Doncaster Appointed Spfl Chief

Who was on the panel who voted him in? If that even was the case. Wouldn't surprise me if he knew the job was his weeks ago

Sent from my C6603 using Black & White Army mobile app

It's not that difficult to find out

A new board – on which Celtic's Eric Riley, Stephen Thompson of Dundee United and Duncan Fraser from Aberdeen, Les Gray of Hamilton Academical, Alloa Athletic's Mike Mulraney and Bill Darroch from Stenhousemuir comprise the club representatives – was also formed and its cardinal act of business will be to anoint a chief executive

whole heartedly agree,,the guys a total arsehole and all he seems to be interested in is getting the OF all revenues from the tv and sponsorship,THIS day will go down as the 1 that fkd scottish football for good

He's the Chief Exec of a limited company. It's his job to be obsessed with revenues and sponsorship and it would be the same whoever was Chief Exec.

I heard him being interviewed on Radio Shortbread at lunchtime. He swerved every question challenging his past form and criticism of the appointment (including the general dismay being expressed by supporters across the land). His non-responses invariably ended with a reference to "going forward" - seriously, you couldn't make this up.

This guy clearly has a file of very, very incriminating photographs. There can be no other explanation for his appointment.

I heard him being interviewed on Radio Shortbread at lunchtime. He swerved every question challenging his past form and criticism of the appointment (including the general dismay being expressed by supporters across the land). His non-responses invariably ended with a reference to "going forward" - seriously, you couldn't make this up.

This guy clearly has a file of very, very incriminating photographs. There can be no other explanation for his appointment.

Doncaster should really be a politician, I don't think I've ever heard him giving a straight answer to a question but he sure is good with not listening to the people who ultimately pay his wages (the supporters), spouting nonsense and telling everyone it's the only way then doing a u-turn when his latest pet project fails to get support.

I've got to admit in the 80's when the national sport was being run by the likes of Ernie Walker and Jim Farry and the SFL was in the hands of the Donalds and the Steedmans who would have thought fans would be looking back longingly at those heady days when the game was administered properly. Regan and Doncaster wouldn't have got a job back then shining their shoes.

Last year Doncaster either had no conception of any ramifications from the temporary death of Rangers or he lied to his back teeth. He's clearly a tosser and should have been out of his job last year. The fact that he isn't again begs the question did he do and say what he was told by the SPL chairmen? Are they really all behind him? If so, it beggars belief.

The new SPFL Board appointed him... dickheads! In saying that, he must be a very good yes man.

It was a 2 horse race ....The favourite fell at Mason Brooke .....I have read only one comment of endorsement for Neil Doncaster from an SPL chairman. "He is doing a great job" Peter Lawwell. Campel Ogilvie has of coarse already won his leadership battle where he came in both first and second in a tight race despite admitting he was/is unable to do his job due to being the main cause for the fcuk up in the first place. £95,000 or was it £150,000? ach who cares. The stark reality is the events which took place last year (ie boycott) will not happen again.....Some will just walk away and we will see a much reduced attendance for the new season.( this will be blamed on Rangers not being in the top league) There must be some reason we don't know about but to be honest I don't care ....All our clubs are with these appointments ....I will take my kids to a few games next season but never again buy a season ticket when we endorse this nonsense.... and when Rangers come back I am out for good. Nothing personal against some of my good friends who support the club...Just more of what has been created by our powers that be when they come for revenge. Frankensteins monster is an SFA/SPL creation and it didn't have to be that way....A great chance missed!

Not wanting to put words into people's mouths but.....last year when gilmour was giving his talks on the rangers situation, I think he pretty much made his opinions clear on Doncaster. Lets just say it was far from endorsing him!

The problem isn't Doncaster.

The problem is that we have 42 clubs run by incompetent twats from top to bottom.

Football isn't the wee cosy amateur clubset that it used to be where blazers could enjoy their wee bit of power behind closed doors but basically everyone in the game was looked after. The game was the most important thing and this was taken very seriously.

What happened next was devastating. TV money came along and threw a few sheckles our way. An undignified scramble took place with Rangers and Celtic barging their way through to take the lions share like two fat kids at a wedding scramble (remember those?).

What a professional sport needs is professional people running it but we're still being run by amateurs who have systematically and very publicly advertised over 20 years to every sponsor listening that our game is worthless. Then they act surprised when nobody wants to give us money.

Add in the shambles that was the forced capitulation of these same directors regarding the Rangers nonsense and you have to step back and ask whether it's worth the hassle. Do we really want to be thinking about Doncaster, Rangers, Hearts, Dunfermline, "improving the product" or any of that shit? Or do we just want to see some f**king football played well in a competitive exciting league where cheats are properly and quickly punished, where no club is too big to fail, where the entire structure of the league isn;'t organised for the benefit of just a handful of teams, with reasonable admission prices?

TV has ruined our game because the money it brings has turned 42 football club chairmen from good businessmen with profitable businesses into unthinking, seedy, money grabbing whores where every decision is ruled by money first, money second and money last, leaving our game a financial basketcase. I don't see how that will ever change.

Seriously is it worth it anymore?

The problem is that we have 42 clubs run by incompetent twats from top to bottom.

Football isn't the wee cosy amateur clubset that it used to be where blazers could enjoy their wee bit of power behind closed doors but basically everyone in the game was looked after. The game was the most important thing and this was taken very seriously.

What happened next was devastating. TV money came along and threw a few sheckles our way. An undignified scramble took place with Rangers and Celtic barging their way through to take the lions share like two fat kids at a wedding scramble (remember those?).

What a professional sport needs is professional people running it but we're still being run by amateurs who have systematically and very publicly advertised over 20 years to every sponsor listening that our game is worthless. Then they act surprised when nobody wants to give us money.

Add in the shambles that was the forced capitulation of these same directors regarding the Rangers nonsense and you have to step back and ask whether it's worth the hassle. Do we really want to be thinking about Doncaster, Rangers, Hearts, Dunfermline, "improving the product" or any of that shit? Or do we just want to see some f**king football played well in a competitive exciting league where cheats are properly and quickly punished, where no club is too big to fail, where the entire structure of the league isn;'t organised for the benefit of just a handful of teams, with reasonable admission prices?

TV has ruined our game because the money it brings has turned 42 football club chairmen from good businessmen with profitable businesses into unthinking, seedy, money grabbing whores where every decision is ruled by money first, money second and money last, leaving our game a financial basketcase. I don't see how that will ever change.

This. It is becoming harder to see how the A-symetrical relationship with Scottish football and Tv deals can result in any sustainable progression. The crux of the whole thing being that Tv deals and the money generated by them have increasingly become part of the expected budgets for teams over the years, when in an ideal world clubs should be budgeting to survive based "only" on income generated through ticket sales etc.

Tv revenue should be put back into the game in terms of grass roots development, decent training facilities, decent playing surfaces etc etc. Utopian as it may seem to suggest this as the way forward, it really is the only way to prevent the type of situation we find ourselves in at the moment.

I reckon we are headed in that direction, not by virtue however, but by necessity. The problems of Scottish football are far too many to start listing here, and they do stretch beyond the uneasy relationships with commercial revenue generation.

I think we will never get away from the fact that those 2 will dominate the game in terms of financial power, if we base spending on ticket/shirt sales alone then those 2 are still in a strong position, my point is that had OldCo Rangers and Celtic not vastly overspent at various points in time in attempting to make some sort of dent in Europe, then it follows that the likes of Hearts and Motherwell would have remained relatively static and so on...the resultant domino effect would have probably seen the game in the same situation with regards to relative competitiveness, but without the worry that a relegation or acute loss of revenue might cause the whole structure to come crashing down!

I think the result of all the chaos of recent years will be a more prudent approach across the board. We will see a decreasing amount of 2 year contracts, more loan deals, more young players, more Scottish players, which is all good...if only we could have been more realistic about this stuff 20 years ago however we would be in a much stronger position as a country...we really ought to be kicking ourselves at the moment.

I don't think the product here is inherently bad. I just think that it has been molested over the years by the sort of people who really have no place in running it.

Before turning this into an undecipherable rant, I should round up this post by suggesting that the league reconstruction malarky of the very recent past was in my opinion another missed opportunity...for so many reasons.

Edited by ss39Lavety

You've made some reasonable points, Oaky, and I think we virtually all share your low opinion of our so-called administrators of the football hierarchy. But your comment about 42 club chairmen being money grabbing whores is way below the belt. Obviously you include Stewart Gilmour among them and surely he has demonstrated time and again that he has St.Mirren's best interests constantly on his mind. Outwith the OF, Hearts at one time and Aberdeen at one time, how was any club going to make serious money? Remember that out of those four clubs three are pretty well basket cases. Apart from a few directors at those clubs, only overpaid players have made big dough. I imagine that if you take the four clubs I've named out of it, the income of directors of the other 38 clubs would be damned nearly laughable. I stand to be corrected if anyone actually knows different.

TV money is being pissed against the wall undoubtedly but we know where the bulk of the money has gone and certainly not to St.Mirren. A lot of club chairmen have performed miracles keeping their clubs viable with admittedly a lot of help from TV money and from their fans. Our chairman has done a terrific job and we are right to worry about what might happen when he is no longer there.

You've made some reasonable points, Oaky, and I think we virtually all share your low opinion of our so-called administrators of the football hierarchy. But your comment about 42 club chairmen being money grabbing whores is way below the belt. Obviously you include Stewart Gilmour among them and surely he has demonstrated time and again that he has St.Mirren's best interests constantly on his mind. Outwith the OF, Hearts at one time and Aberdeen at one time, how was any club going to make serious money? Remember that out of those four clubs three are pretty well basket cases. Apart from a few directors at those clubs, only overpaid players have made big dough. I imagine that if you take the four clubs I've named out of it, the income of directors of the other 38 clubs would be damned nearly laughable. I stand to be corrected if anyone actually knows different.

TV money is being pissed against the wall undoubtedly but we know where the bulk of the money has gone and certainly not to St.Mirren. A lot of club chairmen have performed miracles keeping their clubs viable with admittedly a lot of help from TV money and from their fans. Our chairman has done a terrific job and we are right to worry about what might happen when he is no longer there.

Rick you are quite correct. 42 clubs is over the top.

I completely forgot about all those small clubs like East Stirling who have never over spent.

It's probably about 20 clubs who have engaged in this behaviour repeatedly over the years.

At least 20 have engaged in what amounts to financial doping. As for Gilmour? Not that long ago we lost our home due to historic unsustainable debt but we were still buying good enough players to make the SPL when other teams had to watch us do it. No way am I applauding that whilst condemning Rangers/Hearts. What did he initially desperately spend an evening trying to persuade our fans to do about Rangers and why?

Despite agreeing that a 16 team league would be best, what has he repeatedly voted for and why?

Money money money money money.

It's all a seedy grab for money amongst all of these guys and for what?

What exactly is football about at the top end?

If I give these guys £10 million each what do you expect they'll do with it?

What about £100 million each?

Where does it all end and what is the point?

They'll just give it to more guys like Lee Mair. Is that really what fans want?

Any money in the game should be getting ploughed back into grassroots as said above but it isn't and it's the chairmen of those top 20 clubs who created this total shitstorm.

Edited by oaksoft

Gilmour has been good for St Mirren in many respects, but let's not kid ourselves here.

He slated the SFL clubs when they opted not to permit sevco entry to the 1st Division, and that was a sickening act of buck passing. I sat and listened to his Doncaster - fuelled 'end of the world' chat in the board room at SMP, and that was all about commercial revenues. It left a very bad taste with me, though I accept I was very much in the minority in that respect.

Akin with the vast majority of club chairmen, SG has demonstrated that he would lift his skirt for a few extra quid. Make of that what you will, but folk shouldn't be blind to the reality.

Gilmour is a legend. He listened to the fans and carried out their wishes

He took terrible personal abuse for rejecting the 888 set up because it was against the fans wishes.

Some on here are more focused on their hatred for the OF than the love for their own club. SG has always listened to the fans and always done what he believed to be in the best interests of the club. To compare him to Doncaster is plain wrong.

Gilmour is a legend. He listened to the fans and carried out their wishes

He took terrible personal abuse for rejecting the 888 set up because it was against the fans wishes.

Some on here are more focused on their hatred for the OF than the love for their own club. SG has always listened to the fans and always done what he believed to be in the best interests of the club. To compare him to Doncaster is plain wrong.

Who is comparing him to Doncaster?

I have a lot of time for him, and fully endorse the view that we owe him a debt of gratitude, but let's not be blinkered here.