St Mirren Squad 2013-14

A striker and a left back needed IMO.

Absolutely.

DL's preferred 4-2-3-1 relies heavily on Thommo. And, as per the Cup Final, if you need to switch to something more in line with a 4-4-2 (when Isma went central and Gowser dropped deeper) then you need that second striker as an option (Usually from the bench, given that we don't have an ISMA now.)

The fact is, as much as we all loved Isma, he didn't fit our system - he was never a wide left player. He was kind of crowbarred in to offer some pace and width.

As SM74 says, we need a back-up striker for Thommo who's a shitload better than Parkin. I have doubts that Doris is the one, in that respect, so if Doris comes in, I'd hope for another, bigger, striker, too.

1st of July now and players contract with clubs have now expired so we should see some activity.

Current squad listed below, some of the positions are debatable but I've listed as per the OS. I'll update this post as we go and it will let us see how our squad is shaping up.

Goal Keepers

David Cornell New signing

Chris Dilo New signing

Defenders

David Van Zanten

Darren McGregor

Lee Mair Told he can go

Marc McAusland

Jason Naismith

David Barron

Mo Yaqub Not listed on OS

Midfielders

Gary Harkins

Jim Goodwin

Jon Robertson

Kenny McLean

Gary Teale

Sean Kelly

John McGinn

Kealan Dillon New signing

Forwards

Steven Thompson

Paul McGowan

Thomas Reilly

Lewis Guy Off to Carlisle

Anton Brady Not Listed on OS

Priorities obviously a goal keeper, striker and a left back, should be an interesting week or so.

Jack Smith?

• 3 weeks later...

1st of July now and players contract with clubs have now expired so we should see some activity.

Current squad listed below, some of the positions are debatable but I've listed as per the OS. I'll update this post as we go and it will let us see how our squad is shaping up.

Goal Keepers

David Cornell New signing

Chris Dilo New signing

Defenders

David Van Zanten

Darren McGregor

Lee Mair Told he can go

Marc McAusland

Jason Naismith

David Barron

Sean Kelly

Mo Yaqub

Midfielders

Gary Harkins

Jim Goodwin

Jon Robertson

Kenny McLean Injured for 6 weeks (18/7/13)

Gary Teale

John McGinn

Kealan Dillon New signing

Forwards

Steven Thompson

Paul McGowan

Thomas Reilly

Anton Brady

Priorities obviously a goal keeper, striker and a left back, should be an interesting week or so.

Not much requirement to update this list, let's hope there's some names to add to add before the week's out.

There was a time when clubs built their team around a strong number 1, no. 5 and no. 9. Build down the middle and create the artistry around a core of the team.

Last year we had a reasonable no. 1 - he made a few errors, but he also made a lot of saves that many would have conceded to become goals against - in overall terms a good goalie.

We had a great front line leader in ST, - glad he stayed fit and yes he is 30 something, but as long as he manages to stay fit he is a great asset as a target man - also an enthusiast for the side and must be great around the dressing room. Having a back up is probably worth it as the odds are against him having another year without a difficult injury.

HOWEVER - I said it time and time again last season we lack a commanding traditional Centre Half. We have a player in McAusland who blows a bit hot and cold, but in overall terms not the commanding player we need.

Goodwin is a stand in and also attracts the attention of the officials far too much.

McGregor - as much as we want him to be that CH, is completely untested at this level over a prolonged period.

As for the alternatives, Mair (who has been told he could go) is ok but prone to mistakes and Barron who had a bit of an in and out season last year, some good games and some howlers.

If I could have an early Christmas present it would be the managerial department getting their act together and realising that the goals against column last year was as much to do about indecisiveness and uncertainty in the middle that any other reason and they actively go out and find a good Central Defender.

If they could do that, I would have some optimism about the coming season, without that CH, - I hae ma doubts! cloud9.gif

Don't really get why we were trialling the midfielder from Newcastle as it's the one area we have a lot of option but if we bring him in on loan and Newcastle are still paying most of his wages then why not. A striker is obviously needed as Thommo and Reilly are pretty much all we have. Don’t think Vanzy is up to scratch to be our first choice right back either but it seems unlikely we will bring in a right back unless it is on loan.

Don't really get why we were trialling the midfielder from Newcastle as it's the one area we have a lot of option but if we bring him in on loan and Newcastle are still paying most of his wages then why not. A striker is obviously needed as Thommo and Reilly are pretty much all we have. Don’t think Vanzy is up to scratch to be our first choice right back either but it seems unlikely we will bring in a right back unless it is on loan.

We have one holding midfielder and he's going to play centre half so it could be a decent signing.

Roberston and Goodwin both play holding midfield, Mcginn could play there if needed and we also have 3 other central midfielders.

Goodwin's too slow for midfield, Robertson hasn't look good enough since he signed & McGinn is too good on the ball to be wasted in a defensive midfield position.

Goodwin's too slow for midfield, Robertson hasn't look good enough since he signed & McGinn is too good on the ball to be wasted in a defensive midfield position.

I agree but DL must rate Roberston or he would have let him go and with Mcgregor fit again it looks like Goodwin might end up back in midfield. Hopefully not since he played in defence against stockport and we kept a clean sheet.

Edited by irvine_buddie

I agree but DL must rate Roberston or he would have let him go and with Mcgregor fit again it looks like Goodwin might end up back in midfield. Hopefully not since he played in defence against stockport and we kept a clean sheet.

But if it had been a meaningful game I think he would've walked for the haulback.

I get the feeling Robertson is on cheap wages. He'll get another chance this year, but I'm sure if it doesn't work out again, he''ll be gone next summer. It's a fairly low risk decision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...