The Open 2013

faraway saint

As good as that day was, it certainly doesn't count toward British sporting success on the international stage :P

Nonsense. The magnitude of the event was felt all the way from Paisley to Kilmacolm, from Johnstone to Bridge of Weir, Renfrew to Kilbarchan, and all places in between.

Get with the programme!

that would have pumped up the scottishness if he had been there,any other scots in it?

Think the only two Scots will be Lawrie and Lyle. Paul has been playing quite well recently. Might be worth a wee each way bet for you would get big odds. The winner of The Scottish Open will get in too.

Scott Jamieson and Richie Ramsay are there as well.

Think Lloyd Saltman might also be playing but no too sure.

You're right. I just forgot about Richie but I didn't realise Jamieson and Saltman were Scots. Been away from home for too long.

If only they allowed women members I would go to Muirfield.

PS That's utter bollocks. Don't like the no women rule but if I could afford it, I would be there.

One of the middleweight Yanks will win. Not Woods or Mickelson, one of yer' Matt Kuchar, Jason Duffner, Keegan Bradley types. Will quietly sneak up on the final day and win by sailing under the radar.

Not so sure Pozbaird, it's normally "known and provens" that win at Muirfield, it's known as a course that has to be learned.............if I was looking for a wee e/w flutter I could be tempted by Garcia at 28/1 who won the Amateur Championship at Muirfield (good memories) and generally shows up quite well at "The Open".

In saying that, if his putting is off he'll probably not even make the cut!!!

Not so sure Pozbaird, it's normally "known and provens" that win at Muirfield, it's known as a course that has to be learned.............if I was looking for a wee e/w flutter I could be tempted by Garcia at 28/1 who won the Amateur Championship at Muirfield (good memories) and generally shows up quite well at "The Open".

In saying that, if his putting is off he'll probably not even make the cut!!!

I'm not absolutely convinced either, but I just have a sneaky wee feeling that we could see a 'quiet man' American sneak up and grab the claret jug.

Good player but he's not currently on the qualifiers list.

He's listed as being in the field on the Open website. He's there on his world ranking, doesn't need to qualify.

Wouldn't bet on him though, I'd back Paul Lawrie before him.

I've been taking some golf lessons and, much to my great surprise, find that I'm getting quite into it. That said, I've no real interest in watching it on TV.

My freebie lessons are finished come Thursday, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do after that. Buying all the kit is bloody expensive, and then there is the joining a club scenario. To be fair, though, I'm possibly getting ahead of myself, given that I'm only marginally less shite than I was before I took the lessons (and, as poz will confirm, I was really shite!).

Anyway, apologies....offtopic.gif

I've been taking some golf lessons and, much to my great surprise, find that I'm getting quite into it. That said, I've no real interest in watching it on TV.

My freebie lessons are finished come Thursday, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do after that. Buying all the kit is bloody expensive, and then there is the joining a club scenario. To be fair, though, I'm possibly getting ahead of myself, given that I'm only marginally less shite than I was before I took the lessons (and, as poz will confirm, I was really shite!).

Where did you get your lessons?

DavidG recommended his friend at Paisley Golf Club to me for lessons, but after e-mailing and tweeting him about 4 times, I've never really got anywhere. He e-mailed me about two weeks ago asking me what time would suit me best, I told him and haven't heard back from him. Chased it up again and still didn't hear anything back. Obviously doesn't want my money. Anyone got any good recommendations for lessons? Few of my mates are interested as well, so perhaps even some group lessons.

Where did you get your lessons?

DavidG recommended his friend at Paisley Golf Club to me for lessons, but after e-mailing and tweeting him about 4 times, I've never really got anywhere. He e-mailed me about two weeks ago asking me what time would suit me best, I told him and haven't heard back from him. Chased it up again and still didn't hear anything back. Obviously doesn't want my money. Anyone got any good recommendations for lessons? Few of my mates are interested as well, so perhaps even some group lessons.

I've been going to the World of Golf place in Drumchapel. 6 free lessons for diddy beginners (you just pay for your balls....MISSUS!, and that costs £4.50 for 50).

To be honest, it is a bit limited depending on how many folk are in the group, but the teacher is sound, and you are alongside a group of people who are - for the most part - as equally clueless, so it isn't pressured in any way.

I've certainly improved, though that wouldn't be hard. For me, I just wanted to be able to take up the offer of a round of golf with mates without making a complete show of myself. Having taken the lessons, I now have something to work on, and I've genuinely enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who fancies trying it out. Nothing at all to lose.

ETA link:

http://www.worldofgolf.co.uk/web/guest/beginners-golf-glasgow

Edited by Drew

I'm tempted for an each-way on the Johnsons, Zack and Dustin. European wise it would be Olesen for me and I've got a sneaky feeling Stephen Gallacher will do well. It'll be interesting to see how Adam Scott does now, his Open record is pretty good.

Edited by stormtrooper

You weren't shite Drew - you were a beginner, you did fine. Stick at it.

I would definitely recommend watching the final day of the Open on TV though. It will be brilliant, it usually is, except for the times Tiger was waltzing away with it. Drama guaranteed.