The Open 2013

faraway saint

Within reason The Open is a golden egg and will, IMO, never stop giving.

The majority of golfing fans have a reasonable disposable income so, again within reason, will continue to attend.

There is also a massive corporate input, falsely supporting any prices.

Check out the prices for next years Ryder Cup, these tickets will blow your socks off, mainly for the reason stated above.

You see much more on the TV, and can have a continual supply of cool drinks. thumbup2.gif

I was there on a freebie on Thursday. Was great, but I felt it was quiet- although hard to say as people move around over a big area. 3 groups had a lot of people following- Mickelson/McIlroy, Tiger/McDowell and Jimenez/Choi (a good number for Choi as Doosan had loads of Koreans over watching). Near 12pm on the 8th green I think there was a danger of their being more officials than spectators- perhaps 15 spectators max!

For companies inviting clients to the Open is a good idea as many corporate folk are into golf and companies can justify the high cost. However the R&A still need it to look busy and have a bit of an atmosphere, which is created around the course by the gate punters. You have to think in terms of money corporate/broadcasting and advertising will no doubt dwarf gate income anyway

In the main golfers have high disposable income, however many clubs are seeing memberships falling because of cost. At £75+£15 for park and ride parking it's £90 to get in. Sure you get all-day admission and they might point out the cost of other events, but it does feel too pricey and it would put off the casual person/people wanting to get into golf a bit more. Free U16 kids tickets is great but what is the point if the kids pester Dad to take them only for Dad to refuse to go because he can't afford a ticket&parking/petrol? My Dad wanted to go with my Mum, but he can't afford £165 for the two of them for a day, esp with no concessions for the two of them. £75 a ticket is perhaps fine in Kent but not in Scotland.

I'd have the tickets at £60 adult, £50 concession, £20 U21s and keep the £0 for kids- still expensive reflecting the prestige and days worth of entertainment. Equally parking in a field with frequent buses should be done for less than £15 a car I'd feel. The Open is a golden goose, but they need not to kill it by squeezing every penny from it.

I was there on a freebie on Thursday. Was great, but I felt it was quiet- although hard to say as people move around over a big area. 3 groups had a lot of people following- Mickelson/McIlroy, Tiger/McDowell and Jimenez/Choi (a good number for Choi as Doosan had loads of Koreans over watching). Near 12pm on the 8th green I think there was a danger of their being more officials than spectators- perhaps 15 spectators max!

For companies inviting clients to the Open is a good idea as many corporate folk are into golf and companies can justify the high cost. However the R&A still need it to look busy and have a bit of an atmosphere, which is created around the course by the gate punters. You have to think in terms of money corporate/broadcasting and advertising will no doubt dwarf gate income anyway

In the main golfers have high disposable income, however many clubs are seeing memberships falling because of cost. At £75+£15 for park and ride parking it's £90 to get in. Sure you get all-day admission and they might point out the cost of other events, but it does feel too pricey and it would put off the casual person/people wanting to get into golf a bit more. Free U16 kids tickets is great but what is the point if the kids pester Dad to take them only for Dad to refuse to go because he can't afford a ticket&parking/petrol? My Dad wanted to go with my Mum, but he can't afford £165 for the two of them for a day, esp with no concessions for the two of them. £75 a ticket is perhaps fine in Kent but not in Scotland.

I'd have the tickets at £60 adult, £50 concession, £20 U21s and keep the £0 for kids- still expensive reflecting the prestige and days worth of entertainment. Equally parking in a field with frequent buses should be done for less than £15 a car I'd feel. The Open is a golden goose, but they need not to kill it by squeezing every penny from it.

As long as they keep getting capacity crowds, and they seem to break records every year, the prices will not come down.

It's supply and demand, they sell out at the prices they set and they won't change.

Personally I wouldn't pay these prices but the R&A really don't care about people who don't go, only the people who do.

Anyway just stuck a few bob on Laird, 22/1, Poulter, 33/1 and Cabrera 16/1.

Going to be some finish tomorrow.

Said to the guys I was golfing with this morning that Westwood must be fav. After shooting a great round yesterday when most were going backwards it would give him a huge psychological boost.

Hope he hangs in there.

Golf tomorrow morning with Buckfast crew then sit in the golf club and watch all afternoon. :)

As long as they keep getting capacity crowds, and they seem to break records every year, the prices will not come down.

It's supply and demand, they sell out at the prices they set and they won't change.

Personally I wouldn't pay these prices but the R&A really don't care about people who don't go, only the people who do.

Except they aren't getting records and are far from sell outs. Attendances have been very disappointing.

We've had the best weather for ages, last time Muirfield it wasn't great weather yet crowds are down 25% or so down on Thurs and 15% down on Friday.

Even the American media is asking questions as to why the attendance is so poor.

I'd prefer to see packed galleries and a lot of kids there than empty stands scattered with people paying a lot.