Darren Purse

class of 76-77

Dont think it had any substance on their or will on here - its one area we are well covered for, unless Mair moves on its not a position that will get replaced.

I would argue it's one area we are not well covered for. McGregor is now a gamble until we see what he can do, Mair was asked to leave and refused, and only a few years ago many would have gasped at Mcausland being the number 1 pick at the back.

We're so badly covered in that position Goodwin was playing centre half and in fairness was far better than Mair.

Edited by Budweiser

Rumour over on pie and bovril that the ex Port vale central defender is in talks with Saints. 36 years old and very experienced, he's also made his money with previous big moves to the likes of Cardiff ,WBA and Birmingham so it could have some substance.

Probably too old now Vince but if he is still fit (and cheap) enough then it wouldn't be a bad signing at all. I had a season ticket at St Andrew's for most of the years he was at Blues, He was in his prime then and i really liked him as a player but it must be about 10 years since he left Birmingham.

Unless someone leaves I'd be very surprised to see us sign a centre half. We have McGregor, Goodwin, McAusland, Mair, Barron, Van Zanten and Naismith who can all play there. Many of them aren't natural to that position, but they're more than good enough for emergency cover

Darren Purse played at Plymouth , which is the back of beyond , so a year or two in Paisley might be a possability , think he would be an excellent signing , would have played with the hawk at Cardiff , think we have a wee chance of signing him , he seems one of those football journyman type players who doesn,t seem to mind where he plays his footie ,hoping he signs

• 5 weeks later...

We have McGregor, Goodwin, McAusland, Mair, Barron, Van Zanten and Naismith who can all play there.

Maybe they can all play there, but none are top notch with the possible exception of McGregor who has not proven reliable due to injury. I reckon we do need a Centre Half - preferably in the Bobby Reid mold.

Bobby Reid just without the dodgy knees right enough...

Bobby's knees were fine until he got crippled playing for a Scotland select. A sad end to what could have been a great career. He was always good for a few goals too.