Danny Says No More Signings

The good ones go quickly. We signed Thompson, Teale, Tess, Hasselbaink, Gowser (permanently) in early June.

I really hope DL has something up his sleeve, if not, we could end up with signings similar to 2010-11 (Cregg, Lynch, McCluskey, Hegarty, McQuade and so on).

No we won't. Either Danny brings in the quality needed or we go with our youth players. There is no point in bringing in players no better than whatg we have. I agree we do need experience at left back and perhaps another front man but other than that we live within our means.

Yep I'd agree. I predicted that after last season we'd cost cut and go back to signing the lesser quality of player that we had 2 years ago. So far there's been nothing to suggest that this won't be the case

And there is nothing to suggest that this will be the case. Wait and see what happens first. There has been little transfer activity around Scotland at the moment and there is a reason for that - no money and clubs reducing squad size. Bringing in any player needs to be something that is thought through and not simply a rush job because the fans demand it particularly when money is so tight.

This is clearly a wind up. How can a team that won the League Cup and finished in a similar position where they have finished before (with more points) be considered as us enduring our worse season since promotion? Sometimes I despair.

I think there's a pretty good case to say that last season was our worst SPL campaign since promotion. Obviously the season as a whole was magnificent, purely due to the cup win, but the league campaign was - to be frank - an absolute disgrace.

It was the first SPL ever without Rangers, so the points tally average was considerably higher, therefore making the points comparison pretty redundant. Even without two old firm sides in the league, we still finished 11th. Teams like Ross County, Inverness, Aberdeen and Hibs who had all finished below us the season before over took us and finished well above us. Why?

At the end of season events we got the big spiel about how the manager knew where we had went wrong in the SPL and how he was going to fix it. I thought the money from our cup runs would be used to fund a real attempt to kick on, and SGG said Danny would have a decent war chest. At the start of preseason i was really optimistic, i looked around the league and i saw clubs in turmoil and us coasting along nicely, i was looking forward to some really impressive signings.

However, fast forward 6 weeks or so and i don't think i've ever been so unimpressed with the clubs dealings at this stage of an SPL transfer window. Two youth players for the u20 team, an untested keeper and a washed up Kilmarnock reject. 9 first team players out, 2 in, yet the manager is happy with our squad. While Ross County and St Johnstone and teams of that ilk are signing up several experienced SPL players, we are twiddling our thumbs.

It seems like the manager and/or the BOD are happy enough with 10th or 11th. With this squad there's simply no way we are going to finish any higher. Why is there no desire to kick on?

Between them, Guy & Parking scored 9 goals in 35 starts for St. Mirren.

They also both played a part in a few other goals that we scored.

For example, look at Parkin's contribution in the League Cup win over Aberdeen at Pittodrie. He scored the first and his strength create the space for Kenny McLean to run through and score the second.

I remember a game up at Tannadice where Lewis Guy's tireless running saw a Dundee United clearance hit off him and create a goal.

I actually think that is not a bad return from 2 players who were started irregularly, particularly a side struggling at the wrong end of the league and enduring its worst season in the league since promotion.

certainly comparable with the Dargo/Mehmet/Wyness/Hamilton era.

This is clearly a wind up.  How can a team that won the League Cup and finished in a similar position where they have finished before (with more points) be considered as us enduring our worse season since promotion?  Sometimes I despair.

it was a bad season. The Celtic semi final cost me a fortune in both pre and after match celebrations. This euphoria then turn led a group of us to booking a corporate hospitality day at St.Mirren Park. Pre match final buys( hats, scares, car flags etc) cost another fortune. The final itself was another fortune( took the family) not counting celebrations. Then buying glasses, dvds, fridge magnets, mugs and other items made this season worse. That's not including the sky high leccy bill associated with watching this DVD for the umpteenth time. Yes this season was a nightmare:-P:-D

Same again boys

Sent from my C6603 using Black & White Army mobile app

where has all the cup final money gone ? ,lets not forget we have always been told that the budget for the season only includes one round of the cup plus second bottom finish ,so we should have enough cash for a few good players notwithstanding the reduction in numbers which throw up even more cash

the other factor to throw in the mix is an increase in income for second place this year from the new distribution calculations

money should be no problem , or is it ? ie are the directors,having failed to find a buyer ,taking some money out??

where has all the cup final money gone ? ,lets not forget we have always been told that the budget for the season only includes one round of the cup plus second bottom finish ,so we should have enough cash for a few good players notwithstanding the reduction in numbers which throw up even more cash

the other factor to throw in the mix is an increase in income for second place this year from the new distribution calculations

money should be no problem , or is it ? ie are the directors,having failed to find a buyer ,taking some money out??

The money has been used to retain players like McGowan and run the club without the need to increase our debt like other clubs are doing. It also goes towards paying players wages while there is no income for the club during the close season. How else would be be able to do that without retaining a reserve of money to cover the time when we are not playing any games?

Money is and always will be a problem for a team with a small core of fans and trying to retain quality when other clubs appear to be able to offer more. If there were more players like Thommo in football then we would be able to hang onto them but money rules and clubs offering more will more than likely outbid us or take our players away at the end of contracts.

The directors have put a lot of money into the club and I would rather they sold the club to the right buyer than the first bidder who may not have the club's best interest at heart. They are to be commended for sticking to their principles and for taking time. The directors also have a wage so no idea what you mean by them taking money out?

This is clearly a wind up. How can a team that won the League Cup and finished in a similar position where they have finished before (with more points) be considered as us enduring our worse season since promotion? Sometimes I despair.

What bearing does winning the League Cup have on our league season?

We finished as the 10th placed non Old Firm club last season. That is our worst league showing since promotion.

Sometimes I despair.

Darren Barr, another scotland cap who could've done a job for us signs for our competitors Kilmarnock. You can't tell me killie have loads more money than we do

We have missed out on all the best free players by dithering. What a pity. What is left now is loanees and players no other club wants.

Darren Barr, another scotland cap who could've done a job for us signs for our competitors Kilmarnock. You can't tell me killie have loads more money than we do

Wouldn't have him near our club , awful footballer !

Wouldn't have him near our club , awful footballer !

What a bizarre statement. Scotland cap, goal scorer and winner in a Scottish cup final, hundreds of SPL games under his belt.... Yet you wouldn't have him at St Mirren.

What on earth are you expecting?

What a bizarre statement. Scotland cap, goal scorer and winner in a Scottish cup final, hundreds of SPL games under his belt.... Yet you wouldn't have him at St Mirren.

What on earth are you expecting?

McGregor, Cheesy and Mair are all superior defenders. In any case, Barr's Scottish Cup Final appearance and goal, as well as a fair chunk of his SPL starts with Hearts, were as a central midfielder, which we have rather enough of.

Barr would be a very expensive back-up. I'd much rather see one of our young players fill that role.

I don't think it is dithering I just don't think our board want to part with any money!

If that's the case and we do with this squad this season will probably be the biggest budget cut in our history from one season to the next. We have lost 9 players who were on first team salaries and replaced them with 2 who will be.

Our wage budget currently must be about half of what it was a couple of months ago. I would have understood that last year, but this year? We have just been won a cup and we got 4 televised games against Celtic last season - four!

I was expecting this summers budget to increase, not to be slashed in half.

Anyone know if our playing budget has been cut? And if so, why?

McGregor, Cheesy and Mair are all superior defenders. In any case, Barr's Scottish Cup Final appearance and goal, as well as a fair chunk of his SPL starts with Hearts, were as a central midfielder, which we have rather enough of.

Barr would be a very expensive back-up. I'd much rather see one of our young players fill that role.

Yet Darren Barr has a Scotland cap and neither of the three you mentioned do. Do you have any evidence that they are 'superior' defenders or is it just your opinion?

Our defensive record was shocking last season, an experienced player like Barr would likely have improved that, whether he was being used as a holding midfielder or further back.

We're not even being linked with players never mind signing them. It's quite obvious we are not trying very hard to bring the numbers in that we need to replace those who have gone.

If it was me I'd go back and get Carey since we desperately need a left sided player! That's if he hasn't already been snapped up by Dundee utd!

Edited by Big Yards

Lex you you sound like a right bundly of Joy. We also have three young players brought into the first team add Harkins 4 add Darran 5 add Baron 6.as the later two were long term injuries. What's the story with season tickets have we sold more than last season or less because that is what our signings are going to be based on if Div is right and more often than not Div is right none of this bubbling under crap.

Yet Darren Barr has a Scotland cap and neither of the three you mentioned do. Do you have any evidence that they are 'superior' defenders or is it just your opinion?

Our defensive record was shocking last season, an experienced player like Barr would likely have improved that, whether he was being used as a holding midfielder or further back.

Were you around when we paid money to Man U for Ian Ure in 1972? He was a Scottish Internationalist , a European Cup semi final hero with Dundee , and played in 2 Manchester derbies in the 6 months prior to joining us. He was god awful , like Barr , and was replaced by man of many clubs Drew Rogerson who at last put in a shift. Just because a guy has been built up by the media and has had a couple of career high spots , it doesn't mean that he's any good !

It's my opinion, which as the baldy webmaster likes to remind us, is what it's all about.

Don't be so naive to think that a Scotland cap is a sign of being any good. I was at that draw with Northern Ireland. Barr was a good prospect at Falkirk which is why he got into the squad for a friendly. He has not, IMO, lived up to expectations at Hearts.

I maintain that Barr wouldn't get into our first XI. Would you play him in central defence? If so, who out of McGregor, Cheesy or Mair isn't even making the squad? Or would you drop Goodwin?

At best Barr would be on the bench, and there's no way St. Mirren will pay the kind of money Barr will be after for a back-up player.