Danny Says No More Signings

Further to my post above that reprises the 'charge-card' idea, I can say here and now that if there was an option to have such a card just now, I'd happily pay say £110 or thereabouts to load the first half dozen matches onto it. Save me queuing on matchdays, and would give me a small discount (about £1.50 per match), while the club would benefit from some up-front cash. I wouldn't have a specific seat, but would take my place just as I would on matchdays if I pay at the gate. Ideally, there would be some flexibility as to which stand the card could be used for, though I appreciate this complicates matters a bit.

TBH, this doesn't seem too challenging an idea.

It's quite a simple thing to do from a software perspective but I imagine it would cost the club thousands of pounds to do it with no guarantee of it making any difference to sales.

It's quite a simple thing to do from a software perspective but I imagine it would cost the club thousands of pounds to do it with no guarantee of it making any difference to sales.

The daft thing is, there are loads of fans who could benefit the club if the club were to dip into the talent pool so to speak, there will be guys who could do this for the love of the club I know I have spoke to div before about both of us offering services to the club and neither being taken up despite the prospect of saving thousands for the club each year in our respective fields.

I suspect we've had this discussion before, so won't go over old ground.

The daft thing is, there are loads of fans who could benefit the club if the club were to dip into the talent pool so to speak, there will be guys who could do this for the love of the club I know I have spoke to div before about both of us offering services to the club and neither being taken up despite the prospect of saving thousands for the club each year in our respective fields.

I don't doubt you are right about this but there would also have to be absolute trust as well.

It's one thing having someone like pozbaird designing a kit and quite another to allow someone you don't know to setup a website which handles financial transactions.

I'm not saying this would be a problem in the specific case you've mentioned but it would need to be a consideration.

I don't doubt you are right about this but there would also have to be absolute trust as well.

It's one thing having someone like pozbaird designing a kit and quite another to allow someone you don't know to setup a website which handles financial transactions.

I'm not saying this would be a problem in the specific case you've mentioned but it would need to be a consideration.

Understandable - but these guys perhaps are already well know to the club through corporate or other means.

Where do you get the thousands from, Oaky? I realise that there would be some kind of administrative cost but if we're really talking thousands plural it's no bloody wonder clubs run out of money regularly. And some of us think it's all down to overpaid players. I'm not trying to argue about this because I simply don't know. But thousands?

I know it's very early, but there is no doubt Dannys had a poor pre season up to this point, certainly when you compare us with our potential rivals.

Ross County, Inverness and St Johnstone have all made several first team signings, we've signed 1 player with SPL experience. We are already playing catch up.

We only have 1 striker and we are without a left back or experienced goalkeeper. Here's hoping Danny and the football club have a much better month between now and the start of the season than they've had between the start of June and now.

I know it's very early, but there is no doubt Dannys had a poor pre season up to this point, certainly when you compare us with our potential rivals.

Ross County, Inverness and St Johnstone have all made several first team signings, we've signed 1 player with SPL experience. We are already playing catch up.

We only have 1 striker and we are without a left back or experienced goalkeeper. Here's hoping Danny and the football club have a much better month between now and the start of the season than they've had between the start of June and now.

This is the very reason that i said Hearts will be above us come the end of the season by about 5 points unless something dramatic happens in the transfer market for us its going to be a long hard season.HOPE TO HELL IM WRONG.

I will be quite happy if Danny returns from the Spanish pre season trip ,and takes his time in chosing the right players to fill the remaining gaps in the squad. Quality striker and a good left back will no doubt be top of his list, we all need to chill and see what happens in the next few weeks.

Yes, it's still pre season and there's still quite a while to go before anything happens.

To be making statements at this stage is rather presumptuous.

I like to consider myself particularly non-prone to knicker wetting. I have a positive outlook on life, and the Saints, and the reasons my post count on here isn't much higher are 1) because I don't get to enough games and 2) because I hate a lot of the negative slabber that is spouted on here. Really gets me down, TBH.

However, I have to admit to being a teensy bit concerned at the lack of a second striker and left back. Principally because, as good as Reilly may well be, he's not a one-man-up-front player. He can't be expected to lead the line in Danny's preferred 4-2-3-1. So if Thommo is injured, on current squad levels, we're f**ked.

Also, let's say we start the season with Yaqub at LB. He could be an excellent SPL-standard LB, I've never seen him play, and he may take to first-team action like a duck to water. I hope he does. But what happens when he starts to suffer from burnout because of his age? Or if he has a couple of bad games and his confidence goes?

Assuming no injuries, my current first team would look like this:

-----------------Cornell--------------

Vanzy---Cheesy--McGregor---Yaqub

----------Goodwin--McGinn-------------

--Teale------McGowan------Harkins

----------------Thommo----------------------

I doubt anyone would argue that's a very good, top-six capable side, but christ, I just wish at the very least wish we'd kept Carey.

In before knicker-wetting pish, etc...

Maybe we're still actively pursuing the left back that, if the deal comes off, will be of a quality that pleases us.

Same old question though. What's the plan if big Thommo gets injured, or even gets a knock and has to come off during a game? Come to that, what's the plan if Reilly gets injured, or even gets a knock and has to come off during a game?

As things stand, if there are no signings, we will go into the season praying Thompson and Reilly can play the entire 90 mins of every game. We will be praying that Darren McGregor holds up and has no further setbacks, and we will be praying that Div Barron can slot in at left back for the entire season.

No more signings? There has to be at least two.

Edit to add: undergarments currently prone to a touch of dampness... due to unexpectedly high temperatures and humidity, not due to football related widespread panic. Wet knickers... due to unexpectedly low numbers of new signings and football related widespread panic as yet unsighted.

Wet Knicker Watch, hosted live from Paisley by Kate Humble and Bill Oddie... Hopefully not coming to a TV screen near you this summer.

Edited by pozbaird

In terms of striking options, we seem to be the same boat as others

Motherwell - Sutton, McHugh

ICT - McKay, Sutherland

Ross Cnty - Glen, Wolfharth

Dundee Utd - Goodwillie, Graham

Hibs - Caldwell, Handling

Killie - Heffernan, McKenzie

Hearts - Stevenson, Carrick

Nearly every team, at this stage only has one experienced player and one younger player. St Johnstone and Aberdeen being the exceptions and even Hibs who only have 2 young guys.

In terms of striking options, we seem to be the same boat as others

Motherwell - Sutton, McHugh

ICT - McKay, Sutherland

Ross Cnty - Glen, Wolfharth

Dundee Utd - Goodwillie, Graham

Hibs - Caldwell, Handling

Killie - Heffernan, McKenzie

Hearts - Stevenson, Carrick

Nearly every team, at this stage only has one experienced player and one younger player. St Johnstone and Aberdeen being the exceptions and even Hibs who only have 2 young guys.

Yup. Hence my pantaloons remaining starched and crisply dry.... at this stage! 1eye.gif

How can a manager have a "poor pre-season" ?

We haven't even kicked a single ball, but not that it really matters what happens in the pre-season matches themselves.

The season is still 3 weeks away, we play one competitive match and then have another two weeks after that before our next.

The transfer window doesn't close for another 6 weeks.

Why not wait and judge the team and the manager once they have a few competitive games under their belt and once the full transfer window has run it's course ?

ICT have signed a lorry load of players, none of whom have SPL experience and none of whom anyone up here has ever heard of. They might be dynamite, they might be absolutely shite. Who really knows until the action gets underway ?

ICT have signed a lorry load of players, none of whom have SPL experience and none of whom anyone up here has ever heard of. They might be dynamite, they might be absolutely shite. Who really knows until the action gets underway ?

They did it in recent seasons too - and Butcher knitted them into a good team. My money is on him doing it again - recent past experience says he will.

You're right though, we cannot judge Danny until the season pans out. However, to give himself a better chance of doing well enough to be judged positively, he needs a couple more tools in his box.

Edited by pozbaird

Danny has had 3 seasons in charge now and last season was our worst in the spl since we came back up. Only rangers going bust saved us from relegation. The league cup win was great... But it was a fluke and masks over the fact that Lennon doesn't really know what he is doing.

The fact is that this per season is irrelevant. Steven Thompson will be manager before the season is out, attempting to keep us up. It's only then that we start to look forward.

Edited by Isabella Duke

Danny has had 3 seasons in charge now and last season was our worst in the spl since we came back up. Only rangers going bust saved us from relegation. The league cup win was great... But it was a fluke and masks over the fact that Lennon doesn't really know what he is doing.

The fact is that this per season is irrelevant. Steven Thompson will be manager before the season is out, attempting to keep us up. It's only then that we start to look forward.

I've read some shite in my time.... but.

You think last season was worse than DLs first season?

Beating Aberdeen Celtic and Hearts all away from home was a fluke?

Wager that Thommo will not be our manager this or next season?

Edited by Master Yoda