Guy Gone

Surely "mutual consent" is the clue here. It will cost us nothing to let him go, and will cost Carlisle nothing to take him across. In turn, LG will then be able, through his agent, to negoatiate a better deal for himself at hhis new club. Winners all round.

I, for one, hope he does well at Carlisle.

Surely "mutual consent" is the clue here. It will cost us nothing to let him go, and will cost Carlisle nothing to take him across. In turn, LG will then be able, through his agent, to negoatiate a better deal for himself at hhis new club. Winners all round.

I, for one, hope he does well at Carlisle.

Spot on bud

I suspect the mutual cancellation of contracts could be cost neutral As Gosport Buddie has suggested above. Freeing up a player to join a club as a free agent can be to his (and the prospective new club's) benefit.

Absolutely no chance. Read what was said a few months ago about them. Imrie, Guy, Mair and Adam were told they were free to move to other clubs. This means the club would release them if they got a contract elsewhere.

Neither of them have managed to find a new club, that's why we've sacked 3 out the 4. Guy is as free to join a new club now as he was last month, jeez he was on trial at Carlisle while we were paying his wages!

The sackings of Imrie and Guy will have cost the club a small fortune, i'd speculate at least 3 months wages each. Here's hoping Danny doesn't give 2 year + deals to any more duds, it's costing the club dearly to get rid of them.

If that was the case, then he'd be gone as soon as Carlisle indicated their interest, which was before the end of last season.

Not at all. He stays with us, on full pay, until he strikes a deal that suits him. He can strike a better deal as we agree not to ask for a fee from the new club. Simples.

Not at all. He stays with us, on full pay, until he strikes a deal that suits him. He can strike a better deal as we agree not to ask for a fee from the new club. Simples.

bangin.gif

See when Danny says to Guy, Imrie, Mair and Adam ' You're free to leave' and releases that info to the public, what do you think he means by that?

He means go find another club now and we will let you go for nothing. If this had happened we wouldn't have paid money to Imrie and Guy to 'terminate by mutual consent'. The club was so desperate for Guy to get a contract at Carlisle that they paid his wages while he went on trial. Is this the action of a club that's going to ask Carlisle for a fee?!

I'm assuming the trial was unsuccessful, and with the club realising that no deal for Guy was on the horizon they had to cut their losses. This is why he was sacked today. We will realise that when he doesn't get a deal with Carlisle.

Anyone who seriously believes Guy and/or Imrie left the club without a pay off is naive beyond belief.

bangin.gif

See when Danny says to Guy, Imrie, Mair and Adam ' You're free to leave' and releases that info to the public, what do you think he means by that?

He means go find another club now and we will let you go for nothing. If this had happened we wouldn't have paid money to Imrie and Guy to 'terminate by mutual consent'. The club was so desperate for Guy to get a contract at Carlisle that they paid his wages while he went on trial. Is this the action of a club that's going to ask Carlisle for a fee?!

I'm assuming the trial was unsuccessful, and with the club realising that no deal for Guy was on the horizon they had to cut their losses. This is why he was sacked today. We will realise that when he doesn't get a deal with Carlisle.

Anyone who seriously believes Guy and/or Imrie left the club without a pay off is naive beyond belief.

Maybe Guy and Imrie did get a pay-off, but the management team and Brian Caldwell will have needed to balance that out against keeping unhappy players and paying them a decent wage every week to (maybe) be grumpy basturts floating around the fringes of the squad and not doing much for team harmony. Imrie's face was tripping him for a long time, and Guy was a dead man walking after being hooked that day.

I reckon getting rid and cutting our losses is the better option. In saying that, best wishes to both players and thanks for your efforts.

Edited by pozbaird

Maybe Guy and Imrie did get a pay-off, but the management team and Brian Caldwell will have needed to balance that out against keeping unhappy players and paying them a decent wage every week to (maybe) be grumpy basturts floating around thew fringes of the squad and not doing much for team harmony.

It was absolutely the right decision to sack them, there's no doubt about that. They were both liabilities.

The mistake was giving them such long contracts in the first place.

It was absolutely the right decision to sack them, there's no doubt about that. They were both liabilities.

The mistake was giving them such long contracts in the first place.

Them's the breaks though. Some you win, some you lose. In the past we have bemoaned not giving players a decent contract (in length), then we see them waltz off to other clubs for hee-haw.

It's a balancing act. I suspect Danny would get grief from some quarters if he didn't sign players up on a longer deal, and grief from others if he does.

I think the clue here is that training starts now. Does Guy come back to training and knuckle under or continue to look for opportunities to get out. He can't go on trials here there and every where and do training. I suspect that the money adds up as far a St Mirren are concerned. If Lex is right we would have let all 3 go right at the start of the season, (we did not let Adam go he was dismissed for breaching club discipline). Imrie left almost strait off. (Clearly wanted away) Guy waited until he had a club and Mair is still here. I doubt any of them got a big pay off.

I reckon when a player is released from his contract an agreement is made , whether that be the player receives a one off payment or the club continues to pay the player a percentage of his pay for the duration of the contract ,but release him from his contratc so he can get another club .

This means that we get rid of two players who aren,t part of our plans and use the savings to bring in a player who will be part of the masterplan

The whole releasing players from their contracts carry on just proves that we are actually better off signing a better quality of player on a 1 year loan than someone of lesser quality on a 2 year contract which can just be ripped up anytime! Contracts mean very little now

I very much doubt contracts cannot be enforced. If a player turns up for training and is available to play, the club would have to pay what is specified in the contract even if he never kicks a ball. If the player can't find another club or his only offer is a lot less, why wouldn't he sit tight. It beats the dole.

Whatever was paid to get shot of Grant Adam was money well spent!

Guy was probably released to let him get another club.

Lee Mair is a funny one, has basically been told to go and is refusing to do so! Unlike Adam and Imrie he is probably a good guy to have around the squad so not worth paying to get rid of him. I wonder if he will be able to fight his way back in to the team? I doubt it to be honest.

Lennon stated that Guy wanted a move back closer to home for personal reasons, im sure it would not have cost us anything with him pushing to cancel the contract, Imrie on the other hand Im sure would have been a few months worth at least.

Do you seriously believe that?

Whatever was paid to get shot of Grant Adam was money well spent!

Guy was probably released to let him get another club.

Lee Mair is a funny one, has basically been told to go and is refusing to do so! Unlike Adam and Imrie he is probably a good guy to have around the squad so not worth paying to get rid of him. I wonder if he will be able to fight his way back in to the team? I doubt it to be honest.

It's simple. Let me explain it one more time:

Danny told 4 players they were free to find another club this summer, in the hope that they would and the club could get shot of them without paying them off. Those players were the aforementioned. Of course, these players knew there was no way they'd find a club that would pay them anything like we were, so they sat tight. After a few weeks the club realised they were going nowhere and sacked 3 of them with ' mutual terminations '.

That way the players get a few months wages before they beat it. Why would they leave before then? Take Guy for example. He is getting a good wage at us,and he is free to train with other clubs while we are paying him. He could go on trial for as many clubs as he liked while picking up a wage from us. Why on earth would he leave for nothing?

With Mair it's simple, he said he's staying. This means he will not be agreeing to any mutual termination, for us to pay him off we'd need to pay him a years wages, and of course we won't be doing that. Who can blame him? He has a young family who are settled in the area.

• 2 weeks later...