Royal Mail & Our Posties

What's wrong with taking the whole profit for the taxpayer as opposed to a percentage of the profit as a tax?

The tories privatised BNOC for a quick buck and a share of profits, but it was wound up by the buyers. Norway kept their Statoil in state ownership and now have a massive hedge against the future when the oil runs out. We only have comparative pennies to show for the so-called free-market economy model.

This is only intended to make a few tory backers a quick buck, in exchange for cash backing of the tory party and a few seats on a few boards

That would be great. But there is absolutely no profit in it for the taxpayer. And politicians have proven consistently through the years that they are shit at running state businesses.

Norway still tax their citizens at abysmally high rates, nobody in Scotland would stand for it.

Norway still tax their citizens at abysmally high rates, nobody in Scotland would stand for it.

Where is the link between state ownership of their oil and high taxes?

One does not necessarily drive the other but clearly you think it does.

Have you any proof of that or is this another one of your unsubstantiated, "I'll say it cos it backs my view but I won't go to the effort of proving the link" buckled right wing "statements of fact" which we all love and laugh at?

It's that what you call massive large scale and widespread tax avoidance by big companies these days?

No. We are talking about the green tariff. You are talking about something completely different.

You can blame the politicians for their abysmal tax legislation and the over complictated system they have dreamed up. Tax avoidance isn't wrong, its a moral duty.

Do you ever overpay your tax deliberately because you love the state so much?

Where is the link between state ownership of their oil and high taxes?

One does not necessarily drive the other but clearly you think it does.

Have you any proof of that or is this another one of your unsubstantiated, "I'll say it cos it backs my view but I won't go to the effort of proving the link" buckled right wing "statements of fact" which we all love and laugh at?

There isn't. Norway was the state being talked about and this is how they choose tooperate. They have decided that the state should build up a huge sum of money while also robbing the citizens of their hard earned cash and then attempting to redistribute it "fairly". It may work there, I don't know and I have no intention of ever living there either. Scots wouldn't put up with being taxed highly, we simply arent used to it and wouldn't take it at all well.

I have friends that work in some of the gulf states where the oil is owned by whatever geezer is heading up the state. So I am well aware that it is possible to be wealthy from oil without having a suffocating state system and huge personal taxation like Norway.

Edited by Reynard

The successive governments , plundered the Royal Mail coffers for years , and then when the Royal Mail was expected to bail out Parcelforce on an on-going basis to the tune of 18million per annum , the Royal Mail got into problems , but the government made sure it was profitable again by reducing the service over a period of years so that they could sell it. .

I have friends that work in some of the gulf states where the oil is owned by whatever geezer is heading up the state. So I am well aware that it is possible to be wealthy from oil without having a suffocating state system and huge personal taxation like Norway.

Gulf States as a paradigm for excellence.: yer heid's mince.

I've worked in Gulf States.

The work is mostly done by overseas workers who create that wealth, but do not share in the "wealth". Nor is there a state system (suffocating or not) to take care of them as they age, to educate their children, or to reward their input to that wealth creation. And they are taxed.

Bahrain's riots exemplify the wee problem that exists with such iniquitous arrangements.

There isn't. Norway was the state being talked about and this is how they choose tooperate. They have decided that the state should build up a huge sum of money while also robbing the citizens of their hard earned cash and then attempting to redistribute it "fairly". It may work there, I don't know and I have no intention of ever living there either.

I'm sure Norway and the Norwegians are distraught, desolate, bereft.

Why won't Reynard come to live here!?

:)

Guest TPAFKATS

"Tell Sid"? Oh yes that one of the most successful privatisations of all time. British Gas' monopoly was smashed, competition and efficiency increased, and the tax payer hasn't been saddled with the need to subsidise the industry for over 20 years.

I took you off ignore to read this - f**king priceless. I'm literally pissing myself laughing lol.gif

I'm sure Norway and the Norwegians are distraught, desolate, bereft.

Why won't Reynard come to live here!?

smile.png

I spoke to a group of Norwegians tonight, they said they have never heard of Reynard?

They never knew you either?

They were loving our cheap prices, especially bevvy, which they were consuming as though tomorrow was the end of the world.

Guest TPAFKATS

I spoke to a group of Norwegians tonight, they said they have never heard of Reynard?

They never knew you either?

They were loving our cheap prices, especially bevvy, which they were consuming as though tomorrow was the end of the world.

Did you ask them?unsure.png

There isn't. Norway was the state being talked about and this is how they choose tooperate. They have decided that the state should build up a huge sum of money while also robbing the citizens of their hard earned cash and then attempting to redistribute it "fairly". It may work there, I don't know and I have no intention of ever living there either. Scots wouldn't put up with being taxed highly, we simply arent used to it and wouldn't take it at all well.

I'm employed out of Stavanger and have to visit Norway at least 4 times a year ,yes they are taxed high but what you don't see in Norway is anyone poor it's none existent yes I travel to different areas out with Stavanger. If you lose your job in Norway you are paid your full salary for two years , not bad. They say they have the highest standard of living in the world even with their high taxes so they are doing something right. Plus they have bundles and bundles of money sitting in the bank unlike the UK which is financially is one big hole thanks to politicians of all party's having no idea how to run the bloody country

I'm employed out of Stavanger and have to visit Norway at least 4 times a year ,yes they are taxed high but what you don't see in Norway is anyone poor it's none existent yes I travel to different areas out with Stavanger. If you lose your job in Norway you are paid your full salary for two years , not bad. They say they have the highest standard of living in the world even with their high taxes so they are doing something right. Plus they have bundles and bundles of money sitting in the bank unlike the UK which is financially is one big hole thanks to politicians of all party's having no idea how to run the bloody country

All that AND they have never joined , Europa. Makes you wonder . .rolleyes.gif

Define poor.

The UK is in a hole thanks to having to borrow money for its massive welfare spending and its ridiculous health service.

We borrow money to do this and it actually costs us more in interest payments every year than the entire education budget for the UK.

Id really love to see a political party go into an election promising to raise taxes to Scandinavian levels in order to pay for the programme of welfarism. They would be destroyed by the electorate.

I don't think I'll ever stop laughing at this nonsense.

You've actually compared Gulf states as being more ideal than Norway.

Gulf states which have seen widespread poverty and rioting, abuse of fundamental human rights, oppression of women, religious oppression and levels of inequality which would make your ears bleed. You've compared this with Norway which appears to be one of the most civilised and equal nations on our planet and concluded that "The Only Way is UAE". You genuinely are a buckled ring wing Thatcherite tit. Either that or you're on a windup. Absolutely hilarious lol.gif

Define poor.

The UK is in a hole thanks to having to borrow money for its massive welfare spending and its ridiculous health service.

We borrow money to do this and it actually costs us more in interest payments every year than the entire education budget for the UK.

Id really love to see a political party go into an election promising to raise taxes to Scandinavian levels in order to pay for the programme of welfarism. They would be destroyed by the electorate.

Take we are comparing Norway to the UK ? We don't need to go there as we know the answer to that one. The UK as a country will never get it's debt down until it realizes it's place in the world. We can no long afford to be a military unit of the United States. We can no longer afford to have Trident. We can no longer afford to pump money as foreign we need to concentrate more on our own. Jesus Christ food parcels given out by charity go up year on year .Companies such as Amazon , Starbucks and the Tory funding machine individuals need to start paying the Tax they should be. Law is being changed ( how long will that take ) so Amazon and the likes have to pay up. It was the politicians who set up the tax dodge in the first place. Quite honestly when I indulge in all this it makes me think Independence the sooner the better. Only the South East is the benefactor of these hard times.

"Tell Sid"? Oh yes that one of the most successful privatisations of all time. British Gas' monopoly was smashed, competition and efficiency increased, and the tax payer hasn't been saddled with the need to subsidise the industry for over 20 years.

Took a while to get back to this topic but I'm astonished (NOT) that you don't flesh out this statement to fill in the reasons WHY things had went so well for the privatised industry and WHY the share offer was appealing.

Look at the subsidies before, during and after the issue.

As for the Norwegian tax levels. I worked in Norway for a period long enough to pay through their tax regime.

Yes. Their base rate, at 38%, was a lot higher than the UKs but they have so many of the allowances that no longer apply in our country that I actually payed substantially less tax than would have been due here.

Plus they have bundles and bundles of money sitting in the bank unlike the UK which is financially is one big hole thanks to politicians of all party's having no idea how to run the bloody country

They should ask the Aliens to give them a hand. :whistle:

The existing ones up to the point of privatisation will be I'm sure. Not afterwards, they will need to fund their own after that, which is one reason that the unions will be whining like bitches.

The whole concept of the Royal Mail is to get letters and parcels from point A to point B. I couldn't care less how its done and I also couldnt care less about rural types and their travails. They get subsidies ferries too. There should be a reason for populations being in certain places, and "nice scenery" may well be one and if it is then don't expect everyone else to subsidise your lifestyle choices.

Of course the Unions will be complaining. Their members have been contributing to a Pension scheme in which their employers have not been carrying out their end of the bargain. They have basically been stealing from their employees and have been getting away with it.n Don't blame the employees.

Oh yes... you forgot to add... where costs to the customer (and profits to Gas companies) have went up way over inflation every year...

Why, I should be glad and grateful to be paying over 4 times what I used pay to this shining example of Capitalism!