Danny Says No More Signings

The one thing that really annoys me consistently is the fact that teams like St. Johnstone and Kilmarnock can afford the luxury of offering 2/3 year contracts and pay higher wages than us...I just simply don't see how this can be the case given that St. Johnstone had some quite diabolical home crowds last season, as did Kilmarnock...I really don't see what they can offer players that we can't.

I really hope your concerns are found to be hasty ones dude.

Killie are millions of pounds in debt because they continue to run their club in this fashion and also sell 3 stands to the old firm whenever they attend. As for St Johnstone they make alot of money on the commercial front and Mr Brown has deep pockets not a good recipe for a well run club

Precisely...What stinks is how they can get away with it though. I know it sounds like shouting from a high horse of sorts to say that they ought not to get away with it, but when we consider the state of the game and very recent events surrounding financial matters...I fear that we may be currently missing the boat in terms of sorting this side of the game out at a time when it's spiralling out of control!

Make no mistake, if it weren't for the sale of our stadium we may well be in a mess equal to that of some others, but they should at least be making an effort to start clamping down on financial mis-management to a much greater extent than they are now, something along the lines of only spending what you can afford and start taking care of debt before doing so.

While we are at it, why not enforce some sort of regulation whereby teams must concentrate on the bare bones of their club infrastructure i.e facilities, at least playing surfaces, before looking at other areas of their club. I would single out Motherwell in particular for this criticism.

I get that these are problems of football and not necessarily to the Scottish game, but we seem to be suffering in quite an acute and severe way, as evidenced very bluntly by recent events.

Not so sure I would say they have "overtaken" us. I do see your point about the lack of signings in relation to some others, however I ultimately disagree that we have ay real reason to start panicking.

I didn't know about Wotherspoon...pretty shocked at that one I must say, would have made my day if we unveiled him for next season. Hibs are looking more like relegation candidates as the season edges closer I would say.

The flip side is to say of course that players being released from SPL clubs hardly drives home the point about them being "proven performers"...more proven surplus...so again...hardly shaking in my boots about it all.

The one thing that really annoys me consistently is the fact that teams like St. Johnstone and Kilmarnock can afford the luxury of offering 2/3 year contracts and pay higher wages than us...I just simply don't see how this can be the case given that St. Johnstone had some quite diabolical home crowds last season, as did Kilmarnock...I really don't see what they can offer players that we can't.

I really hope your concerns are found to be hasty ones dude.

I am not panicking at all. My point is we had - in my opinion - a better squad than County and St Johnstone a month ago. Now we don't. Like i said, let's hope in the next 3 weeks we can improve our squad to such a level that we our league form significantly improves on last season.

The only thing uninspiring is you.

They've no kicked a baw yet FFS

This may disappoint you, but I am not here to inspire you davidg. I am well aware they haven't kicked a ball, however this has no relevance to the point.

We have lost 10 players and replaced them with 4 - 3 of whom have no experience at all at this level. Our squad is currently in Spain on a pre season training and bonding camp. Why are we 6 bodies down on such an important time in pre season for the squad? Would Danny not have wanted as much time as possible for the new players to settle in and train with their new team mates? If not, why not?

For some reason Danny seems to have decided to leave all his business to the last minute. In the mean time our rivals are hoovering up much of our potential targets.

Like i say constantly, let's hope Danny is good at playing catch up and his dithering up until this point doesn't cost us points at the start of next season.

Edited by Lex

The sad thing is i think you may be right. Our permanent signings this year may consist of a couple of youth players and Gary Harkins.

Talk about uninspiring. I fear we may have missed out on an opportunity to really kick on next season. Hope we're both wrong though and there's plenty of SPL experience waiting to sign up!

Well you're the boy who is always slating his success rate with his permanent signings.

But he has far better time with his loan signings i'm sure you agree

Rory Fallon (Aberdeen)

Gary McDonald (Morecambe)

Dylan Easton (Berwick Rangers)

Gwion Edwards (Swansea City - Loan)

David Wotherspoon (Hibernian)

Brian Easton (Dundee)

Steve Banks (Dundee Utd)

McDonald, Easton, Wotherspoon and Banks are four proven performers at this level and i would have taken any of them at Saints. We started this pre season in a better place than teams like the Saintees and Ross County having kept all our top lads, while they lost theirs. Fast forward a month and they have both over taken us.

Let's hope Danny's good at playing catch up.

Banks won't play much at 41, and has hardly played in 3 years. Fallon is pretty gash and McDonald didn't impress me while at Hamilton. Easton is the only one out that lot that I would have been keen on. Also, pretty sure the Johnnies had a higher squad turnover than us.

I am not panicking at all. My point is we had - in my opinion - a better squad than County and St Johnstone a month ago. Now we don't. Like i said, let's hope in the next 3 weeks we can improve our squad to such a level that we our league form significantly improves on last season.

This may disappoint you, but I am not here to inspire you davidg. I am well aware they haven't kicked a ball, however this has no relevance to the point.

We have lost 10 players and replaced them with 4 - 3 of whom have no experience at all at this level. Our squad is currently in Spain on a pre season training and bonding camp. Why are we 6 bodies down on such an important time in pre season for the squad? Would Danny not have wanted as much time as possible for the new players to settle in and train with their new team mates? If not, why not?

For some reason Danny seems to have decided to leave all his business to the last minute. In the mean time our rivals are hoovering up much of our potential targets.

Like i say constantly, let's hope Danny is good at playing catch up and his dithering up until this point doesn't cost us points at the start of next season.

Thank f**k you're not here to inspire me!!

You're on about Danny leaving his business til the last minute but maybe he has confidence in the young guys coming through. They're 18 and 19 now, if they're good enough to cut it at our level just now they it's unlikely they ever will.

Danny's seen enough of them to believe they are ready to step up, if rather that than sign some I the seasoned SPL shite that you listed.

I'm glad we've hung of than waste money on junk.

Edited by davidg

The only thing uninspiring is you.

They've no kicked a baw yet FFS

I think most of St.J's signings are ones that I'd be disappointed in if we'd signed them.

Wotherspoon is the only one that might be decent as he'll benefit from being away from Hibs and he's not as good as most of our current midfield.

Rather have quality than quantity.

Thank f**k you're not here to inspire me!!

You're on about Danny leaving his business til the last minute but maybe he has confidence in the young guys coming through. They're 18 and 19 now, if they're good enough to cut it at our level just now they it's unlikely they ever will.

Danny's seen enough of them to believe they are ready to step up, if rather that than sign some I the seasoned SPL shite that you listed.

I'm glad we've hung of than waste money on junk.

What young guys are you talking about? We know what McGinn and Reilly can do. Who else do you mean? Mo Yaqub and Anton Brady? Is there anyone else? Even if we assume Yaqub and Brady are now first team players, we are still well short on last year.

If Danny had confidence in them, why didn't he play them at the end of last season? Our season as a competitive entity essentially finished after the LC final. Yet Danny never played either of those two players until the final game of the season, and even then it was a fleeting sub appearance. Maybe they are ready, we'd certainly know more about them if the manager had gave them more of a run out, instead he played players that he knew were leaving at the end of the season. Why?

Your last point is a contradiction. The fact we have hung on means that all that's left in the free transfer market is junk. So we either sign some of this junk, or go into next season with a squad significantly weaker and smaller than the one that finished 11th last term.

Well you're the boy who is always slating his success rate with his permanent signings.

But he has far better time with his loan signings i'm sure you agree

I do agree.

Banks won't play much at 41, and has hardly played in 3 years. Fallon is pretty gash and McDonald didn't impress me while at Hamilton. Easton is the only one out that lot that I would have been keen on. Also, pretty sure the Johnnies had a higher squad turnover than us.

I'd rather have Banks as our number 2 than a youth player. I never said we should sign Fallon, he would just have been another Sam Parkin, yet Danny was happy enough to sign a player like that last year. Gary McDonald has played 300 odd games at SPL/League 1 level, only 25 of them were at Accies. As for St Johnstone having a higher squad turnover than us, they haven't.

Edited by Lex

Mo and Anton did ok last season and Sean Kelly is probably the best of the 3.

I'm sure you understand my reticence about 3 players who have 2 first team sub appearances between them. If Danny is indeed placing so much hope on these kids next year, he should have gave them alot more game time in the uncompetitive games towards the end of last season.

I'm sure you understand my reticence about 3 players who have 2 first team sub appearances between them. If Danny is indeed placing so much hope on these kids next year, he should have gave them alot more game time in the uncompetitive games towards the end of last season.

Uncompetitive?

Dundee were still chasing us down.

Why not more time? The games didn't matter in any way shape or form, yet only Yaqub and Brady got a sub appearance. Why did he prefer players he knew were leaving the club over them?

Break them in followed by their first preseason with the first team?

Who knows.

Who knows.

Spot on

How would we know otherwise?

Time to take a punt.

ETA - I think I have missed the point here. Ach well, sod it.

Edited by Drew

Who knows.

Who knows indeed. I thought both Brady and Yaqub played well in the very limited time they got at Rugby Park, and i thought at the time where on earth have these guys been in the last month or so. If Lennon is going to gamble on youth, his gamble would have been lessened by playing these guys more when he could.

Like i said, even assuming these 3 players are going to be first team regulars, we are still a long way behind.

Who knows indeed. I thought both Brady and Yaqub played well in the very limited time they got at Rugby Park, and i thought at the time where on earth have these guys been in the last month or so. If Lennon is going to gamble on youth, his gamble would have been lessened by playing these guys more when he could.

Like i said, even assuming these 3 players are going to be first team regulars, we are still a long way behind.

We are hardly a long way behind ya donkey! Gary Mcdonald and Rory f**king Fallon, gies peace ffs!!

We are hardly a long way behind ya donkey! Gary Mcdonald and Rory f**king Fallon, gies peace ffs!!

Ah, not had personal abuse from you for a while, liked by a mod aswell! Back on the sauce again JJ? Perhaps when you wake up tomorrow and re-read the thread you'll see that nowhere did i suggest we should have signed Rory Fallon.

Away to bed now bangin.giflol.gif

It's looking like Lex's transparency is becoming very transparent. whistling.gif

His massive thread proclaiming lots of other SPL teams were in a state of disarray and had managers who were dumplings, compared to our Danny Lennon, was designed to be used when these teams, despite being shite, managed to beat St Mirren and this would, in his view, show Lennon was inadequate and should be sacked. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Maybe he should change his username to Casper, he was see through as well. thumbup2.gif

It's looking like Lex's transparency is becoming very transparent. whistling.gif

His massive thread proclaiming lots of other SPL teams were in a state of disarray and had managers who were dumplings, compared to our Danny Lennon, was designed to be used when these teams, despite being shite, managed to beat St Mirren and this would, in his view, show Lennon was inadequate and should be sacked. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Maybe he should change his username to Casper, he was see through as well. thumbup2.gif

So many smilies.

So let me get this straight. When i'm being optimistic, i'm undermining Danny Lennon. When i'm being pessimistic, I'm undermining Danny Lennon.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif indeed. Past your bed time old man bye1.gif

So many smilies.

So let me get this straight. When i'm being optimistic, i'm undermining Danny Lennon. When i'm being pessimistic, I'm undermining Danny Lennon.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif indeed. Past your bed time old man bye1.gif

Usual retort........................smilies (Are you getting shagged by Gary/silent/blah blah blah?) lol.gif

Coming from a post with 4 smilies, well, irony indeed.

Night night Casper. bye1.gif