Danny Says No More Signings

And it would please me greatly if you would stop being so dismissive of fellow supporters,especially those who dare to have a bit of ambition for our club.You may be happy that 10th/11th seems to be "our lot" and talk nonsense about Danny being the "most successful" manager since blah blah blah ,the term you should really be using is "least worst" manager since ... successful implies that he has somehow succeeded,the amateurish,embarrasing shambles that is our current first team squad suggests otherwise

Yet another tedious alias. snore.gif

Can't you just stick to one like most adults?

It's hard to take comments about gibberish from someone who can't construct a simple sentence without f**king up absolutely every single bit of grammar in it.

Hard to take seriously anyway.

are you still on the go how is this for grammar when I read your tedious comments all I can compare it to is blah blah blah de blah blah go away and do your housework .may I also add you do take it seriously as you tend to comment on my posts ,may I also add that I stand by my twat comment .

Edited by linwood buddie

We won the cup because we have a squad capable of getting "up" for important games when there is something in it for them but quite happy to underachieve week in week out in the league because there was nobody to replace them,this situation will be magnified this season unless we finf 4 players of a reasonable standard to come in,late is better than never but we all know its far from ideal ,The way this close season has been handled is disgraceful.If there is no money-tell us,if we are consolidating-tell us,just stop expecting us to buy season tickets while treating us like mugs

This post here hits the nail precisely on its napper. Well said, think that sums up the thoughts of a lot of Saints fans.

It's hard to take comments about gibberish from someone who can't construct a simple sentence without f**king up absolutely every single bit of grammar in it.

Do you believe that is a proper sentence, Oaksie ?

Do you believe that is a proper sentence, Oaksie ?

He is making this too easy.

Edited by linwood buddie

Yes I'm serious. Time waits for no man your only as good as your last game. Alex smith was bagged less than a year after 87! I suspect Danny will be given the season but I doubt 11th again will save him

I'm not condoning or defending Alex Smith's sacking in 1988,less than a year after he won the Scottish Cup for us. I will set it in context though that the board at that time seemed to dispense with managers pretty quickly eg Alex Ferguson was sacked after taking us from the bottom league to the premier league and keeping there and discovering guys like Fitzpatrick, McGarvey, Abercromby. Clunie was sacked after we had finished 3rd in the league. Ricki McFarlane,resigned after a few seasons where we had managed a 3= finish and kept us top 5. The only manager the board stuck with for any length of time was Alex Miller!

Against the backdrop of the team he was inheriting and where St Mirren had finished in the premier league in the previous decade, I think the 1987 league campaign under Miller then Smith saw our worst finish since our first season in the premier league (7th?) and Smith was fired after we had dropped into the relegation places with 3 or 4 games left,at which point Fitzpatrick and McGarvey came in and pulled a few results out of the bag and kept us up.

Leaving aside a historic cup win in his favour and bringing through young players like Winnie, Lambert, Cameron, Shaw,Ferguson during his 18 months in charge Smith oversaw or fall from top 5 / contenders for Europe most years to relegation battles.

Danny Lennon inherited a team who were used to fighting relegation, in his worst season he has kept us at the level he inherited,and on top of that he has had won our first major trophy since Smith and our highest league finish in 25 years and last year in the league although we finished 11th we were only 2 or 3 results away from equalling or bettering our form and performance from DL's best season in the league.

Last season, we'd be creaming our Calvin Kleins with our squad 'going all the way to the championship'. Now, thanks to the dunderheids' 'running' Scottish football, and their cosmetic faux-Engerland rebranding, 'going all the way to the championship' means shitting your Calvin Kleins.

Still, Doncaster will have a hard-on for a year.... new logo, hmmm, shiny. Product. Customers.... Time for another wank.

Calvin Kleins - Naw

Primarks - Aye

To say we won the cup despite Danny Lennon is a joke.

Who brought in goncalves, Newton and dummett? it could be argued without them we would not have won the cup. This was all down to the manager! Had you ever heard of any of these players before? Didn't think so but our management team were on the case and know a player when they see one.

Gus couldn't lace Danny's boots in terms of forward play, team spirit and a passion for the club he is managing. He was a selfish wee man who only had 0-0 in his head before every game! don't know why you lot all worship him so much!

Lennon only brought in almost every player who was involved in the Cup win...I expect far more contribution than that!

We won the cup because we have a squad capable of getting "up" for important games when there is something in it for them but quite happy to underachieve week in week out in the league because there was nobody to replace them,this situation will be magnified this season unless we finf 4 players of a reasonable standard to come in,late is better than never but we all know its far from ideal ,The way this close season has been handled is disgraceful.If there is no money-tell us,if we are consolidating-tell us,just stop expecting us to buy season tickets while treating us like mugs

I thought we were crap in the league because DL doesn't know what he is doing and kept on bringing guys like Carey and Imrie and deploying them in different roles and dropping them after they had finally had a corker of a game and hit some kind of form? Now it appears that using squad players and having competition for places will be the solution to our problems caused last year by DL's constant tinkering!

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Lennon only brought in almost every player who was involved in the Cup win...I expect far more contribution than that!

I do wish forum user's would put more effort into posting. Whilst it is an entirely fair point you make you have stopped short of properly examining each player and who they were signed by. Wouldn't have taken you long.

I shall start

Craig Samson - Goalkeep - signed by our Mr Lennon

Paul Dummet - Left back - Loan signing brought in by our Mr Lennon

James Goodwin - Centre half - signed by our Mr Lennon

Marc McAusland - Centre half - re-signed by our Mr Lennon

David Van Zanten - Right back - re-signed by Mr McPherson

I shall let you continue in the manner that you should have started

I do wish forum user's would put more effort into posting. Whilst it is an entirely fair point you make you have stopped short of properly examining each player and who they were signed by. Wouldn't have taken you long.

I shall start

How much time did Tedious Tom save by abbreviating goalkeeper down to goalkeep? Wouldn't have taken too much extra effort to add those 2 missing final letters.

I shall start

I don't think we had a manager when we re-signed Vanzie

How much time did Tedious Tom save by abbreviating goalkeeper down to goalkeep? Wouldn't have taken too much extra effort to add those 2 missing final letters.

In my day they were known as goalkeep's. We also had left halves, inside forward's and a centre forward was a striker. We also had big wooden rattle's, tackity boots and woodbines.

I miss my prime, I really do.

I shall start

thumbup2.gif

I'll let you do that old chap. The point stands for someone to disprove. You've ably assisted me by starting the ball rolling. I think the only player not signed by Lennon, who was involved in the Cup semi and final, was Lee Mair.

Why is this 52 page long thread called "Danny says no more signings" when he is actively trying to sign grainger as we speak?

Cause Tedious Tom, who started the post, behaved like a newspaper hack, and summarised a lengthy interview with Danny to the one liner topic heading you now see.

For all our fans posting about the club's lack of ambition and suggesting we are cost cutting while sitting on a pot of LC final prize money we don't intend to spend, how do you think Celtic fans feel. League and SC double prize money, and prize money from reaching knockout rounds of CL. They seem happy to look at their best young prospect Tony Watt going out on loan this year and have just sold their top goal scorer from the last few season and an international midfielder and brought in £17m from 2 transfers and so far I am not sure if they have paid out any meaningful transfer fees. I expect Celtic to see if they reckon they will reach the group stages of the CL and may invest in their squad at that point.

I think our strategy has been firstly to try and get rid of players where the transfers were not working out as hoped: Imrie, Carey, Adam, Guy and where those types of players were no longer part of DL's future plans. I think with the number of youth players we are promoting that there is a recognition that it is unlikely they will all make the step up and establish themselves in our first team, 1 or 2 might make it or even do as squad players who may still be improving / developing and have a good attitude to being a squad player compared with some of the players we released. We won't know for sure about the young players until they have featured as subs and had some starts and a run. I would expect some of them who struggle to be farmed out on loan later in the season. So far, I don't see any problem with our strategy, especially when we seemed to have a problem with being consistent and putting a run together and when the mentality of our previous squad was being questioned rather than their strength /potential as a squad. I think we showed a bit of courage in saying we need to change the squad rather than tweak it if we want to try and make the top 6 this year instead of finishing 11th or 10th.

At this point in the transfer window / pre-season I would agree we look weaker than last season on paper. I think that last season we usually had a fairly strong looking bench on paper... eg Mair was there on the bench as an experienced defender if needed, Imrie, Carey and McLean found themselves listed as subs plus we had Parkin (experienced no frills seasoned pro, limited but will take a few chances and provide some cover for Thommo), Guy another striking option who more or less replicated Hasselbaink's season with us (flying start,lots of goals early doors, then dropped and scores twice in the last 6 months). All I will say about our strong bench is Mair was rarely called on as a sub and when he was we were in panic mode hanging on for points and he didn't always calm things down,and Idon't remember too many games when Imrie or Carey or Parkin or Guy came on and turned a likely defeat into a draw or victory.

I do think that generally we had an over-inflated confidence in how good our squad was and in reality when you look at the goals scored, assists, general form and results achieved Samson, Adam, Mair, Dummett, Barron, Newton, Imrie, Carey, Guy, Parkin, Goncalves didn't all reach their potential with us and I can see why the club tried in some cases unsuccessfully to move players on, or wouldn't match wage demands in some cases. For me, with Isma, I loved having him at the club, loved his flying start to his loan spell with us, loved his goals in big games but I think he faded during his loan spell and am not sure if he would have had the same impact if we had got him back for a full season. Our worst case scenario with Isma was he was our second Hasselbaink type replacement of last season and after Guy had his flying start and then faded, we got Isma in a few months later and he had a flying start and then faded and as a team we got the benefit of a couple of good months out of Guy and Isma taking the load off Thommo and helping him get his best haul of goals with us.

We probably won't know until December-ish how many of our younger players are up to the job,and same with the new goalkeepers.

I think Harkins could be a good signing and should take some of the pressure off of McGowan and may help add some goals from midfield but I think if McLean gets fit and finds form he has goals in him,McGinn has broken his duck, Teale and McGowan may not be great finishers but should get a few and provide a lot more assists.

Up front I think Reilly has the potential with his pace, skill and footballing brain to develop into a better striker than Hasselbaink, Guy and Parkin will ever be, if he stays injury free, gets a decent run and gets some confidence from bagging a few goals. I would like to see one more striker (minimum) added and reckon we have 1-2 years max left to enjoy Thommo near his best and there are no guarantees he can replicate what he achieved in his last 2 seasons again.

With our defence I feel we have gambled. As a unit they are capable as they have shown in previous of doing well as a unit and getting a healthy number of clean sheets together and giving the rest of the team confidence and a platform. But when DVZ, Cheesy / Goodwin / Mair screw up individually and as a unit they are capable of being the worst in the league or not SPL class. I think DL has shown with Travner, Tesselaar, Carey and Dummett that he does OK in finding left backs for us who can do a job on that flank (mainly as attacking full backs). I am surprised that with Barron's history of injuries since Thomson assault on his knee in that final in 2010 that DVZ is left with no competition for right back slot when I think defensively he can be the laziest and most erratic at the back.

I think our main reason for less signings is we are trying to get it right with adding 3 or 4 quality players to the nucleus of last year's staring XI. If we land Grainger at left back and he stays fit then along with Harkins we are half way there with quality / lower risk signings. I also reckon that Mair will not get enough games to trigger an extension to his contract and if we don't address central defence in our signings this season then it will probably be top of the priority list next year.

I also don't mind if it takes us a while to hit our stride. It seems to be a regular feature of the SPL that some teams get off to a flying start and then crash and burn in the new year (Aberdeen and Hibs seem obvious examples from last year and after looking like potential champions,aherm (!), finished the season not much better off than us). The chances are that if everything clicks in pre-season and DL and TC play a blinder and inspire the team to 2nd place then they and the star players would get poached in the January window! With that in mind,if we have a slow start, then pick things up and get in contention for top 6 in January (while still maybe flying a wee bit under the radar) and then peak in February and March to secure a top 6 place after the window has shut i think that is our most likely route to a top 6 / higher league finish.

We go into this season with less confidence and knowledge of our squad. I am fine with that, as I think some of our in previous seasons about the strength of our squad on paper, was misplaced. This year we are taking a punt on bringing in a few good signings adding quality to last year's squad nucleus and taking a punt on some of our young players developing and being a suitable replacement for players who were identified as a deadwood / surplus to requirements / not worth what we were paying them / not consistently good enough for us if we want to push on.

We've taken a risk, arguably some of the key pieces of the jigsaw are not in place while some of the lesser pieces have ended up being found sooner than the more important ones but hey ho.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy