Paisley Town Centre Accidents

whydowebother

I don't know why it's so bad there.Maybe people coming from the security of pedestrianisation and forgetting they are back on normal roads.Paisley pedestrians seem to think they have the right of way for some strange reason.

The walking out in front of vehicles without looking seems to be getting more "popular". When people start doing that regularly , it is only a matter of time 'til some inattentive driver hits them, it is almost as if certain pedestrians believe they are indestructible. .

It's incredible .....Always been a problem with high school "Go on kill us then".......But over the last few years so many 40+ are now making me stop my car....I am never in that position when walking so what's going on?

It's incredible .....Always been a problem with high school "Go on kill us then".......But over the last few years so many 40+ are now making me stop my car....I am never in that position when walking so what's going on?

Yeh there was a time when it tended to be teenagers , but the incidents are no longer age related. .

This.

Dunno about that mate.

Most problems I've seen are people coming from the town hall heading towards the pedestrian high street.

They need to look behind them to see if it's safe to cross but they just cross with traffic turning left at 90 degrees.

Edited by davidg

Dunno about that mate.

Most problems I've seen are people coming from the town hall heading towards the pedestrian high street.

They need to look behind them to see if it's safe to cross but they just cross with traffic turning left at 90 degrees.

I was more meaning about the bit about people thinking they have the right of way. I drive in the town centre every day and I'm constantly having to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting bams who think it's hard of them to step out in front of a moving car. I've even had daft wee guys squaring up to the car.1eye.gif

Doesn't the highway code give the right of way to pedestrians at junctions?

Clearly not. They only have right away if they have started to cross the road before a vehicle turns into the road they are on from the junction.

They don't have the complete right away that they can step out and get their leg trapped in the wheel of a bus which is what happened yesterday.

Some quotes from The Highway Code.

"If you have to step into the road, look both ways first. Always show due care and consideration for others."

"

First find a safe place to cross and where there is space to reach the pavement on the other side. Where there is a crossing nearby, use it. It is safer to cross using a subway, a footbridge, an island, a zebra, pelican, toucan or puffin crossing, or where there is a crossing point controlled by a police officer, a school crossing patrol or a traffic warden. Otherwise choose a place where you can see clearly in all directions. Try to avoid crossing between parked cars (see Rule 14), on a blind bend, or close to the brow of a hill. Move to a space where drivers and riders can see you clearly. Do not cross the road diagonally."

"If traffic is coming, let it pass"

At a junction.

"If you have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way"

Even if it did the crossing discussed isn't a junction.

Edited by davidg

I've saw ( copyright Wee Del ) pedestrians step on the road without looking, while they were concentrating on a mobile phone conversation.

If it's unsafe for drivers to use phone while driving, it must be the same for pedestrians while crossing.

I've saw ( copyright Wee Del ) pedestrians step on the road without looking, while they were concentrating on a mobile phone conversation.

If it's unsafe for drivers to use phone while driving, it must be the same for pedestrians while crossing.

Who were they phoning?

Back on topic, I always give way if a pedestrian has started to cross but if they just step out I accelerate and run the b'strds down.

I think, legally, I'm in the right here.

Who were they phoning?

Back on topic, I always give way if a pedestrian has started to cross but if they just step out I accelerate and run the b'strds down.

Hopefully the RAH, if you were fleeing round the corner. lol.gif

It would seem to me that this is becoming far more common and there is no real distinction as to which group of society is most guilty.

On the odd occasion that I'm in mid cross and a vehicle starts to turn into a road, I'll at least hurry up and acknowledge my thanks to the driver for slowing down.

The one category of jaywalker that brings out the worst in me and puts me into "Death Race 2000" mode, are the small groups of late teens/early twenties pond life, bedecked in all hues of coloured tracksuits, carrying their blue carry out containing plastic bags. They, despite seeing you in plenty of time, string themselves out in a shuffling line of detritus and give a glazed smirk in your direction, almost willing you to swerve in their direction.

Guest somner9

It would seem to me that this is becoming far more common and there is no real distinction as to which group of society is most guilty.

On the odd occasion that I'm in mid cross and a vehicle starts to turn into a road, I'll at least hurry up and acknowledge my thanks to the driver for slowing down.

The one category of jaywalker that brings out the worst in me and puts me into "Death Race 2000" mode, are the small groups of late teens/early twenties pond life, bedecked in all hues of coloured tracksuits, carrying their blue carry out containing plastic bags. They, despite seeing you in plenty of time, string themselves out in a shuffling line of detritus and give a glazed smirk in your direction, almost willing you to swerve in their direction.

Take a tip from this paisley taxi driver below:

Get your strategy right, think Lion on Wildebeast! seperate the lame one from the herd and BANG! the 'dirt' bag is gone!

PedestrianHitByCarBounce.jpg

Edited by somner9

Who were they phoning?

Get Zuric Allan on the case. He'll know for sure. Perhaps you can sue the pedestrians for scratching your paint work

The walking out in front of vehicles without looking seems to be getting more "popular". When people start doing that regularly , it is only a matter of time 'til some inattentive driver hits them, it is almost as if certain pedestrians believe they are indestructible. .

A bit like the fuds out playing on their bikes

Guest somner9

Get Zuric Allan on the case. He'll know for sure. Perhaps you can sue the pedestrians pretenders for scratching your paint work

Aye that Chrissie Hynde has some claws!