Danny Says No More Signings

Motherwell signed McManus, who has Scotland caps and has played at a high level. Hibs appear willing to pay 200k for a striker.

McManus would be plying his trade down south if he was still good enough. He was hardly an excellent player at Celtic (good but not great). Hibs paying out £200k (where the fk did they get the money) for a striker does not guarantee success (Clayton Donaldson anyone)? Of course they have not signed him yet. My point is that every club is scraping around for players and many coming in are likely to be not as good as those going out.

If we're not spending money, I take that to mean either we haven't managed to agree deals for any more players yet, or that money is tighter than many of us think. I trust the board completely to do what's right for the club, as they have done for the past 15 years or so.

We'll get a team we can afford when all is said and done, and we won't put ourselves into trouble like Rangers, Dunfermline, Hearts, Dundee and countless other clubs. I prefer this way of working.

McManus would be plying his trade down south if he was still good enough. He was hardly an excellent player at Celtic (good but not great). Hibs paying out £200k (where the fk did they get the money) for a striker does not guarantee success (Clayton Donaldson anyone)? Of course they have not signed him yet. My point is that every club is scraping around for players and many coming in are likely to be not as good as those going out.

I was merely replying to the part of your post I highlighted. McManus and a 200k striker seem to be the 'biggest names' outside of McFadden being signed... Until we astound everyone with our striker to supplement the Thommohawk, a proper left back, and a loanee or two that is.

I was merely replying to the part of your post I highlighted. McManus and a 200k striker seem to be the 'biggest names' outside of McFadden being signed... Until we astound everyone with our striker to supplement the Thommohawk, a proper left back, and a loanee or two that is.

Paul McGowan?

Totally understand. My issue was more about Big Yards statement about withdrawing our support which I think is utterly ridiculous when the club need us more than ever. There will be reasons behind the delay in bringing in or deciding not to bring in player. We have no inside knowledge of this and to be honest, if Danny has more in the budget then there will be activity behind the scenes that we will be privvy to in time. Like you, I would rather see the club operate within the financial constraints than pay out what we cannot afford.

Shut it you! New signings, ya' daftie...

Re-signing him technically WAS a new signing in some respects, though.

I would certainly class it as one of the best pieces of business by any SPFL club this close season.

Totally understand. My issue was more about Big Yards statement about withdrawing our support which I think is utterly ridiculous when the club need us more than ever. There will be reasons behind the delay in bringing in or deciding not to bring in player. We have no inside knowledge of this and to be honest, if Danny has more in the budget then there will be activity behind the scenes that we will be privvy to in time. Like you, I would rather see the club operate within the financial constraints than pay out what we cannot afford.

If we don't bring anyone else in, I wouldn't be waffling about chucking it, but I wouldn't be too happy. There's a difference between ending up like Hearts, Dunfermline or The Sevco, and trying to run the place like a penny pinching wee corner shop and hoping everything works out for the best while saying your prayers every night. It could be that we are sailing too close to penny pinching corner shop territory. The jury should be out at present, awaiting developments before delivering a verdict one way or the other.

If we don't bring anyone else in, I wouldn't be waffling about chucking it, but I wouldn't be too happy. There's a difference between ending up like Hearts, Dunfermline or The Sevco, and trying to run the place like a penny pinching wee corner shop and hoping everything works out for the best while saying your prayers every night. It could be that we are sailing too close to penny pinching corner shop territory. The jury should be out at present, awaiting developments before delivering a verdict one way or the other.

I don't know our financial situation - the board do. If they're not spending money, then I assume we haven't got it to spend, or that we haven't found players we think are worth signing yet. No sense in spending money for the sake of it.

I don't know our financial situation - the board do. If they're not spending money, then I assume we haven't got it to spend, or that we haven't found players we think are worth signing yet. No sense in spending money for the sake of it.

I think they have took stock of our manager last few signings which has led to paying off players contracts. That's why i think they are going down the loan route. It could be they don't trust his judgment or he has lost faith in his. His biggest successes has been bringing in players on loan.

12 out (admittedly 3 of these probably had to be offered a sweetener to go) and 4 in so far, there's also the LC windfall (our Turnover increased by £½M in 09/10 when we reached the final so you'd have to think we'd do better this time having won it). There must be room in the budget for an extra 3 players, I don't think you could call it spending for the sake of it - it's to get a SPL standard team out on the pitch 11 days from now.

Like I've said elsewhere I think DL has been playing a bit of poker with regards to signings and how much he's willing to pay for them, I don't think he's got much longer before he'll have to play his cards and bring in whatever is available - still I'm happier than during the Summer of Beath when a couple of our signings were clearly substandard.

I think they have took stock of our manager last few signings which has led to paying off players contracts. That's why i think they are going down the loan route. It could be they don't trust his judgment or he has lost faith in his. His biggest successes has been bringing in players on loan.

I don't think that's right, or they wouldn't be allowing the manager to offload guys the way he did. To say to the manager "Offload as many as you want, but we won't back you to sign anyone" would be a bit silly.

I'll wait and see what happens. Word is that we could even have a new face by the time we play QOTS tomorrow night, and that we are looking at a couple of players.

still I'm happier than during the Summer of Beath when a couple of our signings were clearly substandard.

We signed 2 Cowdenbeath players that summer. One of them was Darren McGregor who was an outstanding success that season. The other, Wardlaw, was arguably substandard but did a decent job.

Other signings that summer included Paul McGowan, Craig Samson, Marc McAusland, Jure Travner and David Van Zanten. All successful signings surely? Indeed, a couple were spectactular successes.

Sean Lynch was substandard, accepted while Paddy Cregg did an okay job and is now with another SPL side higher up the league than us.

I don't actually think the signings made that summer were as bad as some folk think...

We signed 2 Cowdenbeath players that summer. One of them was Darren McGregor who was an outstanding success that season. The other, Wardlaw, was arguably substandard but did a decent job.

You missed out the other two.

Paul McQuade

The Northern Irish U-19 left back Peter Bradley.

Edited by FTOF

Aye that will help Danny and the club by withdrawing much needed resources. Being a fan means supporting your team through thick and thin. What would you think if we all refused to pay our hard earned cash and we went belly up? We are not being taken for a bunch of mugs. The club have limited finances and made it clear that we would not go down the route of overspending and bringing us to the brink where we were before SG came on board. This is a tough time for virtually all clubs in Scotland and the aim should be to ensure we have a club in existence and not going through what other clubs have recently had to do. Why don't you wait until our full squad is known and rid yourself of the ridiculous statement of withdrawing your money. That, of course, is your choice and you are free to stay away from the club if you feel that staying away will help us bring on board more players.

Btw, most of the the SPL clubs have brought in journeymen and not one of them I would consider a class - other than perhaps McFadden at Murderwell who took a pay cut. Name me one other 'big' signing made by any of the SPL clubs? I think we will be fine when a few loan deals are concluded.

Aberdeen have made some good signings and have a much smaller budget than you imagine. Inverness several new signings and they had a good season so no reason to imagine tel wont have done his homework. Adams at Ross c has added as have Motherwell who have James and McManus as well as an older keeper. I think hibs have offered 200k for a striker and have added Thomson and vine who is proven in spl at least. St.johnstone have Wotherspoon a top under 21 . Ok so hearts are grubbed and Patrick are struggling and then there is us who apart from harkins have brought in boys to replace the many players we allowed to leave. I can't get the logic in letting them all go ? If he can't replace them then why shaft yourself for cover. Edited by norrie82

Aberdeen have made some good signings and have a much smaller budget than you imagine. .

Really?

Care to enlighten us with your knowledge of their financial details in comparison to ours?

Other than Motherwell I'm not impressed with the other teams signings.

Other signings that summer included Paul McGowan, Craig Samson, Marc McAusland, Jure Travner and David Van Zanten. All successful signings surely? Indeed, a couple were spectactular successes.

Sean Lynch was substandard, accepted while Paddy Cregg did an okay job and is now with another SPL side higher up the league than us.

I don't actually think the signings made that summer were as bad as some folk think...

Although a few of them may have came good, they weren't exactly great at the time. McGowan, Wardlaw, McQuade, Samson and McAusland were hardly great were they? Add into that guys like Lynch, Hegarty and McCluskey. That's not even counting the re-signing of Robb and Brady for example.

- still I'm happier than during the Summer of Beath when a couple of our signings were clearly substandard.

I said a couple were substandard rolleyes.gif and I think I was being generous, like others have said 4 from Cowdenbeath (3 definitely substandard), and then there was Morton reject Jamie McLuskey. As for McGregor whom you class as an outstanding success I think you're being generous, he made plenty of mistakes that season and won his POTY awards as much for attitude as ability, a classic case of injury improving a players record in the mind of fans. Along with Heggarty, Lynch and the two re-signings that makes eight.

PS - I'm glad you classify McAusland as a success perhaps you should let Gary Blues know! shutup.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker