Danny Says No More Signings

Big Yards, noone shot you down mate. I think there needs to be a bit more realism here. Firstly, to claim the BOD are not ambitious is way off the mark. We have a new ground, training facilities, a manageable bank balance and a club that has managed to remain within the SPL on a very small/limited budget. We brought in class players in Thommo, McGowan and Teale. We won the League Cup last season too. What is ambition for a small club like St Mirren? For me, in this day and age it is to remain in the top league and to have a decent cup run. If we manage to get into the top 6 then that is a bonus to me. European football is not the holy grail any more and we are not equipped to play against the more experienced sides in Europe and are unlikely to survive more than 1 round. That is simply realism and not a negative approach.

The decision to go with youth is something Scottish football is applying and not just St Mirren and has nothing at all to do with Hearts situation. Last season, Killie, Dundee Utd and Hearts introduced a lot of young players mainly because they cannot afford to bring in the experience without going further into debt. On the issue of willingness, if the club had the finances to buy and sustain paying out more for players and wages then they would probably do that but we are no different from most other clubs and the way forward is, like it has always been for our team, to bring in our own homegrown talent. The game is skint mate and would you like us to spend money we do not have and become immersed in debt or would you like us to live within our means and plan a future that relies mainly on bringing on young talent with the addition of experienced players?

Totally agree. The German finalists in the European cup are to be congratulated on doing just that, and Wotte has said the same because we will be 10 years playing catch-up with the rest of Europe. Anyway, does no youngster play fr the jersey nowadays, or is it only OF boys that try to do it? They only get a chance to do that when there are no Foreigners available at a price to suit

Remember that day we signed Adam and Sutton? thumbup2.gif

The D1 title was as good as ours from that point. Of course, transfer deadline day is a touch too late to add 500 season ticket holders whistling.gif

Yeah but when we signed them we already had enough qualify players to make up a starting 11 and then added to it with Adam and Sutton putting us in a strong position. If we sign 2 good players now we will still have a wafer thin squad which can't afford any injuries!

I'm all for bringing through youngsters if they're good enough but not flooding the team with them. We've shown in the last few years we are willing to bring through some good young players like McGinn and McLean but you need to stagger it not just decide one day because hearts are 15 points behind that 3/4 of a team of youth will be good enough!

Even if we did go with youngsters ie Reilly and Kelly, it's hardly "flooding" the team with youngsters. The amount of people with unrealistic expectations and panicking when there's still weeks to go to the start of the season is unreal. I have no doubt there will be signings but I'm not going to have a meltdown and blame everyone from Danny to the BOD when a ball hasn't even been kicked yet!

Barron couldn't get into lennons team last year and why is that? He can't pass a ball ten feet that's how. He is a hustler. And a harrier no finesse at all. He should have been punted . All other teams out with hearts and Patrick look pretty strong but us we have one striker? Enough said

I may be a "loser" (oh god the shame!) but at least I can count that we have more than one striker at SMP.

The concern with a lack of a plan B is a curious one. I thought our plan B was to hit it long to Thompson, and last season to Parkin as well? Is this what we want when thinking of a plan B? There's also the fact that our formation changed to a 4-2-3-1 in the last few months of the season - was this not a different plan? When we went three at the back, was this not another different approach by the manager?

What are we looking for in terms of a plan B? Personally I'd much rather we went with plan A, and got that one right. Plan A involves us passing the ball around, keeping possession, and trying to pass through teams - this seems like a plan worth sticking with.

Be interesting to see what others would be happy with as a plan B.

I think you're missing the point in terms of the Plan B argument, to some extent.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I refer to a Plan B, I'm not thinking of a specific tactical approach or formation, more any alternative option that can be employed, even during a match if required. For me, Danny's philosophy of passing the ball and keeping possession etc. became problematic when other coaches, and, in turn, their players, established a clear understanding of how we played, and how to frustrate and counter this.

I'm all for watching the team playing good passing football, but there were times when a Carey cross from a deep position could have been deployed to very good effect, but it seemed that the manager was determined to stick with his passing philosophy and try to play the ball into the 6 yard box (or Teale trying to beat 3 defenders when a ball inside to an overlapping midfielder could have worked). Similarly, there were times when the defence shouldn't have been trying to play the ball out. Sometimes it is necessary to simply put the laces through it. Too often we allowed our opponents time to re-group when it would be better to make an incisive early pass. This might even go some way towards explaining why Guy was caught offside so often. The other issue is that we fanny about on the ball and allow the opposition to nick it from us in dangerous areas.

It seems to me that the trick is knowing when to mix things up....when to wrong-foot your opponents. We became way too easy to read at times.

ETA: can I introduce a caveat in terms of the above in that I'm happy to acknowledge that I'm a clueless buffoon who knows pretty much hee haw about the game, and how it should be played. I'm merely indulging myself on an internet chat forum.

Oh, and I'm still chilled about the season ahead. We'll be fine.

Edited by Drew

That post will be popular among the fans that don't like the current Management Team...

No doubt, but I'm calling it as I see it.

To be fair to Danny, he knows fine that Saints underachieved last season in the SPL. Its now down to him to sort it out for next term.

That said, many of the players have to reflect on their contributions also - but, as it happens, most of them are already away.

The Pampers Posse are doing my head in.

Several weeks to go before the start of the season.

Hearts at -15 points.

Relegation financial cliff has gone.

Club saw crowd numbers drop last season too so no wonder they are not spending.

Unrealistic numpty fans? Check.

Numpty fans who find it easy to spend other people's money? Check.

Numpty fans who scream for youth to get a chance and then scream because.......we're going with youth? Check.

Meaningless cliches being thrown about like "disgrace", "lack of ambition", "embarassing"? Check.

HOUSE! Join us next transfer window for the latest game of Bullshit Bingo folks.

In the meantime I'm off to another thread where people don't suck all the life and energy out of me.

I used to think that you were a complete tool but now I'm not so sure. That post was either the most deliberately impressive use of irony or you are in fact just tool.

I was going I highlight the bits in question but.......well, you can work it out.

Between them, Guy & Parking scored 9 goals in 35 starts for St. Mirren.

They also both played a part in a few other goals that we scored.

For example, look at Parkin's contribution in the League Cup win over Aberdeen at Pittodrie. He scored the first and his strength create the space for Kenny McLean to run through and score the second.

I remember a game up at Tannadice where Lewis Guy's tireless running saw a Dundee United clearance hit off him and create a goal.

I actually think that is not a bad return from 2 players who were started irregularly, particularly a side struggling at the wrong end of the league and enduring its worst season in the league since promotion.

For example, look at Parkin's contribution in the League Cup win over Aberdeen at Pittodrie. He scored the first and his strength create the space for Kenny McLean to run through and score the second.

I remember a game up at Tannadice where Lewis Guy's tireless running saw a Dundee United clearance hit off him and create a goal.

I actually think that is not a bad return from 2 players who were started irregularly, particularly a side struggling at the wrong end of the league and enduring its worst season in the league since promotion.

And your point is, Andy?

Whilst that is true, they gave us options and that Guy did do a job for us initially and big Sam did make a nuisance of himself up front at times. .

Do we just forget it and have one striker at the club??

Correct, but it's a goal scorer we need.

It's the same story.....Sign late to avoid wages.....No problems for a club our size.

The good ones go quickly. We signed Thompson, Teale, Tess, Hasselbaink, Gowser (permanently) in early June.

I really hope DL has something up his sleeve, if not, we could end up with signings similar to 2010-11 (Cregg, Lynch, McCluskey, Hegarty, McQuade and so on).

The good ones go quickly. We signed Thompson, Teale, Tess, Hasselbaink, Gowser (permanently) in early June.

I really hope DL has something up his sleeve, if not, we could end up with signings similar to 2010-11 (Cregg, Lynch, McCluskey, Hegarty, McQuade and so on).

Good point!.....Thompson /Teale were a godsend .....Saints fan and Saints connection.....Gowser already there,,,,Hasselbaink was from Hamilton (not much interest).....Great loan use from us last season....Lets hope that can continue.

Yep I'd agree. I predicted that after last season we'd cost cut and go back to signing the lesser quality of player that we had 2 years ago. So far there's been nothing to suggest that this won't be the case

Yep I'd agree. I predicted that after last season we'd cost cut and go back to signing the lesser quality of player that we had 2 years ago. So far there's been nothing to suggest that this won't be the case

Except the players we have signed are not "the lesser quality of player we had 2 years ago," and we have not been linked with any one like that. We will make further signings, but if they are of the same quality as Harkings and McGowan then I'll be very happy

I think you're missing the point in terms of the Plan B argument, to some extent.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I refer to a Plan B, I'm not thinking of a specific tactical approach or formation, more any alternative option that can be employed, even during a match if required. For me, Danny's philosophy of passing the ball and keeping possession etc. became problematic when other coaches, and, in turn, their players, established a clear understanding of how we played, and how to frustrate and counter this.

I'm all for watching the team playing good passing football, but there were times when a Carey cross from a deep position could have been deployed to very good effect, but it seemed that the manager was determined to stick with his passing philosophy and try to play the ball into the 6 yard box (or Teale trying to beat 3 defenders when a ball inside to an overlapping midfielder could have worked). Similarly, there were times when the defence shouldn't have been trying to play the ball out. Sometimes it is necessary to simply put the laces through it. Too often we allowed our opponents time to re-group when it would be better to make an incisive early pass. This might even go some way towards explaining why Guy was caught offside so often. The other issue is that we fanny about on the ball and allow the opposition to nick it from us in dangerous areas.

It seems to me that the trick is knowing when to mix things up....when to wrong-foot your opponents. We became way too easy to read at times.

ETA: can I introduce a caveat in terms of the above in that I'm happy to acknowledge that I'm a clueless buffoon who knows pretty much hee haw about the game, and how it should be played. I'm merely indulging myself on an internet chat forum.

Oh, and I'm still chilled about the season ahead. We'll be fine.

Good post. Regarding knowing when to play it out from defence and when not to, I think we learned a lesson early on last season. Can't remember the exact game, but we had the ball at our own goal line, near the corner flag on the right hand side, and tried to play it out with some cute passing. We nearly achieved it, but Cheesy gave it away and we conceded. I can't remember us being caught the same way again last season, although your point still stands.

Knowing when to put in a deep cross, or indeed play it long, is another very good point. I'd say we resorted to this a little too easily last season, and it was at this point during several matches that I sensed we had lost the match.

With Thommo up front, we always have an out ball in terms of going more direct, with pacy players supporting. As stated, I just felt we went down that avenue a little too hastily at times last season. If we're not getting results with out passing game, the last thing I want to see us doing is going the opposite way and punting it. I'd rather we continued to keep the ball and stayed patient. If it's clear soemthing different is needed, then a slight tinkering with the formation can help to open up the opposing team.

In my opinion, keeping the ball is crucial, and having players like McGowan, Harkins and Teale playing in attacking positions, we should have more opportunity this season to open up defences. Guys like McLean and McGinn also possess the ability to help in these instances.

The reason we were easy to read last season, in my opinion, is that we gave up our passing game too readily. We didn't have the patience to keep it going that bit longer. With practice, our passing game should only get better and more comfortable, especially for the young players coming into the squad/team. This doesn't apply to Barron, unfortunately.

I'm excited at the prospect of the new season, and at the prospect of another couple of new players coming in.

I wouldn't rely on your predictions for the lottery numbers then.......................

Our two first team signings so far have the potential to be very good acquisitions IMO. Harkins will be a standout and could be the creative spark we were missing last year. Cornell seems to be very highly rated and he will be no worse that Samson.

Apart from that we've signed two U-20 squad players, both of whom look to have a decent pedigree.

Other than that we've re-signed, Thommo, Teale and McGowan, who any team bar the green bigots, would have as first team regulars.

So, so far, your "prediction" that we'd be signing a lesser quality of player is totally unproven.

Also Guy and Parkin were signed very early on in the transfer window last season and neither were really that good. Maybe the manager has learned from that and is waiting to take the pick of better players that will inevitably be available within the next month and a half.

So why not stop wasting your energy whining and go out and do something positive in the lovely summer weather. I'm sure you'll have a whole season ahead of you to whine to your hearts content.

This is clearly a wind up. How can a team that won the League Cup and finished in a similar position where they have finished before (with more points) be considered as us enduring our worse season since promotion? Sometimes I despair.