Danny Says No More Signings

We won the cup because we have a squad capable of getting "up" for important games when there is something in it for them but quite happy to underachieve week in week out in the league because there was nobody to replace them,this situation be magnified this season unless we finf 4 players of a reasonable standard to come in,late is better than never but we all know its far from ideal ,The way this close season has been handled is disgraceful.If there is no money-tell us,if we are consolidating-tell us,just stop expecting us to buy season tickets while treating us like mugs

I agree with the first half of the post but I reckon holding out for a few quality players is the best option - look at the difference Esma and Newton (once he was played in the holding midfield role) made between the Ross County (1-4) & Celtic (3-2) games last season. It's frustrating being a fan at times, we all invest a lot of time and emotion with the club and there'a really very little we can do to influence what happens on or off the field. There's no doubt we're heading into brown trousers time with the season 8 days away and the sqad looking shaky but let's wait and see what happens. All we can do i trust that DL gets his men (Oooh err missus!) between now and the end of the transfer window - let's face it he's got a lot more riding on it than us.

with our current sqaud we will not be anywhere near the top six. As much as we kid ourselves on we are much weaker and lacking in depth. The odds are that Partick , Hearts and ourselves will contest the relegation dogfight. The bookies seldom get things badly wrong. 1 striker on the books and 1 week to go? sorry but Danny said he had identified targets and would try to get them in. It has not happened so im afraid the bookies will prob be right.

with our current sqaud we will not be anywhere near the top six. As much as we kid ourselves on we are much weaker and lacking in depth. The odds are that Partick , Hearts and ourselves will contest the relegation dogfight. The bookies seldom get things badly wrong. 1 striker on the books and 1 week to go? sorry but Danny said he had identified targets and would try to get them in. It has not happened so im afraid the bookies will prob be right.

FFS did you see the Hibs score last night? How you can come up with this when we have not kicked a competitive ball is mind boggling. You have not seen the Killie team other than to laud Boyd who is not the player he once was, Aberdeen's new recruitment have not yet been tested but did lose to Peterhead, Motherwell have lost Higdon their main goal scorer but should be ok with McFadden on board, Dundee Utd have a lot of new players untested while ICT and Ross County have lost some of their star players.

You may be right and we do not reach the top 6; personally, as long as we are not involved in a relegation battle then that will do for me. We are a club in transition like many in Scotland and it will take time to bring the young boys through and determine if they are good enough at this level. There is a benefit to being in the top 6 re a bigger part of the overall money pot. Other than that, it counts for nothing unless you win the league or get a short stint in Europe - and we can all see what this has done to Hibs.

Why don't we all dry out knickers and wait to see a)what further players are coming in (if any) and just how good the other teams are with their new additions. At this time, I would rather be where St Mirren are in terms of taking forward our club and managing our finances than many of the other clubs and particularly Hibs. God only knows how you get over that level of mauling?

FFS did you see the Hibs score last night? How you can come up with this when we have not kicked a competitive ball is mind boggling. You have not seen the Killie team other than to laud Boyd who is not the player he once was, Aberdeen's new recruitment have not yet been tested but did lose to Peterhead, Motherwell have lost Higdon their main goal scorer but should be ok with McFadden on board, Dundee Utd have a lot of new players untested while ICT and Ross County have lost some of their star players.

You may be right and we do not reach the top 6; personally, as long as we are not involved in a relegation battle then that will do for me. We are a club in transition like many in Scotland and it will take time to bring the young boys through and determine if they are good enough at this level. There is a benefit to being in the top 6 re a bigger part of the overall money pot. Other than that, it counts for nothing unless you win the league or get a short stint in Europe - and we can all see what this has done to Hibs.

Why don't we all dry out knickers and wait to see a)what further players are coming in (if any) and just how good the other teams are with their new additions. At this time, I would rather be where St Mirren are in terms of taking forward our club and managing our finances than many of the other clubs and particularly Hibs. God only knows how you get over that level of mauling?

As far as I am aware Kris Boyd has not officially even signed a new contract with Killie and Johnson is still working on that (8 days before the start of the season etc etc)

We signed 2 Cowdenbeath players that summer. One of them was Darren McGregor who was an outstanding success that season. The other, Wardlaw, was arguably substandard but did a decent job.

Other signings that summer included Paul McGowan, Craig Samson, Marc McAusland, Jure Travner and David Van Zanten. All successful signings surely? Indeed, a couple were spectactular successes.

Sean Lynch was substandard, accepted while Paddy Cregg did an okay job and is now with another SPL side higher up the league than us.

I don't actually think the signings made that summer were as bad as some folk think...

Danny didn't sign DVZ....

Hibs were a team punching above their weight to get into Europe by losing a cup final. Let's not forget that Hibs were a one man team last year and he has left this year.

As far as getting over a 7-0 humping, it has happened to most teams other than OF and usually OF handing them out. You stand up, brush yourself down and get stuck in to the next game.

Also your first paragraph seems to be comparing friendly results, ours are pants, wet ones at that.

As far as I am aware Kris Boyd has not officially even signed a new contract with Killie and Johnson is still working on that (8 days before the start of the season etc etc)

Yeah but killie have already signed our goalkeeper, a Scotland cap centre half and took our left back last season, signing boyd will just complete the final piece of their jigsaw. They are miles ahead of us in terms of having their squad ready for the start of the season.

We still need a left back, possibly 2 strikers and some would say another experienced goalkeeper, not to mention the shambles that are our centre halves!

Edited by Big Yards

Love the fact that hibs punching above their weight is losing a cup final 3 scud rather than 5-1

league cup winners should take the cup spot rather than runners up in the scottish. Pretty obvious. We would have been hammered by malmo as well but for a chance to see saints in europe and an excuse to go chase swedish burds for a few days it would have been well worth it.

The happy clappers are missing a vital point.

The knicker wetting is not just about the piss poor pre-season. Its about what happened in the league last season.

We were the 10th placed non Old Firm club last season. That equals our WORST ever top flight league performance in OVER 40 YEARS!

On top of that we conceded 60 goals last season - our worst since we came back up 7 years ago - and that was in a league where Rangers were substituted by Dundee! We have since lost arguably our 2 best players from that defence - Samson & Dummett!

The happy clappers can keep their heads in the sand if they like. The rest of us can all see that Lennon & Craig don't know what they are doing!

We are a club in transition like many in Scotland and it will take time to bring the young boys through.

I don't disagree we're still a club in transition, but don't necessarily understand why.

Last season we had the best squad we've had in a number of years and had an excellent cup win. We still faltered in the league, and in this respect we're not improving season on season.

It looked like we really had a platform to build on, yet by choice we're deconstructing again, and by doing so we remain in a transition period. How do we get out of this stage and move on & up?

It seems like some decisions are based on personalities rather than abilities; i'll use Carey as an example.

At the end of last season I had hopes of moving on & becoming SPL contenders; by this I mean competing for top 6, but I really can't see it happening with the current squad.

Edited by Jumbo Whiffy

Why don't we all dry out knickers and wait to see a)what further players are coming in (if any) and just how good the other teams are with their new

additions. At this time, I would rather be where St Mirren are in terms of taking forward our club and managing our finances than many of the other clubs and particularly Hibs. God only knows how you get over that level of mauling?

Ok we're going to be near the bottom with current squad

I don't disagree we're still a club in transition, but don't necessarily understand why.

Last season we had the best squad we've had in a number of years and had an excellent cup win. We still faltered in the league, and in this respect we're not improving season on season.

It looked like we really had a platform to build on, yet by choice we're deconstructing again, and by doing so we remain in a transition period. How do we get out of this stage and move on & up?

It seems like some decisions are based on personalities rather than abilities; i'll use Carey as an example.

At the end of last season I had hopes of moving on & becoming SPL contenders; by this I mean competing for top 6, but I really can't see it happening with the current squad.

I'd say Carey was an example of a decision based upon productivity as opposed to personality or ability, and that's how it should be done. He had all the ability in the world, but did not produce it often enough and hence did not earn a new deal.

Why are we in transition? Because Scottish football is broken. No club bar the Old Firm has any stability. Every other club operates on loans, 1 year and 2 year contracts with the rare 3 year deal. That does not breed stability. No longer can a club sign players, and then sell them on for profit, because after their good season they are either out of contract or only have a year left.

Folk want progress year on year, but sadly it wont happen because should a club have success the odds are that squad will be picked apart and the club have to start again.

Just look at clubs such as Hamilton, Falkirk in the recent past, and who Ross County have lost this off season.

The exception to the rule being Motherwell...but then again I wouldn't swap our League Cup run for their league success.

The happy clappers are missing a vital point.

The knicker wetting is not just about the piss poor pre-season. Its about what happened in the league last season.

We were the 10th placed non Old Firm club last season. That equals our WORST ever top flight league performance in OVER 40 YEARS!

On top of that we conceded 60 goals last season - our worst since we came back up 7 years ago - and that was in a league where Rangers were substituted by Dundee! We have since lost arguably our 2 best players from that defence - Samson & Dummett!

The happy clappers can keep their heads in the sand if they like. The rest of us can all see that Lennon & Craig don't know what they are doing!

Can't tell if you're trolling or just stupid

I'd say Carey was an example of a decision based upon productivity as opposed to personality or ability, and that's how it should be done. He had all the ability in the world, but did not produce it often enough and hence did not earn a new deal.

Why are we in transition? Because Scottish football is broken. No club bar the Old Firm has any stability. Every other club operates on loans, 1 year and 2 year contracts with the rare 3 year deal. That does not breed stability. No longer can a club sign players, and then sell them on for profit, because after their good season they are either out of contract or only have a year left.

Folk want progress year on year, but sadly it wont happen because should a club have success the odds are that squad will be picked apart and the club have to start again.

Just look at clubs such as Hamilton, Falkirk in the recent past, and who Ross County have lost this off season.

The exception to the rule being Motherwell...but then again I wouldn't swap our League Cup run for their league success.

If you have a player with all the ability in the world then I'd consider it the managers job to get the best out of him, particularly if he's young. I think most people were scratching their heads at this decision, with the assumption that "Danny must have something better in mind", but he didn't.

I understand that Scottish football as a whole is in transition, but we're failing to progress within it. Our team hasn't been picked apart by other teams, its been self deconstructed.

Why is progress year on year beyond us? Aspirations to finish 7 or 8th this season shouldn't be beyond us. I know it's early days, but with the current squad that's been cobbled together were likely to assume our position towards the bottom of the table.

Edited by Jumbo Whiffy

No why

Because you're either an idiot or you're trolling.

Either way your definition of being a "supporter" is very different from mine.

You only seem to come on here when you want to moan.

Did you post much when we were on our Cup winning run or our unbeaten league run?

The nature of the beast these days is that most clubs will always be 'in transition'. As others just said, with Bosman, short contracts, loanees etc, teams never form and develop - they constantly break up and each season is almost starting all over again. My problem (at this moment in time), is that we seem as a club to have chosen to 'start all over again' by our internal actions. No-one asset-stripped McGowan, McLean or McGinn. Samson was an unfortunate loss, as were the three LC winning loanee heroes, but the core - the solid core of our permanent contract talented players remained. We had a real chance to build on the League Cup success with a settled squad - yes, a settled squad and not in transition. Did the LC heroes squad under-perform in the league? Probably, but I think it was a squad worth tinkering with - not ripping to pieces. If there are off-field issues, or attitude issues with Lewis Guy, Graham Carey, Dougie Imrie or others - I don't see that, so in these cases I need to trust the management have made the right decision to get rid.

I'm a fan, I am not party to Ralston daily events. As a fan, I would have kept Guy, Parkin, Imrie, Carey, and tinkered with the positions affected by lost loanees and the keeper. Why have St Mirren not tried to knit those players into the 2013/14 squad and play some of them in their best positions? Again, if there were bad eggs in the basket, I understand letting them go.

I have a nagging feeling we have chosen to press a small self-destruct button. As a board, as a management team. It's their decision, I hope it doesn't blow up in our faces. In my view though, we didn't need major surgery, we were in a position to only need an annual check up.

Edited by pozbaird

Because you're either an idiot or you're trolling.

Either way your definition of being a "supporter" is very different from mine.

You only seem to come on here when you want to moan.

Did you post much when we were on our Cup winning run or our unbeaten league run?

Actually oaksoft, I'm intrigued. I was getting a bit concerned as I thought we only had 1 striker, but I must have missed something.