Danny Says No More Signings

Were you around when we paid money to Man U for Ian Ure in 1972? He was a Scottish Internationalist , a European Cup semi final hero with Dundee , and played in 2 Manchester derbies in the 6 months prior to joining us. He was god awful , like Barr , and was replaced by man of many clubs Drew Rogerson who at last put in a shift. Just because a guy has been built up by the media and has had a couple of career high spots , it doesn't mean that he's any good !

Ian Ure played in 2 Manchester derbies in the 6 months prior to joining St. Mirren?

How did he manage that when he didn't make any league appearances in the entire season before he arrived at Love Street? :lol:

Agree that Darren Barr is shite however. He's a modern day Roddy Manley! :lol:

I would drop Goodwin, cheesy and mair for scotland international Barr. A Barr/mcgregor centre half duo is far more appealing than any of the others. Our support talk about our defence as if they are excellent, we lost far too many silly goals last season! In fact the only reason Goodwin got moved back is because we were so bad in that area!

Edited by Big Yards

I would drop Goodwin, cheesy and mair for scotland international Barr. A Barr/mcgregor centre half duo is far more appealing than any of the others. Our support talk about our defence as if they are excellent, we lost far too many silly goals last season! In fact the only reason Goodwin got moved back is because we were so bad in that area!

Scotland International? Nah pal, not been near the squad in years. It's on a par with calling Tam Broon a Scotland cap as he once played a B Team.

Barr is pish, certainly not a centre half that's better than what he have. Ask any Hertz fan.

Scotland International? Nah pal, not been near the squad in years. It's on a par with calling Tam Broon a Scotland cap as he once played a B Team.

Barr is pish, certainly not a centre half that's better than what he have. Ask any Hertz fan.

Its not on a par with Tam Broon at all. Darren Barr DOES have a full Scotland cap. Tam Brown doesn't.

The fact that Barr hasn't been a squad in years also doesn't alter the fact that he DOES have a full Scotland cap.

It doesn't matter how you dress it up, Darren Barr IS a Scotland international!

Granted, he's still shite! :lol:

Yet Darren Barr has a Scotland cap and neither of the three you mentioned do. Do you have any evidence that they are 'superior' defenders or is it just your opinion?

Our defensive record was shocking last season, an experienced player like Barr would likely have improved that, whether he was being used as a holding midfielder or further back.

A friendly cap against Northern Ireland 5 years ago! Sorry I'd rather stick with what we have! I know we're all wanting some signings but come on!

We should sign one of cliftonvilles strikers, 66 goals between the 2 of them last season. This guy boyce looks like a player. Danny was a northern Irish international as well, must have contacts over there!

f**k sake!!!!!!

I seen a boy score a cracker at fives think we should sign him!

We actually have good defenders.

The reason we lose a lot of goals is because of the manager's tactics of getting the players to fanny about with the ball at the back before losing the ball to the opposition and allowing them an easy goal.

you are a gem.

f**k sake!!!!!!

I seen a boy score a cracker at fives think we should sign him!

Has that boy scored 30 odd goals and won a double in the northern Irish premier league?

If you think we're above signing the best players from Ireland you're a bit deluded. Heffernan, Kelly etc at killie haven't done too badly!

Has that boy scored 30 odd goals and won a double in the northern Irish premier league?

If you think we're above signing the best players from Ireland you're a bit deluded. Heffernan, Kelly etc at killie haven't done too badly!

Yeah but you've prob just heard some stat prob today watching the Celtic game and decided we should sign this boy! You don't know how much it would cost, how much the transfer would be, how long a contract he's still on, what's his wages like! Basically I would imagine u know f**k all about him, and lets be honest if someone had mentioned the name before tonight u would have prob been moaning too! I know we all want signings but there's no point just picking out randoms! If by my mistake u are some sort of expert on the northern Irish league them why haven't u brought this boys name up before???

Yeah but you've prob just heard some stat prob today watching the Celtic game and decided we should sign this boy! You don't know how much it would cost, how much the transfer would be, how long a contract he's still on, what's his wages like! Basically I would imagine u know f**k all about him, and lets be honest if someone had mentioned the name before tonight u would have prob been moaning too! I know we all want signings but there's no point just picking out randoms! If by my mistake u are some sort of expert on the northern Irish league them why haven't u brought this boys name up before???

Was just a suggestion! I don't claim to be am expert on the Irish league, I just noticed how good a touch he had, willing to run at ppl and heard his goal tally. Not all players that teams sign have been watched a million times. Sometimes you only need to see them once or twice to know they'd do a job. Just look at when Dortmund signed Paul lambert! That was based on 2 matches against Motherwell. Not as if the whole of Germany knew anything about him before that match

McGregor, Cheesy and Mair are all superior defenders. In any case, Barr's Scottish Cup Final appearance and goal, as well as a fair chunk of his SPL starts with Hearts, were as a central midfielder, which we have rather enough of.

Barr would be a very expensive back-up. I'd much rather see one of our young players fill that role.

I think "superior" is a little strong...even for a personal opinion. Given the choice...I reckon the majority percentage of people would feel more secure with Barr in defence than "Cheesy" or Mair. McGregor has indeed showed quite some promise before his injury, will be good to see him get a full season behind him...McGregor and Barr would have been the best pairing IMO of the 4 candidates in question.

In terms of the debate as to whether we should sign players or go with what we have...I really think that given the relative strength of the other sides that we should be fine...do I think that this is overly prudent...yes, but given the financial crippling of the game in recent times I'm happy to go with it for now...could be over optimistic of course, however I think the fact that we have our primary objective as financial stability cannot really be argued against.

On the other hand...the view that we were in a position to make real progress in the league given the revenue from our cup run, from Tv revenue, the wages we freed up...we can't disagree with that either. All things considered, it didn't necessarily need to be a considerable gamble to make the most of the opportunity we all sensed at the end of the 2012/13 campaign.

Assuming that DL had sufficient foresight, and his plan of going with youth was always the objective...we MUST question why certain players were not afforded game time towards the end of 2012/13.

My suspicion is that this was not the plan of DL, and that he was given assurances of a budget relative to our success last year...I think that this changed upon the deduction of 15 points for hearts, and the introduction of the financial relegation buffer payment...I think the BOD have essentially bottled it, bottled it from what was, at this time, maybe our best opportunity to climb the league standings.

Do I think they warrant criticism...I'll tell you at the end of 2013/14...maybe at Christmas...my opinion today is that it would be hypocritical in the extreme if we were to go too far in objecting to a prudent approach given that we have been more than hasty in scrutinising the financial flamboyancy of others. I would rather be us, doing what we are doing now, than be Kilmarnock, St. Johnstone etc.

There is unquestionably a huge part of me however that feels as though, this pre-season has been a glorious opportunity to really go for it, however I feel that it may be too late to switch our outlook again, because those players that we could have snapped up quickly, who we would have needed to snap up quickly, have already possibly been signed elsewhere, we switched off and now we must stick.

I do maintain that the squad we have now is good enough to survive the drop, ironically I don't think Hearts will be the ones propping up the table but that is irrelevant. If we do have a bad year and struggle then this opinion will have proven to be blind optimism...if we survive easily and finish bottom six...I will probably wonder what could have been...If we breach the top six with our current squad...It will be my best season as a saints fan yet!

Edited by ss39Lavety

I think "superior" is a little strong...even for a personal opinion. Given the choice...I reckon the majority percentage of people would feel more secure with Barr in defence than "Cheesy" or Mair.

Not me. Darren Barr is gash. I genuinely wouldn't swap him for either McAusland or Mair.

We're not even being linked with players never mind signing them. It's quite obvious we are not trying very hard to bring the numbers in that we need to replace those who have gone.

If it was me I'd go back and get Carey since we desperately need a left sided player! That's if he hasn't already been snapped up by Dundee utd!

Oh yes we are,I've just sent you a PM with who's coming,

You know for sure?...How?

Where have you been hiding? I've broke all our dealings/signings exclusively on here. I have a club mole plus very very good friends within the media and sport,I'm what we say "in the know"

I have a number of followers on here whom I PM information to,if you would like to "join" drop me a PM.