Oh Dear.

faraway saint

A "child" of 14 runs up a bill of £3,800 using her mobile phone while on holiday in New York.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/schoolgirl-racks-up-%C2%A33-800-mobile-bill-on-new-york-holiday-through-continuous-facebook-updates-112530439.html#AV369dQ

Her provider sent her warnings she had gone over her data limit and stopped her making calls but allowed her to continue to use her data roaming so she whistling.gif continued.

Below is a statement from Orange..................

'Customers receive warning texts to alert them of their data usage and we have an app that helps them monitor data usage, and opt-in to a data bundle if needed.

'In this instance the customer received numerous text alerts which updated them on the roaming costs for the USA, and also updated them on their data usage.

'Once they had reached the limit of their data bundle, the customer actively opted out of our roaming data cap so that they could continue to use data, effectively removing the in-built protection from large data roaming bills.'

I'm firmly of the opinion that she, or her parents, should pay up as she was well warned.

Tough life. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

A "child" of 14 runs up a bill of £3,800 using her mobile phone while on holiday in New York.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/schoolgirl-racks-up-%C2%A33-800-mobile-bill-on-new-york-holiday-through-continuous-facebook-updates-112530439.html#AV369dQ

Her provider sent her warnings she had gone over her data limit and stopped her making calls but allowed her to continue to use her data roaming so she whistling.gif continued.

'Customers receive warning texts to alert them of their data usage and we have an app that helps them monitor data usage, and opt-in to a data bundle if needed.

'In this instance the customer received numerous text alerts which updated them on the roaming costs for the USA, and also updated them on their data usage.

'Once they had reached the limit of their data bundle, the customer actively opted out of our roaming data cap so that they could continue to use data, effectively removing the in-built protection from large data roaming bills.'

I'm firmly of the opinion that she, or her parents, should pay up as she was well warned.

Tough life. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

This smacks to me of a divorced Mother taking her errant daughter on holiday - ignoring all the warning texts and leaving the absent father with a massive phone bill. I'd make the daughter and the mother pay it. The father is clearly innocent

There's no doubt in my mind the bill needs to be paid. It is the family, be it Mother, Father or Daughter, who are responsible for the usage.

As for kids using "mummy's phone" for gaming. If my grandkids wants to use my mobile to play angrybirds or whatever the new fad is Idownload the ap. then I put my phone on "flight mode".

If it affects the game then TOUGH! They just need to find another game.

Edited by stlucifer

Pay as you Go for children (Until they have a job and can pay for it themselves), ultimate control over usage and cost.

Easy.

Yeah all 3 of my kids are on PAYG as well. All 3 pay for it themselves and the youngest (12) has to ask mum for top up which she then pays back.

They only ever put a fiver on at a time once a month.

I'd never allow a 14 year old to have a contract phone. Who the hell is stupid enough to do that????

My eldest is 18 and is free to do as he likes but he prefers the PAYG because he knows his usage is always capped.

This bill needs to be paid and the parents AND the child need to take responsibility.

I am not comfortable calling a 14 year old a child either. More than old enough to understand what is going on.

I can't imagine why the mother thought it would be a good idea to advertise her own stupidity in the newspapers.

I quite like the concept of pay as you go children. When you wish one to wash your car for example or perhaps when small hands are needed to repair dangerous machinery then such a scheme would be smashing. A jam boy for the gowf would be especially desirable with the current midge and cleg problem.

Although a user guide would have to clearly state that you cannot abuse them in the Gary Glitter or anything Jimmy Saville like or Kevin Webster like.

Sent from my redundent hairdryer using Black & White Army mobile app

Edited by TediousTom

This is part of the problem with single mothers or parents who don't have the decency to get married and stay together,constant drain on resources at all levels. We will no doubt be left to pay this,no wonder phone rates are so high to cover costs for these kind of people.

arsewipe

There's no doubt in my mind the bill needs to be paid. It is the family, be it Mother, Father or Daughter, who are responsible for the usage.

As for kids using "mummy's phone" for gaming. If my grandkids wants to use my mobile to play angrybirds or whatever the new fad is Idownload the ap. then I put my phone on "flight mode".

If it affects the game then TOUGH! They just need to find another game.

If my grandkids want to use my phone for games I hand then the phone set and tell them to get dialing

746-RED-lg.jpg

Edited by insaintee

All kidding aside - did Orange "Guess" it was an influential "businessman/woman" on an exec trip -so "lets not cap it"

A wee bit of common sense from the phone operator would have rang alarm bells / not profit bells!

(Well seeing this is a PAISLEY website!!) whistling.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifwhistling.gif

What about personal responsibility of the teenager and the parents?

Really ???

I think most people will be laughing at her stupidity.

I always prefer to keep my mistakes as quiet as possible.

Now her family, friends, colleagues and future employers know her as a thick twat.

Can you name one upside of publicising this?

I think most people will be laughing at her stupidity.

I always prefer to keep my mistakes as quiet as possible.

Now her family, friends, colleagues and future employers know her as a thick twat.

Can you name one upside of publicising this?

She has had her 15 minutes of fame and is the subject of a thread on this forum? (That's 2)

Is that enough?

Her provider sent her warnings she had gone over her data limit and stopped her making calls but allowed her to continue to use her data roaming so she Posted Image  continued.

Tough life. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

the bill went over the usual £50 per month :blink: mental!