The Open 2013

faraway saint

So is 100/1 a shite price for someone who isnt actually playing?

Turns out the list I was looking at is American and it looks like it's a load of bollocks. 100/1 for somebody not playing sounds like a fair bet to me but do it each way. I'm not much of a gambler as I mentioned but worth a punt.

Good to see Doak at the right end of the leader board, hopefully he can snap up an Open spot this week.

its amazing that everyone forgets about the scottish No1.

martin laird

Laird isn't Scottish number 1.....

Edited by davidg

You weren't shite Drew - you were a beginner, you did fine. Stick at it.

I would definitely recommend watching the final day of the Open on TV though. It will be brilliant, it usually is, except for the times Tiger was waltzing away with it. Drama guaranteed.

That's kind of you mate (cheque's in the postwhistling.gif ).

I had my last lesson last night, and have to say that I very much enjoyed going along. I've also been going to the driving range to practice inbetween times, and might sign up for the improvers course. I reckon I will stick at it, so don't write me off for another round sometime in the futuresmile.png

That's kind of you mate (cheque's in the postwhistling.gif ).

I had my last lesson last night, and have to say that I very much enjoyed going along. I've also been going to the driving range to practice inbetween times, and might sign up for the improvers course. I reckon I will stick at it, so don't write me off for another round sometime in the futuresmile.png

No problem. I've played twice over the last couple of weeks with Zurich Allan fae' the forum. We both play off 12 handicaps - I would say we're exactly the same standard of player, and our games were very enjoyable.

We moaned like fcuk about St Mirren for the entire round though!

No problem. I've played twice over the last couple of weeks with Zurich Allan fae' the forum. We both play off 12 handicaps - I would say we're exactly the same standard of player, and our games were very enjoyable.

Haha, pretty much sums up the rounds!! :)

And Drew - indeed, you definitely shouldn't think of yourself as shite. Golf isn't an easy game to pick up, I think I perhaps take it for granted since I started playing when I was about 8, but there really is a lot to try to take on board and practice before you can gain any sort of consistency. The positives though, are that as you are no doubt realising, you can really begin to see your own improvements with that little bit of practice, and it's a game that you can take up at any age as long as you're able to walk a couple of miles. Keep it up! :)

What course are yous members? I play at Renfrew

Where did you get your lessons?

DavidG recommended his friend at Paisley Golf Club to me for lessons, but after e-mailing and tweeting him about 4 times, I've never really got anywhere. He e-mailed me about two weeks ago asking me what time would suit me best, I told him and haven't heard back from him. Chased it up again and still didn't hear anything back. Obviously doesn't want my money. Anyone got any good recommendations for lessons? Few of my mates are interested as well, so perhaps even some group lessons.

I've passed your comments onto someone I know at Paisley.

I'm assuming this was the professionals you were trying to contact?

If a 'lesser' player had won the Scottish Open, then maybe a back-to-back with the big one would be unlikely, but Mickelson is a big contender for the Open no matter where he finished at Castle Stewart. Who cares though? The weekend's big golf news is that I was in St Andrews on Sunday and bought a brand new Taylor Made RBZ Stage 2 driver and 3 wood for less than internet prices. A wee bit of strategic Monty Python-esque haggling and bob's yer' auntie.

The clubs are brilliant, unfortunately the person using them is a twat. Still... If I put in 10000 hours of practice with them!

What a week for The Open, I predict a first time major winner at Muirfield.

Rory, Tiger, etc will be nowhere. I'd give Scott the best chance out the top ranking players with Garcia also in with a sniff due to his past result at Muirfield.

So hard to predict a winner but I reckon it will be low ranked player.

Best British bet = Poulter

Edited by davidg

I've got a feeling - unfortunately - that this could be the one Tiger wins. He has the game and his head seems to be getting back into the right place. Hopefully he bottles it again though.

Would love to see one of the Scots do it, Laird and Lawrie will hopefully be there or thereabouts. Failing that would be great if any of the Ryder cup winning team could win another major for Europe. Think Colsaerts is looking good and he could be a decent each way bet.

The South Africans will be dangerous as usual, Branden Grace seems to be the latest one from the conveyor belt. You'd expect at least one of him, Els, Schwartzl or Oosthuizen to be right in the mix come Sunday.

Should be a fantastic tournament, i think Muirfield is the best course on the rota, can't wait thumbup2.gif

I've got a feeling - unfortunately - that this could be the one Tiger wins. He has the game and his head seems to be getting back into the right place. Hopefully he bottles it again though.

Would love to see one of the Scots do it, Laird and Lawrie will hopefully be there or thereabouts. Failing that would be great if any of the Ryder cup winning team could win another major for Europe. Think Colsaerts is looking good and he could be a decent each way bet.

The South Africans will be dangerous as usual, Branden Grace seems to be the latest one from the conveyor belt. You'd expect at least one of him, Els, Schwartzl or Oosthuizen to be right in the mix come Sunday.

Should be a fantastic tournament, i think Muirfield is the best course on the rota, can't wait thumbup2.gif

That's called covering your bets. thumbup2.gif

Sid used to be great at this. whistling.gif