Favourite Artist Or Singer

HAMMY #COYS

Well as a serious collector of music I have to say that Glastonbury was not what it used to be and that some of the acts were rank - Rolling Stones were overhyped, out of key and Jagger could never sing. Couple of decent performances but overall when the likes of Bruce Forsythe took to the stage then serious questions need to be asked.

Favourite artist or band depends on what genre of music we are talking about. I am a rock fan first and foremost with a leaning towards progressive rock so bands like Hogarth era Marillion would be my favourite. Old school stuff like Yes and Genesis etc are in there while there are some terrific prog bands and a whole area of excellent music around outside the UK like Riverside, RPWL, Spocks Beard and Gazpacho to name but a few while in the UK there are Porcupine Tree, Magenta, Big Big Train, Steve Hackett and Pendragon carrying the flag of rock. Pop wise, it would have to be bands like Supertramp, ELO and Queen as personal favourites while long standing act like Depeche Mode, Bruce Springsteen and Chris Rea are up there for me.

Tough one, but Tom Waits has to take it.

For me, though, music is all about mood, context, and mixing it up, so pinning a 'favourite' isn't something that comes naturally. Its a bit like having a best friend. I've never really understood that concept. I like to think I've got a wide and diverse network of friends with whom I spend time based on a variety of factors. Its what makes life interesting, and the same applies to music.

This week I have been mostly listening to Lester J. Allen.

Well as a serious collector of music I have to say that Glastonbury was not what it used to be and that some of the acts were rank - Rolling Stones were overhyped, out of key and Jagger could never sing. Couple of decent performances but overall when the likes of Bruce Forsythe took to the stage then serious questions need to be asked.

Favourite artist or band depends on what genre of music we are talking about. I am a rock fan first and foremost with a leaning towards progressive rock so bands like Hogarth era Marillion would be my favourite. Old school stuff like Yes and Genesis etc are in there while there are some terrific prog bands and a whole area of excellent music around outside the UK like Riverside, RPWL, Spocks Beard and Gazpacho to name but a few while in the UK there are Porcupine Tree, Magenta, Big Big Train, Steve Hackett and Pendragon carrying the flag of rock. Pop wise, it would have to be bands like Supertramp, ELO and Queen as personal favourites while long standing act like Depeche Mode, Bruce Springsteen and Chris Rea are up there for me.

sorry but I fell asleep half way through reading this

Have never picked up on you being serious about music never mind a collector you have good taste there. I’m a collector myself Amazon is brilliant in that you have dealers from mainland Europe and America . Picked up brand new vinyl copy of an old Dave Edmonds vinyl album I used have when younger. As a young man used to hear a track called jig a jig which I managed to track down again on Amazon on vinyl by a group called Skyclad they are like a heavy jig band awesome stuff .Also just bought the first two vinyl albums of Dire Straits. The best one found was the debut album from Gallagher & Lyle which was a full promotional copy for a radio station somewhere in America. It’s white label signed with all sorts of promotional stuff inside the cover. Slade Alive used to be played in the bedroom as a teenager now you get this and many more old albums getting the second time around put onto vinyl , great for music lovers only problem is the market is endless full of albums wanted. Can’t pick any one band or artist so many plus I love all types of music on the rock side it has to be prog.

Have never picked up on you being serious about music never mind a collector you have good taste there. I’m a collector myself Amazon is brilliant in that you have dealers from mainland Europe and America . Picked up brand new vinyl copy of an old Dave Edmonds vinyl album I used have when younger. As a young man used to hear a track called jig a jig which I managed to track down again on Amazon on vinyl by a group called Skyclad they are like a heavy jig band awesome stuff .Also just bought the first two vinyl albums of Dire Straits. The best one found was the debut album from Gallagher & Lyle which was a full promotional copy for a radio station somewhere in America. It’s white label signed with all sorts of promotional stuff inside the cover. Slade Alive used to be played in the bedroom as a teenager now you get this and many more old albums getting the second time around put onto vinyl , great for music lovers only problem is the market is endless full of albums wanted. Can’t pick any one band or artist so many plus I love all types of music on the rock side it has to be prog.

sorry fell asleep again. dad rock in all it's heniosness.

why is it that when you get to a certain age all you listen to is music from your youth. and you think modern music is rubbish.

I don't... and never will. 'Modern' bands like Silversun Pickups, Imagine Dragons, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Uh Huh Her, and many, many more are very much on my favourite bands list. The bands from my youth are Slade, Sweet, T Rex, Roxy Music and Wizzard! I only very rarely listen to a bit of Sweet and Slade.

why is it that when you get to a certain age all you listen to is music from your youth. and you think modern music is rubbish.

I'm into music and also buy modern music , have all the Fouls albums , Bombay Bicycle Club, Disclosure, Florence & The Machine , Arcade Fire , Hardrive, The Shins In fact could write hundreds more modern bands I have albums of. Only in Britain is music seen as kind of fasion a faze. Yet in actual fact it's artistic something that should not be fasion. So why on earth should old music not be listend too ? Many artisits listen to older music for insparation simply because music tends to repeat in one form or another. Popular pop songs are written in the most popular three chords as it sounds good to the ear. There are also music in my collection form before I was borm in the 50's the great time for swing jazz where Jazz Funk took it's roots. Also have a load of 60's music which sounds better than many bands of today. Sorry you are pigon hole older people which is wrong. I probably attend more gigs than you from King Tuts to the O2 in London also travel down to Manchester for gigs.

Enjoy music whatever your taste and let others enjoy there music whatever that manybe whether old or new. Remember one day you will be old and see that bit of music form your young days will still apeal you wait and see.

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

I don't... and never will. 'Modern' bands like Silversun Pickups, Imagine Dragons, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Uh Huh Her, and many, many more are very much on my favourite bands list. The bands from my youth are Slade, Sweet, T Rex, Roxy Music and Wizzard! I only very rarely listen to a bit of Sweet and Slade.

You're so coolpunk.gif

I'm into music and also buy modern music , have all the Fouls albums , Bombay Bicycle Club, Disclosure, Florence & The Machine , Arcade Fire , Hardrive, The Shins In fact could write hundreds more modern bands I have albums of. Only in Britain is music seen as kind of fasion a faze. Yet in actual fact it's artistic something that should not be fasion. So why on earth should old music not be listend too ? Many artisits listen to older music for insparation simply because music tends to repeat in one form or another. Popular pop songs are written in the most popular three chords as it sounds good to the ear. There are also music in my collection form before I was borm in the 50's the great time for swing jazz where Jazz Funk took it's roots. Also have a load of 60's music which sounds better than many bands of today. Sorry you are pigon hole older people which is wrong. I probably attend more gigs than you from King Tuts to the O2 in London also travel down to Manchester for gigs.

Enjoy music whatever your taste and let others enjoy there music whatever that manybe whether old or new. Remember one day you will be old and see that bit of music form your young days will still apeal you wait and see.

You're cool an all punk.gif

When you get to my age you cannea be arsed listening to music. prefer silence when I am relaxing as with 4 teenagers in the house the moments you get alone it's nicer to sit in a quiet enviroment.

edit to add due to my senility if I fancy listening to music I stick on a bit of Mogwai or Arab Strap or even a bit of grant green or donald byrd. and my favourite voice is Aretha Franklin

Edited by stevie-dee