National Museum Of Scotland

bluto

I decided to have a wander around that, this afternoon.

Huge and stunningly stoatin! :)

I only dipped intae the Mary Queen o Scots exhibition, then looked at the early people's floor and then intae the geology bit and the place was already closing. Gasp! Brilliant.

Most impressive - and I've still no idea how it was managed - was what I saw before I even got inside the building! As I crossed North Bridge I heard martial music coming from the Royal Mile direction. I got closer and realised there were orangey banners waving and... Was that flute music...?

It had passed by the time I reached the crossroads and big Polis were yelling at people to get back on the pavements as traffic surged forward again. I walked on , turned up Chamber Street (?) towards the museum and once again the head of that street was blocked as what seemed to be a similar procession went along Candlemaker Street(?).

All of Scotland's history plus live street re-enactments of extinct traditions - hasn't Devolution been a wonderful thing! :whistle:

The National Museum is indeed a great place to visit and you could easily spend the day in there . To top it all , you can get in for free which is good and ideal for Shull. .

I also , was subjected to some sort of archaic street band this morning as I sat getting my hair trimmed , in Johnstone , of all places. .

The museum is a fantastic day out and just a short walk from the Bow Bar one if the best Edinburgh has to offer, and as you where subjected to the less than entertaining street buskers you may be interested in this (I doubt it will have any effect but if enough sign who knows)

I know we live in a democracy and every one has rights but demonstrations and parades which may require road closures and excessive policing are routinely refused permission by GCC or at least told they'd need to pay for the privilege.
The West End Festival had to find £15k to close Byres Road for a community parade this year, meanwhile... 'There will be 57 parades through Glasgow next Saturday, as about 4500 members of the Protestant Orange Order and tens of thousands of supporters gather in the city for the organisation's biggest event outside of Northern Ireland.'

For the Orange Walk, no charge.

It is, of course, also hateful horseshit.

Just because they don't sing the words doesn't mean the sentiment isn't there.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/glasgow-city-council-stop-allowing-orange-walks-in-glasgow-city-centre

"Fantastic Day Out" is stretching it more than a bit. We took the kids a couple of years ago and it was alright. It took around 4 hours to get round it all and although some of it was quite interesting much of it is standard museum fayre which hardly brings the history to life in an interesting and engaging way. It is free though.

As for those walking strangely - yesterday morning the good people of Wishaw were subjected to what now seems to be an ever growing and ever more expensive Republican march. I say it every year but I fail to see the significance of Wishaw in terms of the Irish "problem". I must have missed the bit in history that had Michael Collins being born in Lanarkshire :rolleyes:

"Fantastic Day Out" is stretching it more than a bit. We took the kids a couple of years ago and it was alright. It took around 4 hours to get round it all and although some of it was quite interesting much of it is standard museum fayre which hardly brings the history to life in an interesting and engaging way. It is free though.

As for those walking strangely - yesterday morning the good people of Wishaw were subjected to what now seems to be an ever growing and ever more expensive Republican march. I say it every year but I fail to see the significance of Wishaw in terms of the Irish "problem". I must have missed the bit in history that had Michael Collins being born in Lanarkshire rolleyes.gif

Coatbridge he was from

pictish/celtic carvings are an unbelievable treasure that most Scots are totally ignorant of. Undoubtedly the the true stars in the collection! Amazed how they have remained so unappreciated.

I took 13 Furriners to the Meigle collection this afternoon. :)

It would have been a real shock if you'd found something positive to say about it.

snip>

For the Orange Walk, no charge.

It is, of course, also hateful horseshit.

Just because they don't sing the words doesn't mean the sentiment isn't there.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/glasgow-city-council-stop-allowing-orange-walks-in-glasgow-city-centre

I refuse to sign a petition where the proposer has not even bothered to check their spelling or grammer, even if the sentiment is correct.

I did say something positive about it. I said "It was free though". rolleyes.gif

Nope. What you did was damn it with faint praise.

You could have just said it was free and leave it at that but you have this addiction with only giving a positive if it is small and allows you to tie it in with a massive negative comment. People like you do this because you think it somehow frees you from the charge of being only negative.

The museum is a fantastic piece of engineering, architecture and design.

It contains hundreds of thousands of artifacts which are of interest to much of the population.

By making it free access, hundreds of thousands of people have benefitted.

Not you obviously. To you it's a waste of money - money that would be better put into giving rich people more tax breaks and spending on more illegal wars and unusable nuclear weapons but for the rest of us it's a fabulous thing to have.

I'd highly recommend that people go and see it if they can.

Edited by oaksoft

Nope. What you did was damn it with faint praise.

You could have just said it was free and leave it at that but you have this addiction with only giving a positive if it is small and allows you to tie it in with a massive negative comment. People like you do this because you think it somehow frees you from the charge of being only negative.

The museum is a fantastic piece of engineering, architecture and design.

It contains hundreds of thousands of artifacts which are of interest to much of the population.

By making it free access, hundreds of thousands of people have benefitted.

Not you obviously. To you it's a waste of money - money that would be better put into giving rich people more tax breaks and spending on more illegal wars and unusable nuclear weapons but for the rest of us it's a fabulous thing to have.

I'd highly recommend that people go and see it if they can.

I said this

I hardly damned it, or was overly negative. I just wasn't showing the over the top enthusiasm some of posters on this thread were. It's a place where you wander round slowly looking at various cased artefacts reading copious amounts of framed writing. I suppose it's fine if that's your idea bringing history to life. I've seen how it can be done well though at another free National museum - Pearl Harbour. If only someone from Scotland had been there first and saw how to do history properly.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Most impressive - and I've still no idea how it was managed - was what I saw before I even got inside the building! As I crossed North Bridge I heard martial music coming from the Royal Mile direction. I got closer and realised there were orangey banners waving and... Was that flute music...?

It had passed by the time I reached the crossroads and big Polis were yelling at people to get back on the pavements as traffic surged forward again. I walked on , turned up Chamber Street (?) towards the museum and once again the head of that street was blocked as what seemed to be a similar procession went along Candlemaker Street(?).

All of Scotland's history plus live street re-enactments of extinct traditions - hasn't Devolution been a wonderful thing! :whistle:

A great thing about living in England. You never have to put up with any of that shite.

Give Morris dancers some flutes and ten cans of special brew...

Aye. I actually stumbled upon some of THAT shite in York last week.

They were getting in the way of a poor bugger trying to lead folk on genuine Engerlish traditions - a ghost walk ending up in a pub.

Give Morris dancers some flutes and ten cans of special brew...

Well, geez a clue. Are you saying they're orangemen in disguise or what? I've seen them in England the odd time but I thought they were harmless. It's OK for men to dance with other men nowadays or so I'm told, even wearing flowery clothes and shaking their tambourines at one another. Do they get ten cans of special brew each? If it's well chilled it's not too bad. At least that's what I've been told.

Well, geez a clue. Are you saying they're orangemen in disguise or what? I've seen them in England the odd time but I thought they were harmless. It's OK for men to dance with other men nowadays or so I'm told, even wearing flowery clothes and shaking their tambourines at one another. Do they get ten cans of special brew each? If it's well chilled it's not too bad. At least that's what I've been told.

You don't take a telling, do you? :o