Danny Says No More Signings

lol.gif

Even if they were 'chasing us down' they weren't in the final two games, they were mathematically dead rubbers. Why didn't he give them more game time in those?

Agreed. There is no logical reason why they wouldn't be played in the games post split, with hindsight and based on the soundbites from DL after the season i.e. "giving youth a chance" it seems strange to have still been watching Parkin, Guy et al towards the end of the last campaign.

Another thing that shows lack of foresight given the teams composition towards the end of last season was the inclusion of Samson and McGowan in the team line ups, with Samson having already made his intensions clear and McGowan's intensions at the time decidedly hazy, it would surely have been the optimal time to throw in anyone lacking in game time. Add to that Puri, who I hardly recall even forming an opinion on thanks to his elusiveness.

All of the above...at the time...suggested that DL had things worked out already and was ahead of the game in terms of squad composition for 2013/14. To say that Dundee were chasing us down I think is quite unrealistic I would reckon, they only really looked dangerous if you were to believe the sensationalism of the tabloids at the time period after the Hearts game, up until the Dundee vs Aberdeen fixture.

Agreed. There is no logical reason why they wouldn't be played in the games post split, with hindsight and based on the soundbites from DL after the season i.e. "giving youth a chance" it seems strange to have still been watching Parkin, Guy et al towards the end of the last campaign.

Another thing that shows lack of foresight given the teams composition towards the end of last season was the inclusion of Samson and McGowan in the team line ups, with Samson having already made his intensions clear and McGowan's intensions at the time decidedly hazy, it would surely have been the optimal time to throw in anyone lacking in game time. Add to that Puri, who I hardly recall even forming an opinion on thanks to his elusiveness.

All of the above...at the time...suggested that DL had things worked out already and was ahead of the game in terms of squad composition for 2013/14. To say that Dundee were chasing us down I think is quite unrealistic I would reckon, they only really looked dangerous if you were to believe the sensationalism of the tabloids at the time period after the Hearts game, up until the Dundee vs Aberdeen fixture.

If you read some of the posts around that time you will find there were plenty on here, not just the tabloids or that twat John Brown, who were getting concerned.

Added to that they were on a good run of form, we were not as we seemed to switch off after the cup final.

I don't believe that's acceptable, but we were on the crest of a slump and while it was always unlikely it was possible for a time.

If you read some of the posts around that time you will find there were plenty on here, not just the tabloids or that twat John Brown, who were getting concerned.

Added to that they were on a good run of form, we were not as we seemed to switch off after the cup final.

I don't believe that's acceptable, but we were on the crest of a slump and while it was always unlikely it was possible for a time.

Just because some people may have been concerned, doesn't mean that there was really ever anything to be concerned about. I personally don't recall ever being slightly worried that we might go down last season.

We did switch off after the cup final, which is even more reason to have the older guys like Thompson, Teale and van Zanten on the bench for the last 5 games, van Zanten in particular looked like a weak link.

John Brown is most definitely a tw*t.

If you'd seen vanzy in the bull inn on 18th mar you'd understand why he was a weak link in the remaining games!

I doubt that seeing "vanzy" in the "bull" would have eased my concerns about his on the pitch performances.

I think (or i would like to think) that had there been any reason for "vanzy" to have been not up to it, he should have been dropped, regardless of the reason.

Edited by ss39Lavety

I'm sure you understand my reticence about 3 players who have 2 first team sub appearances between them.  If Danny is indeed placing so much hope on these kids next year, he should have gave them alot more game time in the uncompetitive games towards the end of last season.

no one wins anything with kids. :ph34r:

More abuse and smilies from faraway saint.

Will the glory hunting part timer ever post an opinion?

My opinion is you're a .........................wait, I've already done that.

Didn't take you long to hunt me down today. bangin.gif

You just came in to post this? lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Morning troll. bye1.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Last year he put a lot of faith in McGinn and Reily when they had never played first team football, The year before he put a lot of faith in Mclean. If his record with signings is suspect, he record with kids is pretty good. I can't think of any kids he's brought in that have let us down.

No doubt someone will correct my errors whistling.gif

If we had been more comfortable I sure he would have.

I don't think that we were ever uncomfortable after the split, in fact, many of the players who started these matches looked a little too comfortable...to the point of being ineffective.

A lot of people will say that it's natural to have something of a slump after winning the cup etc...all the more reason to have dropped a few players and given others a chance...I doubt that anyone will argue that game time would have had much more value for the youngsters than it did for the rest.

In terms of the relegation threat at the time...I think even the most optimistic Dundee fan would have seen survival as highly unlikely...they really were never going to catch us...in fact, I would say that I am more concerned about the threat of relegation now, than I was at any time after the 2012/13 split.

Last year he put a lot of faith in McGinn and Reily when they had never played first team football, The year before he put a lot of faith in Mclean. If his record with signings is suspect, he record with kids is pretty good. I can't think of any kids he's brought in that have let us down.

Jon McShane?

I don't think that we were ever uncomfortable after the split, in fact, many of the players who started these matches looked a little too comfortable...to the point of being ineffective.

A lot of people will say that it's natural to have something of a slump after winning the cup etc...all the more reason to have dropped a few players and given others a chance...I doubt that anyone will argue that game time would have had much more value for the youngsters than it did for the rest.

In terms of the relegation threat at the time...I think even the most optimistic Dundee fan would have seen survival as highly unlikely...they really were never going to catch us...in fact, I would say that I am more concerned about the threat of relegation now, than I was at any time after the 2012/13 split.

FFS. What an outlook. thumbdown.gif

Maybe time you looked to support, lol.giflol.giflol.gif , another team or took up knitting as you sure don't look like being in a position to support St Mirren football club. bye1.gifbye1.gifbye1.gif

Jon McShane?

McShane went on to do ok for Hamilton, some would say Danny never gave him enough game time rather than too much, The few games I saw he looked ok but not ready for the SPL

FFS. What an outlook. thumbdown.gif

Maybe time you looked to support, lol.giflol.giflol.gif , another team or took up knitting as you sure don't look like being in a position to support St Mirren football club. bye1.gifbye1.gifbye1.gif

Okay...Firstly, in reference to the section of my post that you so kindly highlighted...you may have noticed (or rather it seems you have overlooked) the fact that I did not quantify my concern...this is because the purpose of the statement was to juxtapose my concern at the time in question, and my concern now...in order to demonstrate that my lack of concern at the time in question (that is...after the 2012/13 split) was indeed minimal...still with me?...good!

The crux of the matter being that you have taken my statement out of context and applied a whole new meaning to my words (namely that I have undue concern and thus I am of such a negative persuasion that I should be exempt from supporting St. Mirren)...and here we are!

In order to clear things up however...I will now explain the magnitude of my concern at both times (this is because the magnitude of my concern was not so vital in making the point I originally made by reference to it, only that my concern at the time in question (see above) be depicted as minimal...so...

My concern regarding relegation after the split of 2012/13: With 5 games to go and being many points ahead of Dundee, my concern was non-existent.

My concern now: Not at all significant, I am quietly optimistic about the season ahead and I do not think St. Mirren will be relegated. The fact that players have left does not concern me as (with the exception of Carey) we have retained our best players, the ones who left (especially Parkin) I am happy to see them go. The fact that we have brought in less players than we have let go does not panic me a great deal, and indeed, even if we do not bring in anyone else, my opinion is that we have enough about us to survive in the SPL, based on the relative strength of the other sides in the league.

Mathematically we are obliged more concern now that we were post split 2012/13...we are as things stand level on points with everyone (except Hearts) with 38 games to play, and with the addition of a play off spot for the side finishing second bottom (where we finished last season). Having 5 games to go and being many points ahead of the bottom side is thus a stronger mathematical position...and yet your misrepresentation of my words would have this fact alone exempt me from being a St. Mirren supporter...and knitting!

I'm not surprised that John Brown and the Tabloids got to you last season... smile.png

Edited by ss39Lavety

Okay...Firstly, in reference to the section of my post that you so kindly highlighted...you may have noticed (or rather it seems you have overlooked) the fact that I did not quantify my concern...this is because the purpose of the statement was to juxtapose my concern at the time in question, and my concern now...in order to demonstrate that my lack of concern at the time in question (that is...after the 2012/13 split) was indeed minimal...still with me?...good!

The crux of the matter being that you have taken my statement out of context and applied a whole new meaning to my words (namely that I have undue concern and thus I am of such a negative persuasion that I should be exempt from supporting St. Mirren)...and here we are!

In order to clear things up however...I will now explain the magnitude of my concern at both times (this is because the magnitude of my concern was not so vital in making the point I originally made by reference to it, only that my concern at the time in question (see above) be depicted as minimal...so...

My concern regarding relegation after the split of 2012/13: With 5 games to go and being many points ahead of Dundee, my concern was non-existent.

My concern now: Not at all significant, I am quietly optimistic about the season ahead and I do not think St. Mirren will be relegated. The fact that players have left does not concern me as (with the exception of Carey) we have retained our best players, the ones who left (especially Parkin) I am happy to see them go. The fact that we have brought in less players than we have let go does not panic me a great deal, and indeed, even if we do not bring in anyone else, my opinion is that we have enough about us to survive in the SPL, based on the relative strength of the other sides in the league.

Mathematically we are obliged more concern now that we were post split 2012/13...we are as things stand level on points with everyone (except Hearts) with 38 games to play, and with the addition of a play off spot for the side finishing second bottom (where we finished last season). Having 5 games to go and being many points ahead of the bottom side is thus a stronger mathematical position...and yet your misrepresentation of my words would have this fact alone exempt me from being a St. Mirren supporter...and knitting!

I'm not surprised that John Brown and the Tabloids got to you last season... smile.png

Good post.

I take your explanation seriously and wholeheartedly apologise.

How is the knitting going?

Good post.

I take your explanation seriously and wholeheartedly apologise.

How is the knitting going?

What did his post say ?

Too long a story with difficult big words.

" juxtapose " for fuxsake.

Whit ???1eye.giflol.gif

It said, ya dafty, he enjoys knitting and is currently knitting a new St Mirren top.

Anything else?

I want a knitted Saints Top for the winter.

Hat and gloves tae.

And for free. you could send him doon yir sheep for fleecing.