Glastonbury

Gordon

How dull are Mumford And Sons?

In contrast last nights headliners The Stones were amazing.

Arctic Monkey's were good on Friday.

Personal fave of mine Elvis Costello got it right. Just rattle out the hits.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Black & White Army mobile app

I quite like a lot of the Stones songs, but I don't get this 'greatest rock n roll band in the world' stuff. When's the last time the Rolling Stones released a good album? The songs they played at Glastonbury - what was the year the most recent song in the set was written?

Jagger is one of the great front men, I like them, but I don't understand the hyperbole surrounding them. Just me, probably. Springsteen in contrast recently released maybe his best album ever - 'Wrecking Ball'.

Ach, subjective matter as always, eh?

The Stones last great album was Exile in '72 but there has been loads of great tracks since including last year's Doom And Gloom.

Born To Run is possibly my favourite album but I'm not much of a Springsteen fan these days.

Personally thought Jagger was shocking during the gig. He never could sing and he has just got worse. out of tune and struggled to sing any of the songs IHO. Nothing against the Stones classic songs from a musical perspective but Mick should join Macca, Elton and Cliff and retire to spend their millions. It is only Egos that keep them going.

How dull are Mumford And Sons?.....VERY... one hit wonders and not a patch on

Albertos Y Los Trios Paranoias

In contrast last nights headliners The Stones were amazing.

Arctic Monkey's were good on Friday.

Personal fave of mine Elvis Costello got it right. Just rattle out the hits.

Edited by Vambo57

Personally thought Jagger was shocking during the gig. He never could sing and he has just got worse. out of tune and struggled to sing any of the songs IHO. Nothing against the Stones classic songs from a musical perspective but Mick should join Macca, Elton and Cliff and retire to spend their millions. It is only Egos that keep them going.

I have to agree.

It was all a bit embarrassing, to be honest. As my missus said (albeit I think she was giving him more credit that he was due), he has become a bit of a charicature of himself, and it was all so very tedious and predictable. What makes it worse is that they still clearly take themselves way too seriously.

All the extended guitar solos and general jerking off posturing were over-indulgent twaddle also. They wrote some great songs, but the expiry date has long passed them by, and they ought to have chucked it years ago.

Edited by Drew

Yep this was my take on it too. I had actually bought into the hype about the set, made sure I watched it live, and within minutes I realised just how disappointingly shit it was. When you contract the Stones performance to the sets by Of Monsters and Men, Nile Rodgers and Chic, Portishead, and Ben Howard they just weren't in the same league as their more up to date contemporaries. I also thought that Laura Mvulas rendition of the Bob Marley classic One Love was superb. I haven't watched Elvis Costello or Mumford and Sons yet but I thought Arctic Monkeys and Primal Scream were shit too - and although it wasn't much of a surprise John Lydon and PiL were shit too.

I quite like a lot of the Stones songs, but I don't get this 'greatest rock n roll band in the world' stuff. When's the last time the Rolling Stones released a good album? The songs they played at Glastonbury - what was the year the most recent song in the set was written?

Jagger is one of the great front men, I like them, but I don't understand the hyperbole surrounding them. Just me, probably. Springsteen in contrast recently released maybe his best album ever - 'Wrecking Ball'.

For me it would be Steel Wheels which I think is an 80’s album a track on that called ‘Continental Drift’ is the greatest song the Stones have written ( for me )it was recorded using Moroccan traditional musicians plus the stones BBC did a full one hour long documentary on that one song ,Check it out on You Tube, it's a master peace. Like a lot of their late 60’s and 70’S stuff and have around half a dozen albums. To me they are a great pub rock & roll band. If I had seen my grandpa look like Jagger at that age 69 years and jumping around the way he dose on stage I would think WOW what a cool dude

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

For me it would be Steel Wheels which I think is an 80s album a track on that called Continental Drift is the greatest song the Stones have written ( for me )it was recorded using Moroccan traditional musicians plus the stones BBC did a full one hour long documentary on that one song ,Check it out on You Tube, it's a master peace. Like a lot of their late 60s and 70S stuff and have around half a dozen albums. To me they are a great pub rock & roll band. If I had seen my grandpa look like Jagger at that age 69 years and jumping around the way he dose on stage I would think WOW what a cool dude

Agree - when I'm Jagger's age I want to be fit and in my head I'll always be 28 - 30. I never was and never will be as thin as him though!

Fair play to the Stones for still putting on a show at their age. Springsteen is 63, he's simply amazing. I saw Rush, Costello, and Springsteen live over a three week period - all utterly brilliant, with a combined age of three million. Also saw the Quo reunion tour - superb. Combined age four million!

Best performance of the weekend was The xx, closely followed by Arctic Monkeys. The Stones looked like someone had dug them up...

I thought auld Keef and Ronnie were going to kneel over.

Charlie Watts looks like the auld guy out the Wonga adverts but still thumps out the tunes.

Quite liked Vampire Weekend

Just catching up with the recording of the last Glastonbury show. Is it just me, or do all Mumford & Sons songs sound the same? The only difference being some are slow paced, and some are medium paced, while the majority start slow paced, but then have a wee fast paced bit at the end to allow a bit of audience jumping up and down. Pace aside, it's one song. Played at different speeds to fool us into thinking it's two songs.

Just catching up with the recording of the last Glastonbury show. Is it just me, or do all Mumford & Sons songs sound the same? The only difference being some are slow paced, and some are medium paced, while the majority start slow paced, but then have a wee fast paced bit at the end to allow a bit of audience jumping up and down. Pace aside, it's one song. Played at different speeds to fool us into thinking it's two songs.

Best thing I seen was Mum Ford & Sons.......Betty's original Clinic.