Organ Donation

faraway saint

I genuinely wasn't alluding to organs being used for other purposes although now that you mention it...

I have had conversations with transplant coordinators a few years ago, not bereavement related, and know how difficult their job can be with regards trying to convince grieving relatives to donate healthy organs.

Your assuming that the majority would be happy to take a donated organ and assuming that if they haven't opted out then they would want to donate

I have carried a donor card previously and have now have signed up through my driving license however I find it wrong that a government proposes to intrude so much even after you are dead.

The current system is fine - just needs to attract more donors.

While I think most people can see this is a very personal subject I'm not quite sure why the highlighted area causes you some concern?

I think the new opt-out is very clear that you have the option to make the decision that you don't wish to be part of this scheme, which is everybody's prerogative, and I'd doubt that any person in need of an organ wouldn't be happy to receive an organ.

I'm sure there would be cases arise that would see some negative publicity, lapped up by the tabloids, but, it seems to me the benefits heavily outweigh the possible negatives.

I genuinely wasn't alluding to organs being used for other purposes although now that you mention it...

I have had conversations with transplant coordinators a few years ago, not bereavement related, and know how difficult their job can be with regards trying to convince grieving relatives to donate healthy organs.

Your assuming that the majority would be happy to take a donated organ and assuming that if they haven't opted out then they would want to donate

I have carried a donor card previously and have now have signed up through my driving license however I find it wrong that a government proposes to intrude so much even after you are dead.

The current system isn't adequate though and despite numerous public attempts to attract potential donors, the ratio of organs available to organs needed continues to be skewed in the wrong direction as a result. This situation will only get worse as the operations become more successful and expertise in the area increases. Therefore as apathy is a major issue, this change forces people to decide, therefore rather than leaving already distraught families with an awful decision to make the issue is addressed in advance.

I personally wouldn't see it as government intrusion, but as a means to an end seeing as government policy changes are the only way to achieve it.

Ethically it is a big shift in decision making but for the greater good of society as a whole I think it's a good decision. It would not be required if enough people were donors, but seems to be a sensible way to get people to think about an issue, for a situation which in all honesty none of us wants to be in.

Edited by Bart Simpson

Not sure how positive it is?

Positive as in taking organs from the dead without their (prior) consent or the consent of the next of kin? Hasn't there been a number of scandals regarding this, especially with children, in recent years?

No. That was something completely different. In those cases it was human remains that for some reason (which we are not sure of yet) were retained.

Organ donation to save people's lives is completely different.

On another note, depressing to see that, religious people are opposing this.

Entirely predictable though.

2 points to make here. Firstly the bit I've bolded in your post doesn't make sense. Anyone who wanted to opt out could easily do so.

Secondly, if you think the current system is fine then you're about the only one who does.

People are dying everyday and their organs are being wasted resulting in more unneccessary deaths.

How this can be considered "fine" is frankly beyond me.

Guest TPAFKATS

While I think most people can see this is a very personal subject I'm not quite sure why the highlighted area causes you some concern?

I think the new opt-out is very clear that you have the option to make the decision that you don't wish to be part of this scheme, which is everybody's prerogative, and I'd doubt that any person in need of an organ wouldn't be happy to receive an organ.

I'm sure there would be cases arise that would see some negative publicity, lapped up by the tabloids, but, it seems to me the benefits heavily outweigh the possible negatives.

The opt-out will be less clear than the current opt in wink.png

No. That was something completely different. In those cases it was human remains that for some reason (which we are not sure of yet) were retained.

Organ donation to save people's lives is completely different.

On another note, depressing to see that, religious people are opposing this.

Entirely predictable though.

Organs being taken from the deceased without consent ? Its hardly "completely different"

Opposing something on religious grounds may well be predictable but entirely understandable if its someone beliefs.

2 points to make here. Firstly the bit I've bolded in your post doesn't make sense. Anyone who wanted to opt out could easily do so.

Secondly, if you think the current system is fine then you're about the only one who does.

People are dying everyday and their organs are being wasted resulting in more unneccessary deaths.

How this can be considered "fine" is frankly beyond me.

Yes anyone could in theory opt out, however as seems to be agreed the current system suffers from an apathy to opt in. Why should reversing from opting out to opting in make any difference in the apathy?

The current system does work, there is however a problem of demand being greater than supply. I'm not convinced that this is the most ethical way to increase supply.

• 7 years later...

I effectively opted in

Permission for Heart/Lungs/Kidney/Liver and something else can’t mind.

I always thought, na h don’t want anything removed but in recent times changed my mind.

They sent a wee card ‘I donate’ type thing with unique QR code on it , so hopefully somebody rifles my pockets when the time comes. [emoji3]

I effectively opted in

Permission for Heart/Lungs/Kidney/Liver and something else can’t mind.

I always thought, na h don’t want anything removed but in recent times changed my mind.

They sent a wee card ‘I donate’ type thing with unique QR code on it , so hopefully somebody rifles my pockets when the time comes. [emoji3]

Was that the missing organ? 🤭

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 8:46 PM, faraway saint said:

Scotland, not before time, changing to the "opt out" system.

26th March, hopefully see a rise in donations and lives improved/saved. 

Home | Organ Donation Scotland

Today's the day, I await to hear plenty of stories about peoples lives being improved and saved. :thumbs2