Favourite Artist Or Singer

HAMMY #COYS

You see Ned, that's the kind of "crass" comment that makes me laugh.

"Horses for courses" and you come out with that music snobbery that's rife in certain age groups.

Music is for everybody and for you to think that, just because you think popular (Check that out, by the way) is crass suggests that anything out of the top 40 is "cool".

Sorry, piss poor post. thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif :thumbsdow

Where did I say popular music is crass? Popular music exists beyond the top 40. My point was that just there is a whole world of music out there beyond the top 40 which is ignored if not on the playlist. The kids like the top 40 and that's fine. Personally I dislike a lot of it and its nothing to do with age as I have bands like Script, Kodaline, Foals, Passenger and Hurt in my collection.

PS Two of your best ever gigs were Bowie & Dire Straits, what do you think contributed to their success?

Need to work on your quotes.

Obviously popular music exists outside the top 40 but you, quite clearly, dismissed this genre as throwaway which, as has been explained in further posts, is anything but.

The fact you dislike a lot of it doesn't make it bad or pointless.

Throwing in a few, although new, bands are hardly in the most popular bracket, further explains your view,

As has been said, music is very subjective so to dismiss chart music as unimportant comes across as very snobbish.

Need to work on your quotes.

Obviously popular music exists outside the top 40 but you, quite clearly, dismissed this genre as throwaway which, as has been explained in further posts, is anything but.

The fact you dislike a lot of it doesn't make it bad or pointless.

Throwing in a few, although new, bands are hardly in the most popular bracket, further explains your view,

As has been said, music is very subjective so to dismiss chart music as unimportant comes across as very snobbish.

It's kinda interesting that the cool/influential acts that critics would like to tell us define an era have rarely dominated the singles charts often being outsold by cheesy and novelty acts but there is no doubt that that some "popular" music has quality and staying power and some is very much disposable that you know won't be getting listened to 20 years from now - what was the No. 1 20 years ago?

Many bands being touted as the zeitgeist actually turn out to have a shelf life shorter than yer average boy-band and of course some cheesy acts have grown to become favourites with, I suppose, Abba being the prime example! I could probably write a book on the subject but it would end up being 92% pretentious toss! whistling.gif

As for my favourite band it very much depends on my mood

• for rockin' either The Clash or Thin Lizzy
  • for chillin' Pink Floyd or Sigur Ros
  • when I'm maudlin' Nick's Cave & Drake or Richard Hawley

but I might feel different next week.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Can't say I ever play Abba though I will admit to having an LP for many years. Was a bit surprised to find the best of Abba on my daughters iPod. Not that she should like them just her iPod is full of modern bands as you would expect. The big surprise in her iPod was some of my music Straight Shooter 'Bad com' Paronimia Def Leppard, 'America' Carly Simon and almost every album Fleetwood Mac made. She loves Fleetwood Mac all next to that club bleep bleep dj music.

It's kinda interesting that the cool/influential acts that critics would like to tell us define an era have rarely dominated the singles charts often being outsold by cheesy and novelty acts but there is no doubt that that some "popular" music has quality and staying power and some is very much disposable that you know won't be getting listened to 20 years from now - what was the No. 1 20 years ago?

Many bands being touted as the zeitgeist actually turn out to have a shelf life shorter than yer average boy-band and of course some cheesy acts have grown to become favourites with, I suppose, Abba being the prime example! I could probably write a book on the subject but it would end up being 92% pretentious toss! whistling.gif

As for my favourite band it very much depends on my mood

• for rockin' either The Clash or Thin Lizzy
  • for chillin' Pink Floyd or Sigur Ros
  • when I'm maudlin' Nick's Cave & Drake or Richard Hawley

but I might feel different next week.

Join the cool club punk.gif

Vincent Van Gough, Jackson Pollock and Rembrant

53.jpg

Jackson_Pollock.jpg

van_008full.jpg

But not necessarilly in that order

In the late sixties I tried to talk to my art teacher about Jackson Pollock.

She thought I was weird.

Didn't like me putting the canvas on the classroom floor.