like greasy fish stock. Nowhere near as good as La Tratoria or Cardosis.

First time visit to papamacs and wouldn't return, terrible meal.

Will try La Trattoria next.

Have eaten there a few times and never been disappointed. Nipped in today and had a coffee and haggis nachos. Delicious. Their Eggs Orkney (muffin, Stornoway black pudding, poached eggs, hollandaise sauce) makes a braw breakfast or brunch and the cullen skink is always good.

I've ate in some of the best places in Scotland

blink.png

Have eaten there a few times and never been disappointed. Nipped in today and had a coffee and haggis nachos. Delicious. Their Eggs Orkney (muffin, Stornoway black pudding, poached eggs, hollandaise sauce) makes a braw breakfast or brunch and the cullen skink is always good.

blink.png

Wish I went for the haggis nachos that were on the specials board.

The Sunday menu wasn't great, went for a burger. How can you go wrong with a burger? It was terrible, left more than half of it which I never do even if it isn't great.

Couldn't tase the beef for overpowering spices which were sickening. I love a homemade burger with black pepper and onion through it but this was disgusting.

The wife had bland lasagne which was swimming. Honestly, the amount of watery fluid sitting on top of it was minging.

Edited by davidg

Other than Indian Cuisine Scene and possibly La Mesa, I wouldn't go anywhere outwith Glasgow for a decent meal. Most certainly if it's an Italian meal I was after.

Agreed.

We were going to go to Barolo in Mitchel Lane but thought we would give this place a go as loads of people had said it was good.

Wish I hadn't been lazy and just went to Glasgow.

I know what you mean about food in this neck of the woods. It's much more reliable in Glasgow and there is a better choice. Even Allen's is not quite as good as it was.

But sometimes you just want to eat something fairly simple and low key, Even here often paisley establishments are disappointing. And right now the only place in Paisley I could recommend is the Thai Siam which was excellent last time I went. (I'm to fussy about my curries to got to any of the ones in Paisley and will not go to many in Glasgow either).

No doubt someone is going to tell me they went to Thai Siam recently and it was not as great as before

Agreed.

We were going to go to Barolo in Mitchel Lane but thought we would give this place a go as loads of people had said it was good.

Wish I hadn't been lazy and just went to Glasgow.

I found Barolo Grill overpriced and not as good as other Italian restaurants I've eaten in TBH.

I've been to La Pulcinella the last couple of times and it was very good. The Italian Kitchen was a favourite too, but I've not been there in years.

Just spent a week in Riva Del Garda, so I'm all "Italianed" out at the moment. Although the pizzas there were top notch.

I found Barolo Grill overpriced and not as good as other Italian restaurants I've eaten in TBH.

I've been to La Pulcinella the last couple of times and it was very good. The Italian Kitchen was a favourite too, but I've not been there in years.

Just spent a week in Riva Del Garda, so I'm all "Italianed" out at the moment. Although the pizzas there were top notch.

We like Massimo's Italian restaurant at Bearsden Cross, and Amore in the Merchant City.

We like Massimo's Italian restaurant at Bearsden Cross, and Amore in the Merchant City.

Amore is owned by the same people who own Trattoria Roma in Johnstone. Find the Trat Roma is really good and wouldn't go anywhere else in Johnstone unless to one of the Indians.

Viva Italian restaurant on Bothwell St is also very good and would recommend that especially when they have Itison deals on.

Might try Amore next time we're up in that area.It's got a huge menu.

Price of the prosecco at £22 brought a tear to my eye as I was buying it for 6 Euros a bottle in Italy.

Might try Amore next time we're up in that area.It's got a huge menu.

Price of the prosecco at £22 brought a tear to my eye as I was buying it for 6 Euros a bottle in Italy.

It's been packed every time we've been, but the service has always been very good. I change my main course order a lot, but always order the 'Haggis Italiano' starter. Toasted Italian bread, salad with Italian dressing, haggis and fried egg. Might not be to everyone's taste! Last time we were in I didn't see my favourite dessert on the menu - affogato. Simply vanilla ice cream with a cold espresso shot poured over to make coffee ice cream. They easily made one, it was superb. Would definitely keep going back.

Amore is the best Italian restaurant in the Merchant City IMO. Great value too.

The Ingram Wind is very nice but a bit pricey.

Was in the Shandon Belles in Anderston last week, was delicious. Can't wait to go back. Underneath the Two Fat Ladies and owned by the same folk, but less expensive and not so centred on seafood.

I do love Trattoria Roma though.